Yo, Nederlanders

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Yo, Nederlanders

Post by Salvation122 »

Given the healthcare debate going on over on this side of the pond lately, I've been looking at the way other nations handle things, and I stumbled upon this awesome paper (PDF link, 40 pages) on the Dutch/Swiss healthcare system.

The last time we talked about healthcare on Bulldrek, it was before the 2006 revamp of the Dutch healthcare system. I actually really like the system as presented in that paper - for those who didn't read it, it's basically highly regulated, price-fixed universal plans offered through private companies, with additional unsubsidized supplemental coverage available - although I'm not certain it's workable for a bunch of fatasses like us.

How has it treated you? Do you get supplemental care through your job? How much does it run you, and what are the benefits of supplemental coverage over basic? Do you prefer the system you have now, or the one you had previous to 2006, or would you rather something else entirely?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I haven't fully read over the link, but from what I have seen, it actually looks like a system I could get behind. That basically ensures it would die a stillborn death before every getting off the ground over here.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Re: Yo, Nederlanders

Post by DV8 »

Salvation122 wrote:How has it treated you? Do you get supplemental care through your job? How much does it run you, and what are the benefits of supplemental coverage over basic? Do you prefer the system you have now, or the one you had previous to 2006, or would you rather something else entirely?
Before the healthcare changes of 2006, I paid 48 euro a month, which got me basic coverage and some extra dental coverage, since I have a tendency to break my teeth a lot in sports. Now I pay 110 euro a month (also includes extra dental), since the restructuring favours families. Basic coverage is close to 80 euro a month, but the basic coverage is pretty complete, so unless you need long term physiotherapy or psychotherapy, it'll cover pretty much all of the basics, including birth-control, hospitalisation, etc. Also, the new system is a bit more flexible in what you do and don't want to be covered for. If your eyes are perfect, there's no reason to get coverage for that, for instance. If you're a man, you might want to look into a plan that cuts out coverage of child-labour.

Things haven't become much clearer, to be honest, but that doesn't mean it's complicated. You pay your monthly premium and that nets you a co-payment of 150 euro, annually. So the first 150 euro of all costs you incur are your own. Anything beyond that is covered. Usually, for certain types of costs, there's a budget within basic coverage, which you can extend by getting extra coverage plans. For instance, you're insured for, say, 700 euro worth of physiotherapy each year. You're insured for 1000 euro worth of psychotherapy, etc. You can extend your annual co-payment, which brings down the price of your monthly premium, so you can play a little bit with the numbers to find the right fit. If you're hardly ill, you increase your annual co-payment, for instance.

You don't have to declare everything yourself, but that kind of depends on the type of service you're enjoying. Personal physicians will never charge you anything, they'll just jot down your insurance info and charge your insurance company directly. Some dentists will also do this, but not all of them. This is also the case with a lot of pharmacies, but it also kind of depends on the medicine you're getting, but most common medicine they'll take care of things with your insurance company without you getting in the middle and having to cough the money upfront. Especially when you have repeating subscription for anti-depressants or for asthma-inhalers and such.

I'm probably overlooking a lot of important details, but I'm just going by what I know and have to deal with myself.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's excellent. Thanks, Dennis.