Off-Grid Survival

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Off-Grid Survival

Post by UncleJoseph »

I recently came across Off-Grid.Net, a website dedicated to sustainable, off-grid living. Michael Bunker is a contributing writer, and is writing an on-going book, which is published in chapter form. The link below takes you to his book. I've only read the introduction thus far. However, I am in agreement with many of his thoughts (except all the god stuff), especially about the downfall of civilization and the possibility of that happening to the modern world. I've long been saying that the United States will go the way of Rome someday.

Here's the link to the chapter list:

Surviving Off Off-Grid

Be forewarned, this guy is super-preachy, in the religious sense. His entire premise on off-grid survival is to be obedient to God, and to live according to scripture. Saying that I disagree with the religious concepts in his book is to disagree with much of the book itself. But his ideas on sustainable and minimalist living are intriguing.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think there are probably better sources for the 2 percent of what he's saying that's not bullshit, but he'd say much the same thing about me.

You should just spend a weekend chillin' with the Amish. There's nothing this guy can tell you that you can't learn watching them, and applying your own knowledge of modern technology; between the two is your middle ground, wherever you'd like it to be.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I probably should have read more of his chapters before initially posting. I'm finding that he really just wants to talk about how he's the only true Christian, and everyone else is spinning falsehoods and evil.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.