What music speaks to you?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Sam
Tasty Human

What music speaks to you?

Post by Sam »

Are there certain songs that always make you happy? sad? want to hack your wrists into shreds? hump the nearest object?
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Re: What music speaks to you?

Post by Eva »

Sam wrote:Are there certain songs that always make you happy?
Pretty much anything off of Weezer's Green Album. Basement Jaxx. Certain schlagers.
sad?
Lots and lots of John Mayer. Those two Beck albums right after his girlfriend left him.
want to hack your wrists into shreds?
Jeff mothereffing Buckley. Michael Jackson's Heal the World.
hump the nearest object?
Closer and Discipline by Nine Inch Nails. Honey by Tosca (not the remix, the original one).
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

Ha! I almost added an' Eva, you can't pick Buckley' caveat. Not that we mind melded or anything...
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Closer and March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails. 46&2 by Tool. Shostakovich 8th String Quartet
sad?
A song called Before You Go, by an acapella group from Ithaca.
Most dance and popular music, but especially Lily Allen.
hump the nearest object?
I'd say that's me as per usual, but maybe something like Slow Like Honey performed by Fiona Apple puts some smoke in it.
Last edited by Marius on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I'll think about this and come back with a real answer, but it's hard to say if it's the music that influences my mood, or more likely, the music I listen to when I'm in that mood already. Anyway, will provide a real answer soon.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

My musical tastes vary greatly. I'm currently listening to 20's and 30's swing music and that's keeping me pretty happy currently. Before that it was Modern Jazz. Before that it was Blues. Before that it was Dance. Before that it was 80's and so on.

It's very hard to peg any one thing in this as a result, as my tastes will shift within a week.

Bug Powder Dust - La Funk Mob Remix always makes me smile, but then again so does pretty much anything with a touch of funk to it Gotta Make Moves does the same thing, and it's not that great.

Sad is easy, though. Hide and Seek.
Marius wrote:Most dance and popular music, but especially Lily Allen.
Really? She's about the only thing in popular music that I actually find decent. No auto-tuning on her voice, interesting lyrics for the most part, and the music isn't a complete digital mash. Why do you hate her so much?
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Lately - say the last month or two - the music I've been listening to mostly makes me want to beat the shit out of something. NIN's Every Day is Exactly the Same, 1,000,000, and Demon Seed; Tool's Hooker With a Penis, Anima, Rosetta Stoned, and Vicarious; Thrice's The Arsonist and Paper Tigers; Boysetsfire's After the Eulogy, So Long... And Thanks for the Crutches, and (Compassion) As Skull Fragments on the Wall; various and sundry RATM. I think I'm just going to drop all of that onto a playlist for when I start lifting again, honestly.

Miles Davis can mellow me out like nothing else save maybe Radiohead - although How to Disappear Completely and Videotape are pretty /wrists-inducing.

I maintain that it is utterly impossible to be upset when listening to, well, anything by the Vandals, really. Less Than Jake and NOFX tend to induce stupid-hyper states from me as well.

Music doesn't make me horny. That's honestly a really odd reaction, to me.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Crazy Elf wrote:Sad is easy, though. Hide and Seek.
Ooh, that's a good one. Can't click the link right now but if it's the song Imogen Heap does (as well, maybe?) then I'm totally there with you.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Eva wrote:Ooh, that's a good one. Can't click the link right now but if it's the song Imogen Heap does (as well, maybe?) then I'm totally there with you.
Not even close. The only thing I found upsetting about the Imogen Heap song was the excessive digitisation of her voice.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Hobo Blues always calms me down. Chain of Fools gets me happy quick. I don;t have songs that make me actually sad, but David Bowie's Wild is the Wind'll do the trick.

Also, uh, I giggle by butt off when I listen to Motherlovers... :)
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

A bunch of songs off of Less Than Jake's Loosing Streak, a bunch of Weezer, some Dave Mathews Band, One Fierce Beer Coaster (Bloodhound Gang), Ludacris' Move Bitch, and a smattering of other assorted songs.
sad?
Radiohead.
I'm not sure what this one means. Do we mean songs that we hate, or songs that make you even more depressed than 'sad'?
hump the nearest object?
Pretty Hate Machine (NIN), some of Garbage's V 2.0, some of Snake River Conspiracy.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Salvation122 wrote:Music doesn't make me horny. That's honestly a really odd reaction, to me.
I don't know, Principles of Lust by Engima always does it for me.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

Lin : hrm, that's funny, hack into your wrists has always meant sad to me, it makes sense it can also be an act of self-descrutive hate too.

Gimme both!
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

Salvation122 wrote:Music doesn't make me horny. That's honestly a really odd reaction, to me.
Really?! Guy, you are missing out. Can you do me a favour?

Please can you listen to Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album and then report back on whether it made you want to shag?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Horny is sort of a constant state for me. Few women don't manage to evoke at least a passing thought of desire from me. Music can accentuate that, depending on my mood.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Sam wrote:
Really?! Guy, you are missing out. Can you do me a favour?

Please can you listen to Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album and then report back on whether it made you want to shag?
I haven't gotten laid in three years, so I'm afraid the test would be inconclusive as the answer is pretty much always "yes."
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Sam wrote:Lin : hrm, that's funny, hack into your wrists has always meant sad to me, it makes sense it can also be an act of self-descrutive hate too.

Gimme both!
I was kind of confused why hack into your wrists was a different category than sad, though...
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

For both sad and happy I usually listen to Flogging Molly, angry goes to Metallica, straight up happy/hyper goes to Tenacious D, no music for horny or cut my wrists.
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Liniah wrote:
Sam wrote:Lin : hrm, that's funny, hack into your wrists has always meant sad to me, it makes sense it can also be an act of self-descrutive hate too.

Gimme both!
I was kind of confused why hack into your wrists was a different category than sad, though...
Extra-super-duper sad, perhaps?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Salvation122 wrote:I haven't gotten laid in three years, so I'm afraid the test would be inconclusive as the answer is pretty much always "yes."
Speaking of hacking your wrists. Want me to have one of my girls come over your way? I know this girl that works at BW3's...man she can do things that make even me smile in surprise. Just say the word dog.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Was that the one girl that did the thing with the tongue?
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Eva

Post by Eva »

In the category 'Hump nearest object': Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl. So charged.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Eva wrote:In the category 'Hump nearest object': Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl. So charged.
A lot of stuff of the Mezzanine album, including, but not exclusively, Angel.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

True, true.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

Ian Carey is the PERFECT getting ready to go out music. I defy you to listen to Get Shaky and not want to immediately plan your next club night.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

DV8 wrote:
Eva wrote:In the category 'Hump nearest object': Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl. So charged.
A lot of stuff of the Mezzanine album, including, but not exclusively, Angel.
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted mine. Definitely true.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

All music speaks, just some of it speaks more eloquently or more purposefully than other; and sometimes some of it manages to be more relevant to the situation at hand. The beautiful about music, like all art, is it's a personal experience and a "group" experience at the same time.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Happy: Most decent melodic death metal will do. Old skool thrash metal, too (Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica). Sometimes even groove metal (Sepultura, Pantera). If you don't know what I'm talking about it all probably just sounds like people fighting each other with chainsaws to you. :)

Sad: Hm, doom metal, I suppose.

Hack your wrists into shreds: Rap and R&B. The very sound of R&B music enrages me like few other things are able to.

Hump the nearest object: Music doesn't affect me like that. Asses do.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, I'm with Sal on that one. That's a reaction I don't really get. As for the rest...hell, whatever answers I give will change by next week.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Van Der Litreb wrote:Hump the nearest object: Music doesn't affect me like that. Asses do.
Well that explains Friday then.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Well that explains Friday then.
Care to elaborate on that one? Or is that a door best left unopened?
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

I think the problem is, it got opened. The closet door. Way wide open.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Wow, no wonder Veed got home so late from his man-date on Friday...
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Happy? "Military Fashion Show" by And One. Itr has one of the best beats that always perks me up. Steve Naghavi also has picture perfect hair (this added for Zam and Eva to check out).

Sad? "The Living Years" by Mike and Mechanics. Bothered me quite a bit when I was younger and has only gotten worse given what's happened in the last few years.

Wrist Hacking? "Creep" by Radiohead. The hacking is preceded by ripping the offending music player out, smashing it into bits, and using the shrapnel to make the cuts.

Hump things? "Cold" by VNV Nation. Go listen. You'll understand.

...hrm, need one more category:

Hit things? "Spilling Blood" by Necessary Response. I can't listen to it without wanting to: a) go hit a bag for the duration or b) think it would be the perfect fighter entrance music.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Heavy_D wrote:Care to elaborate on that one? Or is that a door best left unopened?
I think everybody else pretty much covered the appropriate rumors and innuendo.

The breakfast pastry Giant is going to kill me...
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Yes he is.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

No wonder you never returned my text on Friday.
_
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

*takes a page from Eva's playbook on distraction*

So...how about that local sports team?
Eva

Post by Eva »

Jeff, use your moobs!
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Eva wrote:Jeff, use your moobs!
Apparently, that's part of what got me into this whole mess. Nice try, tricky Giantess. EVIL!
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Happy Music: it's a give or take her. Aesop Rock tends to make me fairly happy. There's a good amount of Sublime which also makes me smile. Charly Prine also makes me smile.

Sad: Gary Allen "Smoke Rings in the Dark", alot of MoTown records, etc.

Rage-y: Anti-Flag!
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both