Things I really like about Bulldrek

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Things I really like about Bulldrek

Post by Eva »

Things I really like about Bulldrek after having been gone a few years:

* the colour scheme
* the little n for new topic
* the people
* the things you're (barely) discussing here
* the signatures

I'm just happy to be back, I suppose.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My favorite thing is what happens after you post [very quickly taken back to forum, not forced to wait 5 seconds then be forwarded to thread to look at the exact thing you just typed] which was custom-made to make mass posting to tons of threads take as little time as possible.

Oh, and I get to say whatever I want, to whomever I want. Can't underestimate the joy of that.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

It's interesting; I was trying to come up with reasons why I like Bulldrek, and all I came up with are the multitude of ways in which it's NOT Animallball. I don't know if that speaks to the credit of Bulldrek or not, but I'm happy 32 still kept it online.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

Ain't that the truth. Even if it's a driveby to recall bygone days, it's lovely that it's here.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I like Bulldrek because:
  • is its a nice semi-dusty reminder of all sorts of Good Intentions vs Fallible People
  • Professional nostalgia, there a good chunk of code here that I developed and it started me seriously thinking about switching career gears into backend Web Development
  • The average IQ is a positive value

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Kai wrote:I like Bulldrek because:
  • The average IQ is a positive value
Well, we have a small user-base and we have Marius, 32 and Salvation, it's not exactly a fair comparison to...well, any other forum.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, that's, like, 4 IQ points right there. 5 if we haven't been drinking. :D

Mmm. Sal and Marius and I, drinking together. That's a recipe for civil disorder if ever I heard one.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Kai wrote:The average IQ is a positive value
I think we get spoiled by the level of intellect and common sense in here. (it was a rough night dealing with the general idiocy of the real world)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Its a welcome change from work and the general public, I'll tell you that much....you'd think that picking the correct choice from a dropdown box would not be that hard and yet, everyday it happens for which department to send an email to...

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Other things:
  • Post length. 2,000 words of bullshit is still bullshit, but I like that most posts here - some Bulldrek Proper notwithstanding - are at least a few sentences, and often more. I feel comfortable writing off-topic diversions about the history of the chimney, or why coal tar didn't end up being the solution to the British Admiralty's mollusk problem. I'm not a member of the Twitter generation, and I like long-attention-span posts from smart people, which is what I get here.
  • Reasonably drama-free. Even people here who disagree with me do so without imploding or making it personal. Sometimes Crazy Elf would like to stab me with a fork, but he's never been less than gentlemanly to me, here or elsewhere, and we usually keep it good-natured, even when we're not feeling disposed to it. And we're total assholes, so it's not like you'd expect civility from us.
  • Smart girls. Bulldrek doesn't have a monopoly on intelligent women, but there are more women per capita here who are talking about literature with wit and grace than on any board I've been to. Many of them are worth looking at, too!
  • I can say anything I want to, bounded only by legality. On other sites, the freedom of speech is limited somewhat by certain expectations. Oh, and I'm not even remotely in charge. On Bulldrek, I can say whatever I decide I'd like to. Smell that? It smells like freedom.
  • Lucy isn't here. Neither is Jackalope [from TheRPGSite]. If I have to be followed around by a lunatic, I'll take Cain, thanks. And if one of the other loonies decided to come here - I'm your surrogate husband? Really? Do I get a choice in this? - then see above, re: the smell of freedom.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

3278 wrote:Sometimes Crazy Elf would like to stab me with a fork, but he's never been less than gentlemanly to me, here or elsewhere, and we usually keep it good-natured, even when we're not feeling disposed to it. And we're total assholes, so it's not like you'd expect civility from us.
I like it here because people talk about me.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

You're such a cunt. (How's Iowa these days?)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

It's been rather nice the last couple of days.
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I thought Iowa only produced wrestlers, not cunts.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Same thing.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Takes one to know one. Cunt.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I agree with the color scheme part. I've always really liked the colors. And I like not being directed back to the thread, and instead going quickly back to the main page. I certainly agree with both of those.

I like that I can say whatever I damn well please and not have to worry about offending people. After having to bite my tongue to not make 'your mom' comments at work to having friends get mad at me when I refer to their kid as 'it'...yeah, it's nice to come here and say whatever the fuck I want and know that several people on here could (and probably will) be way more offensive than I. I like not having to have the 'wait, can I tell them what I really think about this?' filter on.

I also like that people came back! I had been by every so often hoping things would pick up and now they finally have.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Well, it's not like we're immune to insult, but there is a general level of insult you take as a given, and it's playful and we all know that. If you're not used to it I can imagine it might really throw you off, though.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Liniah wrote:I also like that people came back! I had been by every so often hoping things would pick up and now they finally have.
Good to hear. Bring your friends (the ones we like).
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I've finally had my fill of Animal Ball. I logged out for the last time today, and I'm done with it. I can't believe what AB has become, and frankly it's turned into the least fun thing I could do on the internet. So fuck it, I'll do something else.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Why the fuck I keep hearing a calling to this forum? Ah, Bulldrek.

*sigh*
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Serious Paul wrote:I've finally had my fill of Animal Ball. I logged out for the last time today, and I'm done with it. I can't believe what AB has become, and frankly it's turned into the least fun thing I could do on the internet. So fuck it, I'll do something else.
Meh. Angel's always been kind of an idiot (and very loudly, which is irritating.) Just mock her or ignore her when she's stupid; it's what I do.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

You seem to assume she's the only reason I've stopped having fun there. That's hardly true. When something stops being fun, why keep doing it? Especially when it's your recreation you're discussing.
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

I also very much like that people are coming back. This place has a certain nostalgia. And the smilies are great! :tard
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Salvation122 wrote:Angel's always been kind of an idiot (and very loudly, which is irritating.)
Excuse me? I really don't see how she's an idiot by joining in on many of the jokes in Animalball.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

:smokin Oh, dude, you're totally right. I forgot about all the superior smilies here! Sweeeet.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

While I didn't spend as much time on the forums as I did on IRC I still miss the crowd none the less. There's always been a different feel to Bulldrek, at times it was like elitism but at the same time it was always more close knit than nearly all other communities I've participated in. I've actually tried on a few occasions to rejoin the Bulldrek crowd only to find it difficult to really get back into the swing of things. A lot can change over the years.

That said, it's still good to see it still standing, though most of all I miss the old Dumpshock IRC more than anything else. A lot of time was invested there for me and I'd like to think that I gave as much as I got from my experiences.
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Slackal!!!

Wait...Illinois?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

Cash wrote:Slackal!!!

Wait...Illinois?
Yeah, I moved to the Metro East, about 30 minutes away from downtown St. Louis on the Illinois side of the river. Moved up here for a change of pace and to help out my parents with their move up here. Still working in the paint industry, got married and we're planning to move back south in a couple of years.
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Heh, well if nothing else aniue, you provided IRC conversation at 3am, even if it never led to anything good ;7

Eva

Post by Eva »

Cash wrote:Slackal!
Ha! I forgot that nickname. Good one.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

Maybe another good thing about Bulldrek: People haven't forgotten about it. Some check in at irregular intervals; but all of them are curious to see if it's still online and sometimes to sift through the many topics that have been touched upon. Just re-reading them can put a smile on my face. And I've been a lurker for most of that time.
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Kunan
Tasty Human

Post by Kunan »

The two main selling points for me have always been the people and the fact that you can say whatever the hell you want.

The way I'm wired, the more taboos there are when dealing with someone, the less I respect them.

I respect the lot of you a lot more than most of existence. Even if I haven't talked to any of you in a very long time.

I'm glad that this place still exists, and that so many of you are apparently still here. It's nice to know there's a place where I can speak my mind and the only result is that people are quite civil about considering me an abrasive idiot. That's fair and honest, and not the bullshit you get from most people in most places.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Eva wrote:Good to hear. Bring your friends (the ones we like).
Oh, I see how it is. Bitch.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I had no idea the forums were still up. But, I did remember my password and have been happy to see so many old topics. Good memories there.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

good lord
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Gunny wrote:good lord
What!? No good?
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Seems like all the main reasons have been taken.
I'll reiterate a few faves:

* People can speak their mind, whatever the fuck ends up in there (which is terrifying on occasion) and the "OMG I'm Offended" is close to null. Minimal dramuh.

Granted when people open their proverbial yap, they often pay for it. You can't make offhanded statements without someone calling you on your BS, but that is part of the charm. There is no such thing as a taboo subject. "The Smell of Freedom" 3278

*There is some sort of weird connection that keeps us coming back here. (Not the internet...that's a given...smartass). Maybe it's sadism/masochism. It's kind of cool. After ages of being around here, usually when I see posts on FB or Twitter or wherever on the internet...or even seeing folks in person, I often think of the Bulldrek "handle" first, and real name afterward.

*It's SO not animalball. I'm surprised people stayed there as long as they did. I left long LONG ago. annoyance to cool ratio was shite.
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

My main reason for liking it here is that I can have somewhat serious conversations with people who put some thought into their side of the discussion. Of course, there's plenty of tomfoolery too, which I also enjoy. I'm not much into fanciful, useless banter. I like to discuss things that are important to me, and I like it when people talk about things important to them. But other forums seem to only focus on the non-important. Or when you try to talk about some fairly important issues, they just disintegrate into crap by the time a few people chime in. That doesn't happen as much here, and even when it does, it doesn't upset me for some reason.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Since Angel is vocally proclaiming her status as a victim I thought I'd address this.
Crazy Elf wrote:Excuse me? I really don't see how she's an idiot by joining in on many of the jokes in Animalball.
That's just it man, she doesn't get it. I'm not sure she ever has. She comes close, but frankly I think she's either too self absorbed, or too self important to really get it. When she's not busy thinking everyone is discussing her because wow she's a lesbian, as if none of us had ever seen one before or it was truly something unique (Get over yourself there's plenty of lesbians in the sea, some of them even don't take themselves so seriously!), she's pretty loudly proclaiming a variety of shit that no one cares about. (We get your Austrian now, no one cares. We get you don't like America, good for you. I live here and I don't like a lot of stuff that goes on here. Lots and lots of stuff.)

She tries too hard. That's why I think she's a phony person. She's so busy trying to convince people of what she is online that I don't understand how she gets anything done in real life.

So maybe you see that as being in on the joke, but I don't. Christ Kyle and Mike have both privately remarked to several people what kind of uncool they think she is. (In that respect she's no different than any user. We all have our quirks, our ups and downs, our shitty moments. Myself included.)

I'm sure she'll see this as singling her out, and going the extra mile to be a dick to her-but if you can't handle the truth about yourself why bother participating in an online group? If I didn't get I was abrasive, high strung and a son of a bitch sometimes I'd be Cain, or Lucy. I try not to be that kind of a douche bag. Sometimes I even succeed!

And since I mentioned it, in what I thought was a clever joke-which seriously backfired on me, that there was a thread on Bulldrek that was making fun of Animalball (Really just kind of venting, in what I saw as a good-natured way) I'm sorry for causing any melodramatics. This shit is just an online forum, on the internet. It's not life or death. If we can't laugh at ourselves-well everyone else will.

I don't think anyone here meant for any one person's feeling to get hurt, so sorry if my joke stirred the pot.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Yeah, "idiot" was over the top. She just comes across as being very fake, to me, and being surrounded by fake people every day - it's Mississippi; everyone plays at gentility while saying "bless his heart" behind your back - I have little tolerance for it, though I don't think it's malicious.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Over the top would be flying to her house to call her an idiot. Calling someone an idiot, when they're acting like an idiot, isn't the worst thing to ever happen. Saying something that is true may be painful, but no less true because it hurts.

I don't always win every debate, and my behavior isn't always stellar-but I get that. I'm just a person, like anyone else here.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

DV8 wrote:
Gunny wrote:good lord
What!? No good?
It's always good as long as you're doing the talking.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

^What they said
-call me Andy, dammit
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I forgot how much I missed the rotating Bulldrek forum descriptions.
Bulldrek
It is a proven fact that every morning, Brother Justice wakes up, thrusts his hands into the air and says, "Hallelujah, my two best friends are hamburgers."
Years later, that's still fucking awesome.

And it's really fun to do when you wake up. Don't judge me!
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:She just comes across as being very fake, to me...
That's troubling, indeed, and in combination with her extra-ordinary level of self-consciousness, has really made me profoundly irritated with her. The first couple of times she thought someone was insulting her when they weren't, I understood; people misunderstand Paul all the time, after all! But when it started happening with Mike, and wasn't directed anywhere near her, it was bewildering. The true capper came the first time it happened with Nadia, who to my knowledge has never said anything unkind to anyone online in her life. If you think Nadia's insulting you, you're being an oversensitive bitch.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Is she that evil?
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Bonefish wrote:Is she that evil?
Someone can be annoying without being evil. Just because I choose not to spend time with [non-Sinfonian] fratboys doesn't mean that they chuckle while feeding puppies through a woodchipper.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

I like Bulldrek because we can have discussions like, "Who's being a bitch and how?" and if anyone gets offended, we just tell them to suck it up and deal. It's kind of like listening to two people fight, getting frustrated, yelling at them both to shut the fuck up, and then having everyone explode into giggles.
I also like that the people here don't judge you. Much. In post form. Oh what the fuck am I thinking, we all judge loudly, and with great exuberance. And that could well be the best part.
By the way, CE, you're not a total cunt. Only most of one. :D
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

sigh, and I'm here again?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.