Concerts

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Concerts

Post by Liniah »

It's summer concert season. Is anyone going to any interesting shows? There are a few that I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on it/them. I tailgated the Dead show, but didn't bother getting tickets to go in.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Not that I know of, this summer is full of trips and trying to pay for them but there might end out being something cool for $20 in there

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I hate live music with a passion I usually reserve for Rammstein, so no.
The Grand Crusader
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by The Grand Crusader »

I dunno, http://www.rock-fest.com/ looks promising, though it is in Wisconsin. But considering the sheer number of headliners, I would look into it...
<BR>
Thought For...err...Until I Edit My Signature Again!
The icons I use here are from Transformers Icon of the Day. If you use them, please give credit to Mr. Kelsch for his wonderful work, capish?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I don't feel as strongly as 3278 does, but I actually have a similar opinion. It's hard to watch a lot of bands live because they just suck with out all of their "effects". Bands like Queensryche, who sound identical live to their prerecorded stuff, are rare.

I saw Rob Zombie once, and I'll never fork over the money to hear him hoarsely caterwaul again. Brian Adams was good live, but Metallica is like listening to a car wreck in a geriatric facility these days. Suicidal Tendencies rocks, but most Rappers could just take a dump on stage and give me the same value for my tickets.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Yeah, there are an awful lot of better-known bands who are just absolutely horrible live. There are an awful lot of bands that never make it big, though - who get signed to what are effectively regional labels - that sounds really goddamn good live, because they have to. Their studio stuff often sounds worse than their live performances, because they can't shell out for good sound engineers or equipment. Think, like, everyone on Fat Wreck Chords, back in the day, or Adeline Records.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

For added fun, watch a tape of Metallica when they were first starting out. They were even worse live. Now they're merely horrible.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

As a general rule, if a band is shitty live, but you like their recordings, then you need to own up to the fact that you like shitty music.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I love live music, but I'm starting to get to the Creepy Old Guy age at concerts. Unless it's with friends, then it's Creepy Group of Old People Desperately Holding onto Their Youth.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
The Grand Crusader
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by The Grand Crusader »

Cash wrote:I love live music, but I'm starting to get to the Creepy Old Guy age at concerts. Unless it's with friends, then it's Creepy Group of Old People Desperately Holding onto Their Youth.
Since I've never been to a concert except whenever I can get to my buddy's performances, (Not LDH, which means I have a new RL friend, oh noes!) I can't say I've ever had that experience.
<BR>
Thought For...err...Until I Edit My Signature Again!
The icons I use here are from Transformers Icon of the Day. If you use them, please give credit to Mr. Kelsch for his wonderful work, capish?
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Cash wrote:I love live music, but I'm starting to get to the Creepy Old Guy age at concerts. Unless it's with friends, then it's Creepy Group of Old People Desperately Holding onto Their Youth.
If I am at a concert with a large contingent of people over 30 who are actually there for the music, I can feel reasonably certain that I'm at a good show. Plus I can grouse about idiot girls wearing Hot Topic band T-Shirts with them, and they can often suggest other good music. You do a public service, sir.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Can I bemoan that VAMPS isn't making a stop anywhere near me? Stupid Japanese bands bypassing Atlanta... We do get VNV Nation on the 23rd of July though, might hit that up.

DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Marius wrote:As a general rule, if a band is shitty live, but you like their recordings, then you need to own up to the fact that you like shitty music.
I would agree with you, with the exception of a lot of electro-based music.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

DV8 wrote:
Marius wrote:As a general rule, if a band is shitty live, but you like their recordings, then you need to own up to the fact that you like shitty music.
I would agree with you, with the exception of a lot of electro-based music.
*cough*Massive Attack*cough*
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

A LOT! Not all. Shouldn't you be super-busy at work, slacker?
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I was going to go to this (I heart Weezer and it's free!), but they ran out of tickets almost instantaneously. http://www.virginmobilefestival.com/#/home/
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

I have tickets for Lowlands this August, but no ticket to the Netherlands. Hrm.

Should I manage to get things sorted there will be:
2ManyDJs
Arctic Monkeys
Bloc Party
Klaxons
La Roux
Razorlight
Basement Jaxx

and so much more...EXCITED!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I think my brother is also going to Lowlands this year. Probably not to see any of the stuff you want to go and see, though. :)
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

It's been a while since I went to a concert, but we did crash Lenny Kravitz on Saturday. He was surprisingly good, especially his voice was better than I had expected.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

DV8 wrote:I think my brother is also going to Lowlands this year. Probably not to see any of the stuff you want to go and see, though. :)
Yup he is, we have already done the bit where we have to moan about the cost of the tickets and everything
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Eva wrote:It's been a while since I went to a concert, but we did crash Lenny Kravitz on Saturday. He was surprisingly good, especially his voice was better than I had expected.
And entirely secondary to the fun of the evening, at least for me. It was nice that they didn't try to limit access to the park during the concert.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

So went to VNV Nation. Very cool. Awesome sense of humor. Must get more of their music

Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Ah, so I'm not the only one who caught VNV Nation's tour this summer. I had never seen them live before and was very pleasantly surprised to see their music transitions well to a live format. Ronan has the double benefit of being funny as hell while performing.

(Conversely, the opening act War Tapes was just meh.)

In October we're going to see KMFDM. This will be the first time I've seen them in almost 15 years. I am cautiously optimistic.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yeah, wasn't impressed with War Tapes, though Airya or whatever her name was was kinda cool.