Purchasing Votes

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Purchasing Votes

Post by Serious Paul »

So on election day places like Starbucks and Krispy Kreme were handing out stuff to people who could prove they voted-generally around here with those little "I voted" stickers. But is this sort of thing legal?
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

I read a bit about that. It's iffy.
Technically speaking, yes, it is illegal to offer incentives to vote. However, since they didn't actually ask for proof, and anyone could have gotten a free drink/donut simply by saying they voted, it's more of a promotion than an incentive.
Certain states are also being more belligerent about it than others. California, for one, was cracking down on it.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Personally, as long as the promotion is non-partisan, I have no problem with it. I just hate Starbucks and Krispy Kreme. Now, if Chipotle or Noodles and Co offered the promotion...
-call me Andy, dammit
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Dunno about the rest of the country, but here in JAX all the places offering free stuff if you voted were all clear on their stances "We don't care who you voted for,but you voted and that's what matters".
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Ben & Jerry's was giving out free ice cream and you didn't even need to 'prove' you voted. They were just doing it in honor of election day. Unfortunately, there isn't a Ben & Jerry's near my house. :(
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

They probably would have mailed you something. Ben & Jerry's is solid on promotions. Although, I guess I got more than usual, since they're alumni from my college and they like to come back and give out free stuff.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Why the fuck is it illegal to get people to vote? I can understand why it would be if it were wired towards a certain political party, but if it's just voting in general I can't see the problem.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Crazy Elf wrote:Why the fuck is it illegal to get people to vote? I can understand why it would be if it were wired towards a certain political party, but if it's just voting in general I can't see the problem.
Because no matter how much you say that it's just the vote that counts, everyone has their opinions about who should be elected. And if even one employee says something about who they think should be elected, it can start to look bad. Starbucks Counter Monkey #4 says, "Man, I hope Barack wins. Did you vote?" Caffeine Addict #8 says, "No, not yet. Why?" SCM4 says, "oh, you get a free coffee if you do." CA8: "Oh. Nifty..." CA8 then goes and tells a friend that exchange. Said friend is slightly moronic and repeats it, saying that if you vote for Obama, you get a free coffee. Things get out of hand. That's what they're afraid of. So that's why it's "illegal".
Try not to die of shock, I actually did research on this one.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

To echo Kitt, that also feeds into the tactics of party machines. "Vote for our boy, and we've got this nice Thanksgiving basket for you."

The exchange Kitt describes could be misunderstood to be "Vote Democrat and get free Starschmucks!"

And some just don't want everyone voting, as more voters can affect their success.
-call me Andy, dammit
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

On the news here they said that at Democratic conventions they had buses organised to take people to places they could vote in advance. Not so much giving incentives to vote as removing disincentives. Still, anyone who can be bothered to go to a convention will probably be bothered to vote as well.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.