Google Chrome

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Google Chrome

Post by Salvation122 »

So Google made a web browser.

I'm posting from it right now. It is in fact pretty cool, although there are a few minor issues I have with it that I'm certain will be addressed by plugins in time.

Just now, I'm running into some issues with text rendering in reply boxes. Odd. Might just be an artifact of this site's code, for some reason - haven't seen it elsewhere.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm downloading it right now. Will post a response about it later.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

It's weird, it seems to be using the same HTML rendering as Safari, it has the same, weird problems with text-boxes as MacIE, but I'm happy that every tab is in a different process, which comes in handy especially when you're on some high intensity flash sites.
Just now, I'm running into some issues with text rendering in reply boxes. Odd. Might just be an artifact of this site's code, for some reason - haven't seen it elsewhere.
I've seen the same thing happen on MacIE, but nowhere else yet.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

I like it. Its better then the new Mozilla.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Does it mess up text sizes on pages like Mozilla does?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Liniah wrote:Does it mess up text sizes on pages like Mozilla does?
No, it doesn't. And besides, you can adjust those in pretty much every browser back to the size you want.
No-Life Loser

Re: Google Chrome

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:Just now, I'm running into some issues with text rendering in reply boxes. Odd. Might just be an artifact of this site's code, for some reason - haven't seen it elsewhere.
Of course, the first thing I did when I heard about Chrome was open up freespeech to see how fucked up Google's rendering would make it. Chrome's supposed to be pretty picky about tables, and I've been known to exploit browser bugs to make tables do things they wouldn't otherwise, so I wanted to see what happened. Nothing, of course: it just worked. But on these reply boxes on Bulldrek - which shouldn't be radically different from the ones on freespeech, although there are obviously alterations - just act crazy. Like the first two characters of any new line disappear, but then reappear moments later. Deleted text remains, until you interact with it, and then it disappears. Very odd.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I recently found out that Chrome's engine is based on WebKit, which is also the basis for Safari, so you can expect the same weirdness from Chrome as you did in Safari. Though I'm guessing that Google will be more diligent about solving this problems. So far, I've been using it since it came out and it's a really very pleasant browser.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Re: Google Chrome

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:Like the first two characters of any new line disappear, but then reappear moments later. Deleted text remains, until you interact with it, and then it disappears. Very odd.
That seems to be the case only with particular forum scripts, however. I don't have it on my website, nor on several other forums, or with LJ for that matter.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

What I don't know - I haven't looked - is how this one differs from freespeech's; of the two, Bulldrek's should be the one most similar to other phpBB installations!

Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to give Bulldrek the page-width reply box on freespeech. ;)
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I've been using it a bit, but it doesn't render Outlook Webmail correctly. Until it does so, it's really not an option as a main browser for me.

There is some basic functionality I've come to expect from a browser that's lacking (mouse gestures being the biggest one), but I'm sure they will have plugins to address that soon enough. Overall I like it.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Big Jim wrote:I've been using it a bit, but it doesn't render Outlook Webmail correctly. Until it does so, it's really not an option as a main browser for me.
Nothing renders that correctly but IE7. Chrome renders it the same way Firefox does.
There is some basic functionality I've come to expect from a browser that's lacking (mouse gestures being the biggest one), but I'm sure they will have plugins to address that soon enough. Overall I like it.
What are mouse gestures?
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

I don't like that I can't click my scroll-wheel to scroll. Maybe thats mouse gestures, I don't know..
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

DV8 wrote:Nothing renders that correctly but IE7. Chrome renders it the same way Firefox does.
And that's why I stick with Avant, which is a skin for IE7 that gives me everything I want.
DV8 wrote:What are mouse gestures?
Performing standard browser actions without clicking the buttons or keyboard shortcuts. Things like holding the right-click and left-clicking to go back a page.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:Maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to give Bulldrek the page-width reply box on freespeech. ;)
I actually kind of like the fact that you can enlarge the textarea-elements, so perhaps you won't have to. :)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Bulldrek's backend code is fucked up in a myriad of interesting and strange ways :7 There are at least two things I remember as having no effing clue how it managed to work aside from some mystical destructive interference, so I really wouldn't be surprised if some theoretically unrelated code change did something horrible to the reply boxes that isn't normally noticeable.

Chrome is rather neat, but the big things right now for me are it takes up insane amounts of memory and work has banned it for giant security holes (understandable in a beta)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

the reply-box thing really has nothing to do with any implemented hacks, since AB and several other sites have the same problem.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Hmm... maybe a versioning thing, I swear I hit up somewhere using base phpBB and it wasn't causing problems, or maybe I'm just hallucinating :7

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.