Music

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Music

Post by Serious Paul »

So what's new out there? What am I missing? What should I be listening to that I'm not right now? I'm always looking for something new, and cool!
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Re: Music

Post by Tiny Deev »

Soulja boy?
Really. I don't think you're missing much.
I've been listening to Smooth Operator a lot.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

If Soulja Boy is the best you can do, Paul should fucking shoot you. :)
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

If Soulja boy is the best I can come up with I'll shoot myself, thank you very much.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I heard this one song in a store recently and I would like to find it. It's sung by a British chick and she's singing about how she likes to listen to certain kinds of music, but that's not what she likes to sing. I don't remember any of the lyrics, but I remember liking the song. I don't suppose anyone knows what it is from this horrible description...?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

You know what song I heard recently that I like, is American Boy by Estelle Feat. Kanye West. It was played on the radio, but it's not played regularly on the radio yet. I guess they're waiting to see if it catches on, but I like it.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Liniah wrote:You know what song I heard recently that I like, is American Boy by Estelle Feat. Kanye West. It was played on the radio, but it's not played regularly on the radio yet. I guess they're waiting to see if it catches on, but I like it.
That song has been playing relatively non-stop from about february until may. I really like it, it has a nice flow, but sadly the follow-ups aren't quite as good.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Bands, in no particular order:

Flobots
Thrice
MC Chris
Alkaline Trio (something off with their new album, sadly)
boysetsfire
Frou Frou
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeez, I know exactly zero bands on your list.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

You should learn about the Flobots. For a modern band, they actually have more songs that I like than hate, enough so that I actually bought their CD. That's pretty high praise coming from me. Just think of them a bit like RATM. Enjoy the music and ignore the politics.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Iantha loves the Flobots. My kids do too. And I agree, their music is great.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I just got the Flobots. I like Handlebars so I decided to check out the rest. I just started listening to it this morning.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Being alternately horribly mainsteam (10 years, Muse) or rummaging around old school (Future Sound of London) at the moment....nothing terribly new and exciting though I'm getting a kick out of Faded Paper Figures, they're on Garageband.com

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Hell yeah Frou Frou.

And check out Flight of the Conchords. Some funny shit.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Oh, indeed. I <3 Flight of the Conchords. The live songs and the tv program.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I like their songs, but I really can't stand their tv program. It's not very funny, and it's just a launching pad for their songs. I guess their songs by themselves is not enough to create a show around, in my opinion.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I've never seen an episode of the show at all, so I can't comment on it. I was just saying I dug the music.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

I do some serious digging of the music. Their shows are alright. It has the music in them :D
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Dubstep. I need more of this stuff. I'm hitting YouTube links like crack these days until I can get my hands on some by file or hardcopy. The temptation to give in and buy a turntable and throw money at european electronica shops for piles of vinyl is high.

Was completely not helped by Freezepop having vinyls of Future Future Future Perfect at the show I went to Tuesday. Was a kickass show too.

Hit up Apocalyptica live the week before which was amazingly epic. Eli if you ever read, see these guys in person, I have no idea how they didn't light a cello on fire at the speed they were moving.

Debating if I can afford Dir En Grey in two weeks. Its like musical heaven in ATL at the moment.

Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I've recently gotten around to listening to Amy Winehouse. Damn, why did I wait so long?! Fantastic. Especially:

Fuck Me Pumps (MJ Cole Mix)
Back to Black
Love Is a Losing Game
I Heard Love Is Blind
You Know I'm No Good
Amy, Amy, Amy
Valerie (especially the cool live version I found on youtube)

She has such an amazing voice.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Goddamn it. First my older sister, now you. Damn you Europe. Burn in hell.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

I would refer you to your sig, Jeff. :p :lol

(different Amy, I know)
-call me Andy, dammit
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I've also become a fan of the Weezer Red Album. Especially,'Dreamin'.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Willpower fail, I am the proud owner of a USB turntable and will likely be spending my xmas cash on vinyl from Europe. If any of our resident euros are knowledgable about the used electronica vinyl scene I'm not above bribery for 'gifts' shipped to the US :D

Also, Trapt - Who's going home with you tonight. Loving that song.

DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

A very popular shop in Amsterdam that also carries vinyl as far as I know, is Mid-town Records. They have an e-shop, but I didn't really have the time to go through it to check out their supply, but perhaps this is a starting point.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Kai, might want to check out Black and Read. They have a bit of vinyl, but I'm not sure exactly what is in ther catalog.
-call me Andy, dammit