Wireless energy

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Wireless energy

Post by Heavy_D »

Intel has created a wireless power supply: link

I didn't know they were that far with research into induction principles such as this, but when I read the article I was amazed with what they're currently experimenting with.
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Re: Wireless energy

Post by Tiny Deev »

Fuck that shit, I made a wireless power supply when I was way younger.

You know those globes, with electricity? I put a electric toothbrush next to it, and it went on!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Amazing implications.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

This technology isn't exactly new. I was talking to my boss (an electrical engineer) several years back about why this wasn't available yet. He wasn't able to come up with any reasons why the implementation of something like this would be delayed, other than that during a surge any surrounding electronics would need to have the proper magnetic protection in order not to get fried, which is unlikely. Personally, I can't wait. I hate wires.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Although I agree that's pretty cool, wouldn't there be a lot of loss? They're talking about a 75% efficiency in that article, which isn't that much when you think about it.

I agree that it would be very cool to put your laptop into a charging area, as well as anything else, such as mobile phones and iPods. However if that means I have to use 25% more power in order to do it, that's not good. That needs to be much more efficient in an era in which we're trying to limit our power use.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Crazy Elf wrote:Although I agree that's pretty cool, wouldn't there be a lot of loss? They're talking about a 75% efficiency in that article, which isn't that much when you think about it.
Actually, it's really pretty amazing efficiency, particularly given the conditions. You're probably getting about that right now out of the wall, unless you're running 220 and have a very modern power supply [an 80 plus, for instance].
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Meh. I can carry batteries anywhere I like. With or without a power transmitter within range.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

This is true, but if it's home appliances then would this not be far nicer than having batteries in all of them?

If they get it to work in a more efficient way I'd say it's a very elegant solution indeed....and it appeals to the minimalist as well I think!
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.