Questions about SAT

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Questions about SAT

Post by JongWK »

How much time do you think is necessary to prepare for it?

Is it too hard or easy to score 1450 out of 1600?
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

15 minutes should do you.

It rather depends on how you take tests. 1450 isn't so hard.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Just Pete
Tasty Human

Post by Just Pete »

Technically, you've been preparing for it your entire schooling career, if not your entire life. That said, you really can't study any more for it, as the subject areas are so broad.

However, what you can study, and what could possibly help you get a better score, is test-taking techniques. There are tactics that can help, such as only guessing on those questions where you can rule out one or more incorrect answers, or skipping past questions that are taking a long time to figure out in order to complete those that go faster.

Either way, your best resource is www.collegeboard.com - lotsa links to information about the SAT, and other programs that will help you get into a college that is ideal for you.
_<font color=#5c7898>Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.</font>

<font color=red>It's funny how lately it seems, that I'm left alone with just my dreams,
and even though my dreams are few; it's funny how they're all of you!
- The Love of My Life</font>
Marius

Post by Marius »

Acutally, you guess on every question, whether you've eliminated choices or not. The ideal (beyond simply knowing the answer) is to eliminate as many choices as possible before guessing.

The other things you can prep for are mostly gamesmanship. In my day you could do some prep for the analogies, but I guess they've dropped those. I got a lot of value out of prepping the math section. It's all simple math, but as with most multiple choice tests, the trick is quickly identifying what the question's asking for. There are a few types of mathematical questions they use frequently, and quick identification of those can win you points. Then, of course, there's identifying the Cultural Diversity passage and getting through that as quickly as possible. Always one reading passage on some non-White culture that you can do well on simply by selecting the most positively worded answer choice.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Just Pete wrote:Technically, you've been preparing for it your entire schooling career, if not your entire life. That said, you really can't study any more for it, as the subject areas are so broad.
Also, like an IQ test, isn't it meant to gauge your general aptitude? Wouldn't studying, specifically, for SAT's just throw off the results and make you seem better than you are? Great if you want to get into a particular school, not so great if you also want to succeed in that school. I don't know much about SAT's so perhaps what I'm saying is complete bull, but it seems to me like one of the many tests I had to take before joining the airforce, where they told us that the tests were designed to see how you were, not how you wanted to be.
Marius

Post by Marius »

Problem being that SATs are used only as a college admissions tool, and in applying for things you don't want things as they are. That is, I don't use Gathering photos on my resumes, you know what I mean?

My ex-girlfriend's school, they started taking the SAT annually in 6th grade. By the time they applied to college, perfect scores were very common, and less than 1500 was considered generally deficient. Compare with my high school, where very few people (probably less than 5%) took the thing more than one time. I believe the highest score in my graduating class was 1460. They generally got into better schools than we did, but at mixed parties let's just say I'm not usually considered dumb (or of low scholastic aptitude).
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Marius wrote:...but at mixed parties let's just say I'm not usually considered dumb (or of low scholastic aptitude).
Really, that surprises me, since anyone who knows you knows that you're exceedingly stupid. ;)
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

... but at mixed parties let's just say I'm not usually considered dumb (or of low scholastic aptitude).
Which is why we keep the Moo-shine around.
\m/
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

If you're coming right out of high school, I don't really see too much of a reason to prepare for it. Perhaps take the PSAT. However, I don't recomend you take them hungover. I scored about 150 points lower when I was hungover.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>