Question about meds

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Question about meds

Post by Kitt »

So I've been diagnosed as bipolar type 2 for about 5 years now. It's been "under control" up until about 3 weeks ago. I've been seeing a councelor on-and-off for a great long while, and the newest one suggested that I see the campus psychiatrist. He gave me meds.
Long story short, I'm on Lamictal Orange pack and Wellbutrin SR. The first couple of days, it was massively beneficial, despite the fact that I wound up spacing out any time I wasn't concentrating on something. That seems to have dissipated, but I'm finding something new and disconcerting. It seems that every night, between 9 and 11, I start becoming a complete space cadet, I end up not being able to sit still or concentrate on anything, or I sound like a stroke victim. The last one seems to be the biggest problem. I go to say one thing, and it either comes out as a completely different word or gibberish. It only lasts a couple of hours, but it's still pretty startling.
Has anyone else had any interaction with these meds? Is anyone familiar with side effects like these?
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Talk to your psychologist.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

No, talk to your psychiatrist.

Probably that's the lamotrigine with that particular side effect, particularly with the increased dose starting week 3. Since it's happening at a particular time, it might be related to when you're taking the meds.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

Wellbutrin is also known to have anxiety as a possible side effect. In fact, one drug information site I went to when one ex started Wellbutrin specifically says "Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself." So what you're experiencing could be coming from either one.

The problem with psychiatric medication is that while there are massive numbers of cases where the medication works as intended, the fact that each person's brain chemistry is unique to them means that a given medication could give a specific individual a rather unusual side effect.

The big questions I have (and that you should likely discuss with the p-sychiatrist who prescribed you the meds) are:
Are you taking any medication other than those two on an even halfway regular basis? (This could include anything from over-the-counter pain killers to prescribed antihistimines to birth control pills to herbal vitamin supplements.)
What time of day are you taking the meds, and what time of evening are you eating your evening meal? And are you taking the meds at the same time or at different times?
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

Double post. *grumble*
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

I'd go with Marius on this one. Lamictal is a good med, but it's also very new, and new meds can have surprisng side effects. I've never heard of a two-hour aphasia before, but like Marius said, it may h ave something to do with when you're taking the meds. Which, incidentally leads me to ask: if you don't mind, when precisely are you taking them?
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

I've been taking them when I get up. At school, that's around 9am M-H and noonish F-U.
Course, now that I'm home, it's whenever I wake up...which varies.

The side effects have stopped, btw. The only one that seems to be sticking with me is that I'm losing a lot of weight. Scale doesn't think so, but my pants sure do.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"