Gun Law

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Gun Law

Post by Liniah »

Did you know that, in PA, if you get a gun as a gift from a family member you don't need to register it? Is this a little strange to anyone else?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

As a gift or as inheritance?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Not nearly as strange as some things, stranger than some others.
Kick Rocks
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Not strange at all, at least not in the US. Did you know the only states that require gun registration of any kind are California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Michigan, New Jersey, and New York (handguns and/or "assault weapons" only)? And that of those states, Hawaii is the only one that requires registration of all types of firearms? (Unless said firearm is capable of full automatic fire, then de facto registration/licensing is required at the federal level.)

Some states require licensing for gun purchasing and/or ownership (those listed above, plus Illinois, Massachusetts, and a few others) without individual gun registration.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Gotta love Cali...

www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Jesus, that looks awful Shadowrun. Where is that, anyway? I can't read the crest.

I hope that isn't as stupid as it looks. Money pretty much needlessly blown on BMW bikes with AR15's strapped to them in what appears to be only slightly short of the dumbest way imaginable. I hope they don't park them anywhere but right in front of the police station like that. You could snake the mags out of both of those rifles with all of about three seconds of loiter and walk away with 60 rounds of 5.56 in your pocket. It also looks like it would take two guys about half a minute to knock the front pins out of those receivers and make off with two full lowers, stocks and bolt carriers as well. (*cop comes back to his bike* "Uh... Where'd half of my rifle go?") Assuming the thing clamping them to the bike has a lock on it, anyway.

But man, they sure look cool.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Not sure the exact city, it was during the weekend of the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca. He assured me that the officers were very kind in moving out of the frame of the shot. IIRC that is for special duty occasions only, crowd control, events, presidential parades, stuff like that where the officers will not be away from their bikes.

As to the cost, BMW's cost less then Harley's for the PD's, are more reliable, have lower general maintenance and have higher mileage lives before sales, as to the rack, I bet it was someone in the PD machine shop that made them, either that or they took a cue from Europe.
www.evieshope.com
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

sinsual wrote:IIRC that is for special duty occasions only, crowd control, events, presidential parades, stuff like that where the officers will not be away from their bikes.
That would be a good thing, definitely.
As to the cost, BMW's cost less then Harley's for the PD's, are more reliable, have lower general maintenance and have higher mileage lives before sales
When it comes to the bikes, I'm sure you've got a better handle on it than I do. I have no problem believing there's less initial cost as well as maintenance involved with the BMW as compared to a Harley. I just get the sneaking suspicion that the choice was more based on status than value. Those are R1200s, right? The Honda ST1300 is more than $2k less (base). Anyway... I don't have the facts to back that suspicion up. I've heard Hondas are good as far as maintenance goes, but maybe their cop bike packages are pricier or whatever. I'm no bike guy, so... Just seems fishy.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Raygun wrote:
sinsual wrote:IIRC that is for special duty occasions only, crowd control, events, presidential parades, stuff like that where the officers will not be away from their bikes.
That would be a good thing, definitely.
Those are R1200s, right? The Honda ST1300 is more than $2k less (base). Anyway... I don't have the facts to back that suspicion up. I've heard Hondas are good as far as maintenance goes, but maybe their cop bike packages are pricier or whatever. I'm no bike guy, so... Just seems fishy.
BMW, Harley and Kawasaki are really the only manufacturers that give American Law Enforcement agencies package deals. Its not like a car, you get a wiring harness, slight change in tuning, and a suspension based on a fully loaded bike with all gear.

Yes those are R1200's, very nice bikes to ride. The fully loaded LEO version goes for about $9K when purchased as a fleet. Considering a comparable civilian model would be pushing $18+...I think you can do the math, add $2K for a Harley per bike and your about spot on. There is a rumor that the new Kawasaki 1400 Concours may make an appearance in an LEO package...
www.evieshope.com
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

sinsual wrote: There is a rumor that the new Kawasaki 1400 Concours may make an appearance in an LEO package...
Looks like that would be the best deal of all.