Shadowrun from Microsoft

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Shadowrun from Microsoft

Post by UncleJoseph »

This may have been posted in another thread or category, but I just discovered the Shadowrun online game. While it has very high reviews, it is multi-player-only. Compared to the pen and paper game, it appears they've taken the role-playing out completely, and changed a bunch of game concepts. Anybody playing it? Anyone have any thoughts? It also looks like they've left a ton of room for expansions/revisions regarding magic, races, weapons, etc.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

From the small group of FPS/twitch gamers I know, the reviews are pretty damn high. Most common thing I've heard is "ignore the name, it's not Shadowrun. Play the game, because it's an awesome multiplayer FPS and in the vain hope of an RPG game someday in the future."

Bull had a post about it up on his LJ, but I can't seem to locate it now.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

When they first put out the promos for the game there was a huge stink from the old-school RPG fans online because the developers had decided to do things you couldn't normally due in Shadowrun because they thought it would be cool. Like teleportation, the Tree of Life, the anit-magic backpack, etc. Since the programmers had already coded the damn thing there was zero chance the developers would take them out of the game. To their credit, the developers did respond to online protest by making a half-assed attempt at reconciling the fictional setting somewhat, but its not the same Shadowrun as the pen-and-paper game.

I have been told its fun, but I'm not about to pay to play it with a bunch of bastards I don't know online. I got tired of getting my ass kicked in team online games back when I was playing Ghost Recon.

My greatest fear? The novelization.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I am not much of a FPS person, and the ones I play are single player.

Like AH I got my ass handed to me by hardcore gamers. While I do not mind loosing, it gets old after awhile and boring.

From what I hear though, if you like Multiplayer FPS, it kicks all sorts of ass.

It is not "shadowrun" in the old sense though, a new breed.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Just to underscore the point: This is Microsoft raping a setting.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

It's a fun game to play, although I prefer Crackdown because I like the "real" Shadowrun setting better.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>