Public Education and School of Choice

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Public Education and School of Choice

Post by UncleJoseph »

Does anyone else feel like School of Choice will be (or is) the downfall of public education?

In my area of Lansing, MI, our public schools in the City of Lansing are losing students at a frightening rate, thereby causing them to lose funding. Consequently, many of the "upscale" public schools in the surrounding area are taking on many more of the city kids. What I've noticed, is that there is a mass exodus of kids from the city schools, who are children of means (i.e, have parents who can drive them to the school of choice, purchase that laptop required by the school of choice, etc.) are transferring, and the underprivileged youth remain at the schools where funding is rapidly decreasing, becoming less diverse and where programs are constantly being cut. In my opinion, this is re-inventing segregation at some level.

Anyone experience similar things at different locales?

I want to add that I am 100% against school of choice, for several reasons (social impact being the biggest reason). I realize, however, that there are potential benefits to students and such, but I think the consequences outweigh any possible benefits.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Since I have a child I am for schools of choice, not to say people with out children should be voided from making these decisions-but rather as explanation as to why I am for this.

While I certainly agree school of choice often equates to some sort of social stratification, I'm not sure that's entirely avoidable, or necessarily any one individuals responsibility. I certainly think every child should be afforded opportunity, but I have no particularly clever method of making that happen readily available. As such I, selfishly to a point, choose to do what's best for me and mine.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Thing is, my intelligence analysts tell me Paul's far from rich. If school choice is good for Paul, it's probably equally good for the rest of the middle class or working class. It's bad for the impoverished, but if you think that fully funded public schools will save the children of the impoverished, then you need to wear a helmet.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I don't know if you ever lived in an area with redistricting, but I can tell you that segregation already occurs by economic means of the area. In sixth grade my parents had to fight tooth and nail to let me go to the school 5 blocks from our house rather than get bussed across town to a different school in a less economically favored area in order to bus kids from there to the school near me, because this was 'helping fight segregation' and 'offering better opportunities'. It was a mess.

If parents choose to send their kids elsewhere, its not always for economic advantage or educational reasons. Maybe they want to take their kids to the school near their work so they can be there if something happens. Maybe the school in question is better equipped to handle a disability. A lot of times, the parents would like to enroll their kids in a religious school but without a voucher to defray costs couldn't afford it. I believe giving them that choice is a good thing.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Or maybe we just don't want our kids in a war zone school, no matter how much that helps some eggheads social experimentation.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Part of what's creating the "war zone" schools in Lansing, though, is school of choice. Most of the kids in Lansing Public Schools are impoverished, underprivileged, and come from families who don't value education. In the state of affairs now, we can argue the proverbial chicken vs. egg. Do we want school of choice because it's a war zone, or did it become a wars zone due to school of choice?

I wholly understand the argument from parents that they want the best education for their kids. However, in our area one of of the upscale schools fosters the most arrogant, "the world owes me everything" attitude kids, who have overprotective people in their lives. They don't learn tolerance, responsibility or respect for those around them. Everything is handed to them on a silver platter.

I myself would like a more even playing field. Under school of choice, our inner city kids now don't have access to nearly the same resources for learning, nor do they have adequate faculties for supervision. This situation has been an issue for a long time, but has been made far worse by school of choice.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I do think that if you're low income and you choose a school in an area that you couldn't normally access, because it's better for the child, that you should get some sort of help getting the child there, and fed, etc...but I'm not sure who should pay for that or how, or how it would actually work. But I'd be willing to entertain the idea.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

The problem with "school of choice" is that the better schools already have the better students, for whatever reason. Generally, it's economic. Because they have better students, they have better test scores, and thus are considered "better schools".

Once school-of-choice reaches its pinnacle, every school will suck. Some will suck worse than others, due to the stratification Joseph mentioned. But overall, quality of education will drop at all but the private schools, and even those will take a hit. Only by economic desegregation can we even come close to ensuring a diverse and fair school environment.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Ah, there's that dry sense of humor I've been missing. Cain's jokes are always the funniest.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Unless I am mistaken, Michigan doesn't require Private Schools to participate in "School of Choice" programs. Is that different elsewhere?
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Depends on your area. The "school voucher" program deliberately opens up private schools, but doesn't force them to relax their enterance standards. So, for example, a Baptist school can bar non-Baptist children from attending, yet still accept vouchers from Baptist children.