[Tech] Looking at DVD Drives/Burners

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

[Tech] Looking at DVD Drives/Burners

Post by FlakJacket »

I've been using the Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drive that came with my computer for a few years and its served me faithfully but it's started to malfunction quite badly, wont recognise discs and can take two or three attempts whirring half in and out to eject a disc, so it's time to get a replacement. Which is where I turn to you guys being more technically well versed than I.

So what would be a good replacement drive nowadays with what's on the market? Please bear in mind that in these matters I know pretty much bugger all. :) I'm currently looking for two alternatives. One is straightforward good quality replacement with similar abilities, the other is upgrading to a dual-layer drive since I do a fair amount of backing up discs and film DVDs. So what do you suggest I have a look at?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Go for the dual-layer drive, especially if you're doing a lot of back-ups. We're using the ASUS model here at the office and I have no complaints.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

It's worth noting that dual-layer media is easily three times the cost of regular DVD-Rs, at least here, which means that from a cash-efficiency standpoint you're better off going for a cheap single-layer drive.

I don't know why anyone (who isn't completely and utterly anal-retentive) would buy anything besides Lite-On drives.
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

I've had Lite-On, had Asus, and done Sony (never again... that CD almost killed me). I have one of the new LGs with LightScribe and am really liking it.
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

You know what was funny when I installed my HP DVD Burner (Dual Layer, +RW -RW, Lightscribe)? It had the standard sticker on the top, and it said it was a Lite On drive as well. Made me happy.

Also, the best part about Dual Layer is the fact that you don't necessarily have to buy dual layer disks when burning normally. You just need them when you're doing the back-ups or burning ass-loads of stuff to disk.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL