Wal-Mart to expand into Banking?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Wal-Mart to expand into Banking?

Post by Serious Paul »

Maybe noot just yet, but it seems pretty likely they will eventually get there.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

I shudder at the thought. "Mortgage defaults, aisle 12."
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

It's certainly in-line with their plans to create one-stop shopping for people. Chains like Sears already have agreements with financial institutions to create offices in their stores (Sears/H&R Block is the prime example I'm thinking of).
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

What worries me is that once stores like Wal-Mart have consolidated their control over every aspect of the shopping experience-from cashing your check, to spending it, to savings, and investments-who is to guarantee that they will be responsible with this control?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I doubt there is any guarantee that will keep fears like that from popping up. However, Wal-Mart is facing a bit of a problem with the upcoming increases in minimum wage.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Serious Paul wrote:What worries me is that once stores like Wal-Mart have consolidated their control over every aspect of the shopping experience-from cashing your check, to spending it, to savings, and investments-who is to guarantee that they will be responsible with this control?
It will be another GE Finance.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey