The Driving Tax

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

The Driving Tax

Post by Serious Paul »

I have been following events in New York City with some interest. I know some cities have instituted similar policies, and some with great success. Americans tend to view driving as a god given, constitutionally guaranteed right, when in fact it is a privilege. (Admittedly a privilege that is certainly an intrinsic part of how our nation has grown and changed in the last 80 years.)

What would you think of the city you live in doing something like this?
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I know London does it, how it works there is only during high traffic times.

Not sure here, I can see both sides on it, I will just stay to not driving in the city for work. :D
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Re: The Driving Tax

Post by 3278 »

Serious Paul wrote:What would you think of the city you live in doing something like this?
I would fucking murder someone. But I irrationally view driving as a god given, constitutionally guaranteed right. Basically, I'd love it, so long as they taxed everyone else and not me, so I could get everyone off my roads.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

It can be done in San Francisco...the city is seven miles by seven miles and it has a great public transit system.

If this was implemented in San Jose, I'd also murder someone. The city is waaaay too spread out for someone older than a teenager to effectively survive.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

I never drive into the city, but I think that this thing in NY will end in someone's death. Thus far, LI and the vast majority of everything that isn't a bridge has managed to avoid tolls. And $8 a day? That's just obscene. My father had to drive into Queens 5 days a week for a loooooooooooong time, and unfortunately, none of his coworkers lived in any area that would have been condusive to carpooling. So people like him would get royally fucked. Not to mention, this would cause more congestion, because you know some dumb shmuck isn't going to have the money ready, or is going to go into an EZPass lane with cash, or have said EZPass break at the least opportune moment.
Want toxic gas emissions lowered? Outlaw gas-causing foods and make the hybrid vehicles less expensive. Taxing drivers, particularly in the city, at that rate, will only irritate people, cause more road rage, and make city traffic worse than the clusterfuck that it is.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

It's been 23 years since I've lived near NYC, so I don't know how it is now...

What about Park n' Ride? Commuting into the city? Park at a designated parking lot (near the subway/light rail/BART/etc) and take public transportation into the city.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
IrnMaidan
Tasty Human

Post by IrnMaidan »

I don't think that I would be able to leave my car anywhere in a NYC park and ride. It might not be there when I get back. I would rather commute to the train station on the island and just go straight to the city.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

I think the real solution to the problem is to nuke New York. No traffic problems then! Fuck I hate that place.