Complete Geek out Episode

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Complete Geek out Episode

Post by Instant Cash »

Last night I had a major geek out/Nostalgia moment.

When I was a child there was one cartoon that I absolutely loved over all others. This was a time before anime and the shows we have today. There where three categories really that I can remember. The normal cartoons (G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, etc) kid shows that you saw on PBS and such, and the educational ones like Schoolhouse Rock.

I enjoyed G.I. Joe and transformers a lot, however there was one that elevated itself above those both.

Robotech.

I would actually go out of my way to watch this when I was young. It was fantastic in my eyes, Heroic storyline to appeal to the hopeless romantic in me, but with a touch of grittiness that appealed to the dark side of me. People died, it had a continuing story line, and the mechs where cool as hell. Now the show did have it’s annoying parts, like Minmei *shudder* and the fact that they used the same animated scene about 300 times for battles but over all, it was great.

I even got heavy into the Roleplaying game, I have played in all 4 genres, from the first year during the flight back to earth, to being a part of the SDF-3 expedition. I always enjoyed those games a lot.

A few years back I bought the entire series and watched all of them (much to the dismay of Jaded) though by the end she actually started getting into them due to the storyline. The shows though where never continued and it died.

Until I found a gem in Best buy last night.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

Using new animation and movie length, I was launched right back where the previous series was left off. I could not have been happier. I really hope they do not let this be a one off thing and make it a total cock tease.

Speaking of sexual organs, the new animation also follows the trend of making all women have enormous boobs. :D

Anyway, just wanted to share this with everyone cause I am /still/ thinking about it.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I loved Robotech when I was younger. Now I am a bit disappointed with it. I always thought there was a lot of story to tell that they just don't really deal with. But then, I was never much fro tragic romance stories.

Now I've never seen the Shadow Chronicles, so maybe that does something the RPG's, which I played, and the shows didn't.

Oh, and SDF-1 forever baby! Skull Squadron till I die!
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

I think my love now comes more from nostalgia than anything.

But I still enjoy the story because I am a sap.

I doubt you will get any love from the new series, however the new "bad guys" are kinda cool.
-Big Jim
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

I watched G.I. Joe and Transformers on Polish TV but I don't recall ever watching Robotech.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

*twitch* Macross damnit, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross *gags self before going on a rant*

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Kai wrote:*twitch* Macross damnit, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross *gags self before going on a rant*
And that's exactly why I have so much trouble taking anime seriously. You want me to not laugh when your big bad weapon has a pansy ass name like "Super Dimensional Fortress?"

Fuck Harmony Gold should have fucking paid FASA for at least giving their material some decent fucking names.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Reflex Point, the Invid Invasion...of course I remember Robotech. I used to love that fucking show.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Fucking Harmony Gold should have gotten the right legally in the first place, whining about someone stealing stuff you don't have the rights for anyways is retarded :P Like American crap has any better names from that time period anyways :7

Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

*was too busy watching Thundercats to notice Robotech*
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Kai wrote:*twitch* Macross damnit, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross *gags self before going on a rant*
Go ahead and rant all you want.

That show /I/ grew up watching was Robotech. I watched Macross, it didnt have that same appeal to me.

Yes, it was shite animation, and yes, it has Minmei. But it is completely nostalgic for me.

also, back in the early 80's, that was hella cool.
Last edited by Instant Cash on Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Big Jim
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Testify, my nubian brother!!!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Kai wrote:Fucking Harmony Gold should have gotten the right legally in the first place, whining about someone stealing stuff you don't have the rights for anyways is retarded :P Like American crap has any better names from that time period anyways :7
Sorry, 89 brought me Crusader, Atlas, Marauder...Super Duper Shiny Happy Defense Furry Fortress = the suq. And I wasn't comparing it to other animation, I was comparing it to CBT. You got Super Duper Fortress. I got Penetrator. That's gold in my book. :lol
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

You have a Zentradi cannon fodder suit as a mech, that's gold ;)

And I realize its the nostalgia thing, hence the gagging of self, I never saw it growing up, I didn't see it until after Macross Plus, and being 20ish, the idea of Macross and Southern Cross being part of the same universe was just laughable. :)

Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Kai wrote:You have a Zentradi cannon fodder suit as a mech, that's GAAAAYYYYYY!!!! ;)
Fixed for you. :D
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Hey, you said it, not me :D