Starcraft 2

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Starcraft 2

Post by DV8 »

I know we have some Starcraft fans among us, so I thought I'd link this, in case someone had missed it. I would've liked it more if the announcement had been for World of Starcraft, like the rumours had suggested, but I'm really happy with this, too.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Hopefully there will be a chance to check it out at GenCon.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Gunny! Gunnygunnygunnygunnygunny!
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

:wideeyes
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

*droooooooooooooooooooooool*

Ok, almost time to upgrade my computer.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Re: Starcraft 2

Post by Reika »

DV8 wrote: I would've liked it more if the announcement had been for World of Starcraft, like the rumours had suggested, but I'm really happy with this, too.
I don't think Blizzard is ready for another MMO (they seem to have finally figured out how to run WoW, let them get that running smoothly), wouldn't be surprised if a few years down the line they do release a World of Starcraft.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

They've been hiring a lot of next-gen MMO programmers, and that's the reason the rumours got started in the first place.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Crap. Now I have to buy a new computer. Fucking Blizzard and their games that I like.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

No, more importantly, fuck World of Starcraft. Thank God they finally decided to go with Starcraft II. I know all the bullshit about MMOs being more profitable, but fuck that noise.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Post by JongWK »

MUST... CONTROL... MY KOREAN HALF.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

kekekekekekekeke
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FOR AIUR!!!

Cazmonster plugs into his dragoon frame and lays about with active plasma bolts.

The new dragoons are way sexy. I can't wait.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Sweet mercy. The zergling rush in the artwork video is a thing of beauty.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

The gameplay already looks amazing. I'm hoping that, given the wait, they're closer than the usual 2-4 years to completion.

In other news, Asia has been flooded with a sea of Korean semen.
Reika

Post by Reika »

DV8 wrote:They've been hiring a lot of next-gen MMO programmers, and that's the reason the rumours got started in the first place.
I can see that, but considering all the work they've been doing on WoW, they kind of need those folks. ;)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Reika wrote:I can see that, but considering all the work they've been doing on WoW, they kind of need those folks. ;)
Nah, they don't need those folks. It's not like anybody wants WoW to stick around anyway. :D
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Reika wrote:I can see that, but considering all the work they've been doing on WoW, they kind of need those folks. ;)
Nah, they don't need those folks. It's not like anybody wants WoW to stick around anyway. :D
*slaps Jeff upside the head with all of her D&D hardcovers*

On a side note, am I the only one who would love to see a Blizzard produced full length movie? It can be from any of their settings, it would just rock.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I remember when people said that about Square.

Look where they ended up.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Good point.

But then again, Blizzard seems to be doing things very differently from Square.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

They're theoretically doing a live-action WoW movie. IMO it ought to be a full-length cinematic instead.

Re the next-gen MMO programmers, some of the job ads explicitly said they would be working on a new title. So they weren't just for WoW.

There are still two more big announcements to go. My bet is Diablo for consoles, and an MMO title* based on an entirely new IP.

(* - note, may not be an MMORPG, may be an MMO variant of some other genre. I can't see Blizz wanting to cannibalize their existing customer base.)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

They may think the market is finally ready for a MMORTS (Sovereign tried and failed - I think it was a good idea, just too early). However, with SC2 coming, that takes out the RTS balance designersthey've been hiring. It's unlikely they'll put up two RTS games at teh same time, and I don't think they'll be going MMO with SC2.

To keep from totally butchering their existing base, though, I'd put my money on a Diablo MMO. It certainly lends itself to that, and would tap a slightly different market base. However, technically WoW2 or WoW:The Next Expansion would both be "new titles" within the game industry unless it explicitly said "Not a sequel or expansion". I just don't think that's the route they're going.

They've also theoretically got Starcraft: Ghost sitting around. It could be unshelved again.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Daki wrote:And I need to get the computer upgraded for this game.
Working on it.

*currently researching for parts and options*

Is anyone else going to be trolling the starcraft website to catch when/if they start a beta test sign-up?
Reika

Post by Reika »

Anguirel wrote:T
WoW:The Next Expansion would both be "new titles" within the game industry unless it explicitly said "Not a sequel or expansion". I just don't thnk that's the route they're going.
The expansion is my bet, they've stated several times that they plan to release an expansion roughly once a year.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Daki wrote::wideeyes

Yes, I have JOYGASM now.

And I need to get the computer upgraded for this game.
What he said. I am going to go to those pinheads at alienware, and find out what they plan to run SCII on, and then buy that system.

I want this thing to run smooth, not just run. Oh, and I want Goliaths, and Yamato Cannons, and Carriers and Ultralisks, and Science Vehicles, and Siege Tanks and and eleventy billion dead zerglings...

On the zerglings. I want to see something that makes it so Protoss Zealots, cybered-up hundred year old fanatical killling machines, beat the bejeezus out of oversized bugs that have been crawling around for a few hours at best.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm very glad to see that there's such a massive Starcraft following on BD. I'm sure we'll be causing all kinds of havoc on the new and improved Battle.net that Blizzard promised. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote:I'm very glad to see that there's such a massive Starcraft following on BD. I'm sure we'll be causing all kinds of havoc on the new and improved Battle.net that Blizzard promised. :)
Nein. Not from me. I suck at RTS games, but I have fun with them. Multiplayer generally ruins it for me. I honestly play SC for the story, more than the game itself. Same with Dawn of War/Dark Crusade. Squaring off against the Koreans (in SC) or the Brittys (in DoW) is bad enough. I don't need the frustration of watching every one on BD beat my ass about. That happens enough already.

I was already to challenge Maelwys to a DC match up recently, until he started mentioning that he was encountering some problems with the game on Hard but still conquering most of the map. I'm still sitting stuck on barely a quarter of the map conquered on Normal.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I never play multi player on RTS, I am horrid at it.

I meant too watch the trailer this weekend but never got around too it.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I only like playing multi with friends. And most often prefer doing anti-computer co-op or one fo the odd-ball script maps, like Turret Defense.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

The graphics on this are not zomgwtfawesome from a hardware standpoint, guys. An extra stick of RAM and maybe a $150 graphics board should be able to put out all the pretty.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

We should start thinking up a guild name.

I suck at RTS, but that won't keep me from creating endless hoards of zerg!!! For the Overmind!
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Mmmmm. Starcraft II. :D

I have been waiting a looooooong time for this, and I'll definitely get it as soon as it's available. Besides, I've been more or less looking for an excuse to upgrade my computer.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Reika

Post by Reika »

I'll admit, I'm tempted to get SCII even though I'm generally not fond of RTS or all that good at them, but it just looks damn fun.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Only three races again. Interesting. I kind of figured they'd have the Zerg/Protoss hybrids or something.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

There's some speculation that the Zerg/Protoss hybrid that's alluded to in the hidden mission will be a campaign-only faction, the same way the Naga were in WC3's expansion.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That makes some sense, since otherwise you have to force balance your awesome bad guys.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

En Taro Adun!

I am gonna chop some people the hell up with psionic blades with a quickness when this comes out.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Daki wrote:BD BNet Beatdown!
I will take the time to get my shit trained up to half of Flameblade just to help with the beatdowns.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Flameblade's Korean? Who the fuck knew?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Flameblade's Korean? Who the fuck knew?
Flameblade can eat Koreans and shit kimchee.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

nope. I have been busy beating people at go.

I recently beaten a 5-dan amateur at go (who is almost 6 dan amateur) at an even game.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

I'm sorry, Star-what? :/
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.