Does your life have meaning?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Does your life have meaning?

Post by UncleJoseph »

As I often sit and ponder my existence, it always becomes obvious to me that my career is without meaning, substance and/or enjoyment. I am curious as to how many of you have careers/jobs that give you some sort of fulfillment vs. those of you who's jobs are merely to pay bills.

I am in a dead-end career, and have been for almost 8 years. I have been actively trying to find a different career for over 2 years. Either I'm a terrible job applicant for the things I am applying, or the economy is terrible, or a combination of both...or something I haven't thought of yet.

On one hand, I'm happy to have a job that pays the bills and allows me some small measure of financial freedom. However, the utter lack of enjoyment and the total apathy toward getting up and going to work make it difficult to enjoy my time away from work.

Does anyone else experience this? I am to the point where I may make some drastic lifestyle changes (such as selling my home and moving somewhere far away to start over, etc.) in order to find happiness. To me, work/career/job is no small thing, since it generally occupies over half of one's waking hours during their life.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

I cannot imagine having a job which you cannot enjoy at all and you know that it does not lead you anywhere. I would do as many drastic changes in my life as necessary in order to find a job which would give me at least some kind of satisfaction. What you said - work takes away at least half of your time when you are awake and it should not be a waste of time.

My job now has a meaning. Fortunately, cause if it did not I would have gone crazy a long time ago. It is not what I imagined it to be - much more boring and much less time consuming - but at least there is a time limit to it and in the end I am going to get something out of it. The goal for next year is to find another job (my current contract ends next June) which would be more interesting and offer me some challenges.
No-Life Loser

Re: Does your life have meaning?

Post by 3278 »

UncleJoseph wrote:I am curious as to how many of you have careers/jobs that give you some sort of fulfillment vs. those of you who's jobs are merely to pay bills.
I gain some kind of sense of fulfillment performing my duties; I enjoy the challenge of it, and the interaction with the machine, and knowing my responsibilities have drastic effects on everyone who works with me, but it's not like my job involves saving the world, or causes me to smile 10 hours a day. I spend most of my day at work completely furious, or irritated, or pissed-off.

But I'm not in a position to give a damn about "not having fun" or "not feeling fulfilled." I don't have that luxury. I sat in a room with a bunch of post-college rich-people's kids recently, and they were all like, "I can't imagine not liking my job," or, "I wouldn't ever work more than 20 hours a week. It sucks your soul away," and I just wanted to beat the fuck out of them. I don't know when "being happy" became something people thought they deserved, but I think that expectation has led to more misery than having jobs you don't like. People seem to think there's a perfect life out there for them, but the fact is, most of us are going to lead lives we don't like very much. If you resign yourself to the fact that work isn't going to be joy, and accept that, your expectations of pleasure decrease, and you find you're more satisfied at work.

This isn't a cut on Uncle Joseph; his job really does suck. But the view most people seem to have about how satisfied they're going to be at work seems to bring them nothing but misery.

By the same token, if you can find a job that pleases you - and there's probably one out there for you - why not take it? But happiness is a benefit, not a right or expectation. Stupid weak decadent society.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

My job gives makes me feel that fulfilled feeling on occassions that are few and far between, but when it does, it's a doozie. My job is hectic, stressful, emotionally and mentally draining, and continues to be a challenge to me every day I wake up. Sometimes I just ache for the security of knowing what is going to, at least generally, go on during my workday - or to be able to not have to be on call 24/7, and take my job home with me a good four out of seven days a week. But I'm not old. Most of the people here aren't old. If I don't like the path I'm on, I'll change it. Easier said than done, perhaps, but better than living a life unlived.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:But I'm not in a position to give a damn about "not having fun" or "not feeling fulfilled." I don't have that luxury. ... Stupid weak decadent society.
/signed.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

3278 wrote:But I'm not in a position to give a damn about "not having fun" or "not feeling fulfilled." I don't have that luxury...
I don't think it is a luxury to try to find a job which will give you some satisfaction at least. Unless you were sitting on your ass in the meantime and declining any job offer that you got cause it was not perfect. Management of expectations is all good, but people should not give up on all of them.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

jo_alex wrote:
3278 wrote:But I'm not in a position to give a damn about "not having fun" or "not feeling fulfilled." I don't have that luxury...
I don't think it is a luxury to try to find a job which will give you some satisfaction at least.
Absolutely. That's what I mean by "By the same token, if you can find a job that pleases you - and there's probably one out there for you - why not take it?"
jo_alex wrote:Management of expectations is all good, but people should not give up on all of them.
No, definitely not. Unfortunately, far too many people don't manage their expectations, and expect to have a good time at their job, or get warm fuzzies from their job, or think their job will be all hugs and puppies, and then they're sad when work is, you know, work.

I think it's sad when people manage their expectations to such a degree they never expect anything good, so they never try for anything good, and their life becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom. By the same token, as much harm is done by dreaming as by cynicism. The trick - which I have not mastered, personally - is balance.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I find no fulfillment from or in my job. While it pays well above what someone with my job skills and education might normally make, it simply isn't a very good place to work, no matter what you do.

I do find fulfillment in my gaming, my home life and my time away from work. All of these things are fabulous, and while we can always improve, I am not desperate for a change or improvement.
Brasky
Tasty Human

Post by Brasky »

Serious Paul wrote:I do find fulfillment in my gaming, my home life and my time away from work. All of these things are fabulous, and while we can always improve, I am not desperate for a change or improvement.
True that. My job is okay and satisfying and all that. If I won the lottery would I keep working it? Fuck no. But my life isn't defined by my job at all. My life is completely defined by my wife and kids-- that's my purpose and the wellspring of my happiness.
Animalball: I rolled a 20! That's grievous gaming!
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

My life matters to me, so yeah it has meaning. Does society care, or do I make an impact, or will someone in the future looks back and go 'there was something important'? To be perfectly honest, I don't care.

Do I enjoy my job? Damn straight, that's one of the most important priorities in my life. Can't ignore money completely, but if you can pay the basic bills, I'll take a job that pays less that I enjoy over one that pays more than causes me stress constantly anyday. Rent, utilities, food, gas or public transport money, if that can be covered, to me a job I like is much more important than things like internet or alcohol or vacations or most anything.

Admittedly I'm lucky, I took a leap of faith and good karma came back around and I landed alright, not everyone's willing or able to do that to chase a idea, but its not bad, wrong, or otherwise a reason to be looked down on to rank personal happiness as a priority when thinking about what to do with your life, just being happy most days is just as satisfying a goal for some people as being able to send their kids to the best schools or having a top of the line sports car is for others.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Brasky
Tasty Human

Post by Brasky »

Kai wrote:Admittedly I'm lucky, I took a leap of faith and good karma came back around and I landed alright, not everyone's willing or able to do that to chase a idea, but its not bad, wrong, or otherwise a reason to be looked down on to rank personal happiness as a priority when thinking about what to do with your life, just being happy most days is just as satisfying a goal for some people as being able to send their kids to the best schools or having a top of the line sports car is for others.
And you have peace of mind knowing that if things don't work out, I'm always waiting for you right here with my giant-orange customized Hummer with the 24 inch spinnin' rims and a built-in juicer.

Awwwwwww-yeahhhhhh.
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

Post by DrunkenMaster »

MissTeja's answer pretty much summed up mine as well. I'm happier than I have ever been in my life. This isn't because my job is fun, though it can be. For me, it is because it challenges me and because of the people I am surrounded with, and finally because I believe what I do will in some small way make an impact on the world around me. I am fortunate that I don't have many responsibilities which require a large income.

I've often thought about what it is to lead a 'good' life, especially in today's society. For me, it isn't a job that allows me to fuck off any time I want or playing around with video games/drinking/whatever your usual pleasure all the time.

I think three things are key. One is growth, whether in your job or outside of it, I always feel that I am improving in some aspect of my life.

Two is fulfillment and for me this is service oriented. I am smart enough and a workaholic to make any company a decent amount of money in some form or fashion. I've done it on occasion. Thing is, I hate the idea of spinning my wheels for someone else's monetary gain. That being said, I will literally nearly kill myself if I think whatever objective or goal is worth obtaining. I find service fulfilling, whether it is teaching or fixing something or helping a sick person.

Third. The people around you have a greater impact on you than anything else, imho. I could shovel shit all day if I respected those around me. If you are constantly working around people who challenge you, you'll find yourself doing things you never thought possible. You are also working for those who you respect, instead of some nameless objective.

I also realise I have a definite arc on how long I can do this job. I'll break down physically, or move into an area where politics rules, or just begin to have other interests. For now though, if I won the lottery, I'd stay with my job. You can't buy the types of experiences I've had for any type of money.

Although, if I had that lottery money I'd definitely be spending it on something like this: Toy!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DrunkenMaster wrote:I think three things are key. One is growth, whether in your job or outside of it, I always feel that I am improving in some aspect of my life.
I think this is near-universal. If someone who makes US$30,000 a year gets a new job and suddenly makes US$100,000 a year, and buys the cars and the house and the whatnot, it won't be long before they're exactly as happy as they were making US$30,000 a year. It's how we're made, I think. We adapt, and that means emotionally, too. So growth - or at least change - is necessary to feel good about what's going on, in the long term.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Serious Paul wrote:I find no fulfillment from or in my job. While it pays well above what someone with my job skills and education might normally make, it simply isn't a very good place to work, no matter what you do.

I do find fulfillment in my gaming, my home life and my time away from work. All of these things are fabulous, and while we can always improve, I am not desperate for a change or improvement.
Quoted for truth. Just change the part about paying well above what someone with my job skills and education might normally make. Where is Paul is above what he might make, I'm at the lower end of average for what I make.

I generally despise my job, but I'll freely admit I have no motivation to sit and bounce around the job market until I find that "perfect" job for me. I make enough to get by. I have no desire to go back to school and retrain for something else. My hours are decent, and my job is generally so fucking easy a deaf monkey could do it blindfolded. I only work 4 days a week, and I don't have to worry about getting up early in the morning. My job lets me spend a bunch of time posting online and working on gaming. So am I satisfied with the job? Not really. But I'm content.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I am currently unemployed, but I intend on getting a job that has 'purpose'. I never had a certain career in mind when going to college, but I always knew I wanted a job that I was happy about having instead of just one to pay the bills. Hopefully I will have this sort of job in the next couple months.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

No.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

I don't look to my job for any sense of fulfillment or meaning, it's just a job. I do enjoy it, I really enjoy the people and the working environment, but it's not very challenging, which is fine with me since I don't define myself by what I do (or what I accompliish) in my working life, I seek my happiness and fulfillment outside of work.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

I spend my day pissed off, stressed out, hungry, tired and completely unsympathetic to the plight of others. However, every single day I am pushed to the limit of my ability and a bit beyond that, and I learn so much every day that despite the long hours and the frightfully shit whether and lifestyle (the only way it could get any less healthy is if i injected smack into my eyeballs) I go home feeling pretty content. I'd almost do this job for free.

I know this topic is 'does your life have meaning', but for the moment life = work for me.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

I haven't had a job for a long time, but when I did, and when I look at jobs now, I can't get any motivation to do them unless I think they are somehow worthwhile.

When I think about my life in the big picture, it's not meaningful, but I can do small things that have meaning for me, and affect people around me.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

When I was very young, I wanted to be a comedian. I forgot about that for a long time, and then I remembered again. Nobody does what I do on stage.

When I was very young, I wanted to make a difference. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I knew I wanted to. I'm currently working on a thesis that I believe is important. I'm not sure that it will make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to try.

When I was very young, I wanted to be Superman. I can't fire heat rays out of my eyes, but I can lift an awful lot of weight these days.

My goal is to leave the world a better place than what I found it in. It's worth trying to do, no matter how impossible it seems. I think I'm moving to that point.
Ancient History
Demon

You're all depressing as Hell.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Ancient History wrote:You're all depressing as Hell.
/hugs Ancient
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Ancient History
Demon

/wuffles Angel
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

/laughs at Ancient History calling us depressing

When did speaking honestly become depressing?
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ancient History
Demon

About the time we got our asses kicked out of the Earthly Paradise, as I reckon. Which is to say, for all of recorded history and some time before.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

I love my life.

Is it hard? Yes. Am I poor? Yep. But I have a job that I really enjoy, which is fulfilling, and I have a husband and kids whom I adore.

That's enough for me.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Ancient History wrote:About the time we got our asses kicked out of the Earthly Paradise, as I reckon. Which is to say, for all of recorded history and some time before.
Oh, gotcha. So you've just always been depressed. Sorry, I didn't pick up on that at first.
Ancient History
Demon

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Ancient History wrote:About the time we got our asses kicked out of the Earthly Paradise, as I reckon. Which is to say, for all of recorded history and some time before.
Oh, gotcha. So you've just always been depressed. Sorry, I didn't pick up on that at first.
Oh no. I've just always been depressed when people tell the truth.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Ancient History wrote:
Jeff Hauze wrote:
Oh no. I've just always been depressed when people tell the truth.
Now I see why you and Paul get along so well.
Brasky
Tasty Human

Post by Brasky »

Jeff Hauze wrote:/laughs at Ancient History calling us depressing

When did speaking honestly become depressing?
Remember that you're speaking to the online reincarnation of Eeyore:

[vc="AnHi"]Thanks for noticing, Bear.[/vc]
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Cheer up, Annie!

Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

when I was young, I wanted to be an archeologist. Not exactly a big dream - I even held onto it after I found out they didn't hand out the whips and fedoras with the job. Went to college, majored in Ancient Studies, and found out how limited, backstabbing, and generally disgusting the job had become as people struggled for the few dollars available. I switched majors, switched schools, and took a run at teaching. Unfortunately, it was a jumpkick. I aced my classes, was the pride of my professor/mentor and my on-site teachers, and wanted to kill the little fuckers every second of every day. I had an impressive control over the classroom - that's because dumb animals can sense hatred, bloodlust, and the general desire to shove an icepick through their skull. It was that last image that convinced me to leave the teaching program. Graduated with a 3.9 GPA, but the degree was History and the minor Social Studies. My resume had Teacher Washout written all over it, and nobody wanted to touch. So, I took a job at a machinist factory. Two years later I'm still there. Weeee.

Sometimes I wish I'd have just joined the Marines - them and the Navy were begging for me out of highschool. At least then when I felt like murder I could take it out on some unsuspecting Arab and claim he was getting all insurrectionist at me.
--- Cheddar Sword: +1 sharpness ---
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I have a job that provides absolutely nill for mental stimulation. If the social dynamics were different, it would make the lack of actual work a lot more bearable. As it is, this has got to be one of the most socially isolated jobs I've ever had next to TEKsystems. The difference being, at TEK, I was at a front desk completely separated from everyone else which was the source of the social problems. At this office, I have easy access to my co-workers, but they hide in their cubes/offices and only interact with those that work in their own department. And from what I've come to understand from other John Deere employees that come to my office, none of the other offices are like this and most people generally don't like coming here because of how socially stunted we are. I wonder how my office got this way.

This is absolutely just a job to pay bills. eh. At least my job isn't so bad that I live in misery. Just boredom.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I would like to clarify that I did not necessarily equate fulfillment/meaning with happiness when I posted this thread. I think it's possible to hate your job, but get a certain sense of fulfillment/satisfaction from it. I don't have to (or want to) love my job, but I would like to at least be able to tolerate it and not climb a clock tower at the end of each day.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

pieces of metal in boxes. any idiot or trained chimp could do the job about as well. Literally. One of the guys who used to work there I'd swear on my own left nut was just a little special, and he did just fine - better than some of the other guys, because he was eager to please and earn praise, no matter the job.

pieces of metal in boxes. yeah, I tried to find fufillment in that, but there's only so much satisfaction capable from playing an adult version of "shaped block goes into shaped hole".

There is one bright and shining thing about the job, though - the forklift. It makes me smile, and occasionally I'm told to crush something with it so it'll fit in the compactor, which just plain makes me happy. At those moments, I'm a kid playing in the sandbox again. Every other minute, I'm sweating, tired, footsore and smelling of rustproofing oil and rubbing alcohol.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Tryyng wrote:Sometimes I wish I'd have just joined the Marines - them and the Navy were begging for me out of highschool. At least then when I felt like murder I could take it out on some unsuspecting Arab and claim he was getting all insurrectionist at me.
Could always go now if the current gig is as mind crushingly boring as you paint it. Just be sure to pack the Factor 20 if you go either jarheads or grunts.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

One thing I should have said, my job and my life don't mix. My job is just that, a job. It earns me money to pay my bills and whatever else I want to do with it. My job doesn't define me. It's not who I am. My life has plenty of meaning and my job doesn't equate into that.

I look at the lives my mother and sisters have and I realize just how much enjoyment and fullfillment I have.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Every day I wake up, stretch a little, pack breakfast and lunch in my bag, and go for a bike ride down the beach. About 45 minutes down the beach, I turn inland and around 15 minutes later I'm at "work". Work, for me, is playing games. Literally. I test games. The job pays enough to cover my bills, a few splurge purchases, a 2 month vacation every year (once the holiday season hits, if the game hasn't shipped, it probably won't, and they put a large chunk of the testing team on call for a while -- I budget around this), while also paying off college loans and putting a little away on top. Mainly because I'm purposely choosing to not have a car (I could afford one... but I just don't see any need for one at this point).

Outside of work, I... mainly play games as well. My work has no serious or lasting meaning, but I love work, enjoy not-work, and everything I need is paid for, and what little debt I have is quickly evaporating. And hopefully at least a few of the games I help make are giving other people some enjoyment and happiness in their lives, so I guess there's something of a sense of fulfillment in that.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Tryyng wrote:Sometimes I wish I'd have just joined the Marines - them and the Navy were begging for me out of high school. At least then when I felt like murder I could take it out on some unsuspecting Arab and claim he was getting all insurrectionist at me.
It always so obvious when someone has absolutely no idea what the military is about, or how real military life actually is. Even their jokes betray it.
Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

Couldn't find out about the wonderful, accepting and open world of the military - CAP taught me little, but it did teach that I have serious issues with hierarchical command structures, a trait which has gotten me in trouble in most jobs I've worked at and tanked one or two interviews. The only reason I get away with mistreatment of my foreman at my current job is I've made myself necessary by figuring out and overhauling a couple of the basic computer programs we use (label maker, stylus machine.... the "add printer" function so the terminals at the work desks could print. seriously, they didn't know how to use "add printer"). The fact that he's just plain bad at a job which is entirely organization, scheduling, and interdepartment communication makes him an easy target, but I've tried my damnedest to cut back since I noticed he was taking his frustrations out on our shipping secretary (does the majority of the work he should be doing, direct employee with no union protection) instead of me. I can be a mean, sarcastic sonovabitch when I'm in a good mood - physical exhaustion and temperatures that exceed 100 F in the summer only make it worse.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Tryyng wrote:Couldn't find out about the wonderful, accepting and open world of the military...
As opposed to the wonderful accepting and open world we all live in. :lol