Pampering

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Pampering

Post by MissTeja »

So, as I made mention of in my LJ, I went and did the seasonal total dramatic change in cut and color to my hair. I *love* walking out of the salon when I do this. It dents the pocketbook, but I just love the feeling after a fresh trip to the hairdresser. So happy. I also get this feeling when I buy a new dress.

Now, the gal I work with gets this same high-on-life bit when she gets her nails done. I don't get that. I don't get maincures very often, partially because I have strong nails in the first place that look decent, but they just don't get me. But even if her day is HELL, if she goes and gets a manicure, she's just radiating with girly cheer.

I presume moreso for the women, but perhaps the guys as well - what type of self-pampering really makes you have the happy butterflies?
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Honestly, just a long hot shower, and shaving my head. There's almost something....spiritual about it. Especially after a long, stressful day in the kitchen, it feels like everything is just scrubbed away.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

You mean like covering yourself in Vaseline and walking around with just the Stetson and the boots on? Oh...you didn't mean that? Uh...nevermind. (I love Carl Hiaasen.)

Shaving has a certain relaxing aspect to it for me. I always want to just keep shaving and take off all the facial and head hair. I generally chicken out before hand though.

I'll concur on the hot shower.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Whenever I buy myself something new when I wasn't really looking for anything in particular. I've been known to jump with joy at such an occassion.

Straight after a manicure, pedicure, hairdresser, massage, spa, long hot shower, whatever - always gives me this feeling of girly power. I love it all, actually. Prefer to get out of bed 10 minutes earlier to take a longer shower, e.g. :)
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I don't really do the whole pampering thing so much. I've gotten my hair cut in a salon once in the past 5 years, never had a manicure/peticure, never went tanning, never had a massage. I like to take the occasional bath, but I think I did that once in the past 4 years (most places don't have bathtubs in Denmark). I had a facial once and my face was all red and puffy afterwards, so that certainly give me that sort of feeling. I did get that feeling when I got my hair cut in the salon last time, but that happens so seldom. And I think that was mainly because I walked in there not exactly sure what I wanted and the hairdresser read my mind and gave me the PERFECT haircut. Usual trips to the salon don't do it for me. How about a new piercing, does that count? I always get that 'wow, check it out, this is cool' feeling when I get a new piercing still. And I used to get it when I dyed my hair strange colors too, but I don't do that anymore.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

There's a really nice spa/salon here on the island that I go to twice a month, for a sauna and massage, and across the street from the spa is the hair-stylist (I don't visit her as often as the spa though). Whenever I go and get treated to everything I feel pampered and decadent.

I also get that pampered feeling whenever I take a ride in a fiaker (horse-drawn carriage).
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

I don't know, I guess I've never really done anything like that for myself. I've never really made a dramatic change in my hair, never had a professional massage although Paul does do a good job rubbing my back, and I've never had a manicure or a pedicure. I've a;ways been so busy that i never really even thought about it.

Although, I did just schedule my friend, who is a masseuse, to come over and give me an hour-long massage on Monday night so that will be my first "pampering" experience.

No, No no no no no... I just thought of what makes me feel all giddy and jumping-for-joy:

[align=center]My Brand New Super-Awesome Mountain Bike![/align]
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I get that same feeling after kung fu or swimming, but I guess that's not the same thing.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:I get that same feeling after kung fu or swimming, but I guess that's not the same thing.
No, working out gives you a different kind of elation. At least, it does to me.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Perhaps I'm just not really familiar with the feeling you get when you pamper yourself like that.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Sounds like most who haven't been to a spa don't think it'd do much for them and probably be a waste of money. And those who have, think its awesome. Maybe we all need to be buying our loved ones spa treatments for holidays, because there's evidently something there that's changing people's minds.
Liniah wrote:How about a new piercing, does that count? I always get that 'wow, check it out, this is cool' feeling when I get a new piercing still. And I used to get it when I dyed my hair strange colors too, but I don't do that anymore.
That TOTALLY counts, dude. I have a friend who is similar with tatoos. She has seven and intends on getting more. Not my schtick, but cool for her. I just love figuring out what makes certain people tick, and why.
DV8 wrote:Perhaps I'm just not really familiar with the feeling you get when you pamper yourself like that.
You never got a new hairstyle or a new shirt that just made you gleam in confidence to a point of almost goofy-elatedness? That's more of what I'm getting at. I suppose you can get that coming from a sporting win, too, but I guess I was thinking more individual "to yourself only" activities. Tatoos/Piercings, Hair/Nails, Spa/Massage, Clothes/Shoes, etc. Arguably non-competitive, individual activities.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

MissTeja wrote:Clothes/Shoes
Well... that goes without saying. I think the biggest "pampering" feeling I ever had were the three times I went to a Tailor/Seemtress to have clothes (in total 5 blouses, 1 dress, 2 pantsuits and 1 skirtsuit) made for me exactly how I wanted them and tailored just for me, I'm a clothes-whore. I wanted to get tailored shoes made, but the first pair costs 2,500 Euro, a bit too much, even for shoes.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

MissTeja wrote:Sounds like most who haven't been to a spa don't think it'd do much for them and probably be a waste of money. And those who have, think its awesome.
Definitely one of the latter. I love spa's and recommend them. But there are a lot of spa's that just don't get it right.
You never got a new hairstyle or a new shirt that just made you gleam in confidence to a point of almost goofy-elatedness?
Yes, but not to the point of goofy-elatedness, no. :D
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

MissTeja wrote:Maybe we all need to be buying our loved ones spa treatments for holidays, because there's evidently something there that's changing people's minds.
That was one of my birthday presents last year - a day in the spa. It was the first time I've done it and I loved it. BEST birthday present ever. :D
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:Yes, but not to the point of goofy-elatedness, no. :D
You are missing out. ;)
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I like wearing clothes warm from the dryer.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I like wearing uniform pieces from places I've never worked.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

That's almost equivalent to saying you like shopping at thrift stores for the prices.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Which is also true.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'm not sure how I feel about a spa, as that means being around people which isn't something I always find relaxing-although sometimes I do, but there are things I do enjoy.

I enjoy being preened, to a point. It's not often I ask or find myself in the mood, but on occasion I do find myself enjoying that sort of attention.

I enjoy new boots. I haven't purchased a new pair in sometime though. I enjoy running, but since my back was injured I've done too damn little of that. I like a clean house, which is why I clean weekly.

I enjoy what I consider to be simple things.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Serious Paul wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about a spa, as that means being around people...
Actually it means being around _naked_ people which changes things somewhat. ;)
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

jo_alex wrote:
Serious Paul wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about a spa, as that means being around people...
Actually it means being around _naked_ people which changes things somewhat. ;)
Well, that would depend on the spa.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, a lot of the spas locally are really nothing more than glorified tanning salons. Nakendess really isn't the order of the day.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Yeah, a lot of the spas locally are really nothing more than glorified tanning salons. Nakendess really isn't the order of the day.
It's the Dutch then... ;)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Naked spas designed for giants?

Dwarven urge to anklebite and kill rising.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Yeah, a lot of the spas locally are really nothing more than glorified tanning salons. Nakendess really isn't the order of the day.
Yeah, that's totally not how it is on this side of the pond. I went to an indoor/outdoor spa, where everyone walks around naked. The only place where people are required to wear their robe is in the restaurant and lounging area's.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Even in the trendier spas towards Philly, you're pretty much expected to being your robe at all times with the exception of those goofy mud bath things, saunas, or massage sessions. That's according to the coworker who is all into them. To me, a spa means I remembered to shave that week, and I might have remembered to brush my hair before coming to work. :lol
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I heard naked yoga is getting popular in the US. To me that just does not sound good. You see enough weird angles of people clothed. You would see WAY too much of the person in front of you doing naked yoga. *shudder*
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

The only times I've visited a spa were for waxing treatments. Not sure if that qualifies as a relaxing experience though I tend to fall asleep while they are doing it.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Daki wrote:The only times I've visited a spa were for waxing treatments. Not sure if that qualifies as a relaxing experience though I tend to fall asleep while they are doing it.
:wideeyes :wideeyes :wideeyes
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Daki wrote:The only times I've visited a spa were for waxing treatments. Not sure if that qualifies as a relaxing experience though I tend to fall asleep while they are doing it.
<voiceclass=Crazy Elf> "Goddamnit, I'm not gay!"</voiceclass>
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Jeff Hauze wrote:<voiceclass=Crazy Elf> "Goddamnit, I'm not gay!"</voiceclass>
You're a straight bear?
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

When I was 17 and went to live in Japan, my host mom took me to a naked spa. I was in such complete fear and shock. Not only had I never seen that many naked people all in one room, but shit - I was the only American. I stuck out like a sore thumb. Oh man, for being raised to be at least mildly modest, that whole experience was traumatic.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Adam wrote:You're a straight bear?
Only when Daki waxes.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

But what I'm going to do with these cowboy outfits then? Fuck!
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Daki wrote:I know Brasky fancies wearing them.
Corrected for you there, sugarmuffin. :lol
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Okay, bend over and get it over with, boys. ;) Ha. You know I love ya!