Religion and Politics

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Religion and Politics

Post by Serious Paul »

What sort of role does a candidates religion play in how you vote?

The reason I ask, is I saw this, and although I know many of you are atheists, or agnostic in some way I was curious as to what your views on this sort of thing was.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Organized religon has long outgrown its usefulness, in fact I am less likely to vote for someone the more outspoken they are about religon.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Same here IC.
Unless they are talking about actual Freedom of Religion, I'm not very likely to get excited about them as a candidate. Honestly, I don't see that happening. The liberal side of the fence will stay away from it entirely because they don't want to alienate the folks who support organized religion, the conservaitves already have the Religious Right on their side.

At this point, I'd go for some Religion as a Non-Issue for the Government for 1000 Bob.
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

I think too many people are bringing religion into politics. I think they should be very seperate. I was so pissed off about this a few weeks ago. I don't really want to bring that all up again.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I'm less concerned with what religion they affiliate with and more about what effects it has on their policy stances.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Teja hit it on the head.

I am usually put off by candidates that make their religious beliefs the central point of their campaign. So long as they don't use their particular religion to pressure their political agenda, I don't care.

Then again, if a candidate came along who said they were buddhist, I'd probably be more inclined towards liking them.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, ahh, I've never voted for a religious candidate, I can tell you that.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Daki wrote: Then again, if a candidate came along who said they were buddhist, I'd probably be more inclined towards liking them.
That would make them more of a philosopher than outright religious anyhoo.

The likelihood of my voting for a candidate is inversely proportional to their religiosity. It's pretty cut and dry.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Szechuan wrote:
Daki wrote: Then again, if a candidate came along who said they were buddhist, I'd probably be more inclined towards liking them.

The likelihood of my voting for a candidate is inversely proportional to their religiosity. It's pretty cut and dry.
Exactly. :)
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I find that the more one talks about how religious they are, the more they fail to live up to the standards of said religion.

I mean, if you have to remind everyone that you're a Methodist...
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

About the only highly religious candidate I could get behind would be one who says that his religion dictates all places of worship will henceforth be put to the torch, including his own.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

In the news today, Falwell's dead.

I'm betting some doctor out there is telling his family, "You know, if we had some fucking stem cells, we could have saved his ass. You see, we baby-killing humanists have figured out a way to live to 500 and beat cancer, it's you Jesus freaks that're fucked."

See, if a Christian can believe in God but not Santa Claus...something's fucked up.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Szechuan wrote:
Don't think that Buddhism runs short of having crazy fundamentalist views. According to Buddhist tradition, homosexuality is wrong, as well as masturbation, and as well as <i>sex during the daytime</i>. Any religion that gets organised ends up floating away from its core text.

If it were just about core texts, then I'd vote for an Islamic candidate, as the Quran is very specific about accepting and not interfering with other religions. It says that once people of other religions are under your protection, you must treat them just as well as everyone else. That view is pretty much absent from every other religion that I know about.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

You're right Elf. I should have said I was more in favor of a candidate that focuses on the philosophical aspects rather than some of the fundamental texts.
Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

I'd love to have an athiest or agnostic candidate, but I understand we're a ways away from that. Barring that, give me someone who take's Christ's name in vain more often then in prayer, and I'll be happy. A good president should curse - if he's involved enough, there will always be reason to.
--- Cheddar Sword: +1 sharpness ---
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

Post by DrunkenMaster »

Tryyng said:
A good president should curse - if he's involved enough, there will always be reason to.
Well, we had Nixon. That didn't turn out so hot. Maybe R. Lee Ermey, running on the no Fat Bodies ticket?

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'd vote for Ermey. Twice.