[Television]Heroes

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

[Television]Heroes

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay I am all caught on my Heroes folks. Let's get to jibber-jabbering!

Spoilers ahead folks!!!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay I'm pretty fucked up after watching Episodes 20 and 21, and I am not sure what to say?

Nathan dies?

The bomb is all arranged? Wow days of future present X-men anyone?

I'm starting to like Peter more, Matt less-which sucks because I want to relate to Matthew. And of course I'm torqued about Hiro.

Although I love that they made Sylar a bit more relatable.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

My only beef is that I'm just not believing Peter as Claire's uncle. I mean, every time he walks up to her in the room, I'm like - "AH! He's gonna kiss her!" and then am like...oh wait. That'd be wrong? They just look so close in age. Milo (Peter) is only eleven or twelve years older than Hayden (Claire). Which isn't, y'know, implausible or anything - but it would just play more believeable on screen if she were 5 and he was a 17 year old or something. With them being older, it just seems less of a noticeable age gap.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Random thoughts:

Yeah, ep 21 was the first time I've actually liked Sylar, at all. Thanks, Mommy Sylar, for dooming the whole world. If only you'd told him he didn't have to be special! Geez! And I agree, I'm starting to like Peter a whole lot more, now he's not just Whiny Emo Kid. Matt got boring early on though; he's got the potential to be awesome, but he turned into more of a Whiny Emo Kid than Peter.

The "Five Years Gone" scenario is intended to show the heroes exactly what's at stack, and why they _must_ succeed. Nathan dead, Claire dead, Daddy Bennett dead... I can't see that happening. The show's creators acknowledge that it's a homage to Days of Future Past, too. :)

My theory: Mohinder is "the key" to his father's research. He's clearly been genetically engineered anyway; I'm sure his genetic code will unlock the rest of what his father had hidden. (Incidentally, have we ever found out exactly what Shanti's powers were?)

I can't wait to see what happens when Daddy/Matt/Ted actually find "The Walker System" now used by the company to find the mutants. Matt, put a bullet in the little girl he rescued, the one he wound up giving up his job for? I can't see that working out too well. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

I have the same thing about Peter and Claire - the looks they are exchanging are so not family-love only. I liked ep. 20 and the screwed up future it showed, but I guess the goal - to change it - is still achievable. Just someone please kill Suresh quick - I can't stand this guy.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Wasn't Shanti's power the same as the boy that Mohinder sees in that dream right before he figures out the password to his father's software? I thought it was mentioned or implied in one of those episodes.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Hrm. I didn't get that impression, although you could well be right. That said, have we seen anyone with duplicate powers yet? (Other than Peter, whose power *is* duplication, and Sylar, who just gets the powers of whoever he tastybrains.) Even closely related people have very different powers - Niki/Micah, DL/Micah, Texas!Claire!Mommy/Claire, Nathan/Claire, Nathan/Peter, Peter/Claire...
__
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

That's a good point. I distinctly recall coming that conclusion, but perhaps I was completely off.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

The invisible man who was teaching Peter to control his powers mentioned others who had the same ability as he has - to duplicate powers.

BTW I wonder what kind of power mother of Nathan and Peter has.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

The power to be a complete bitch?
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

That one doesn't require ANY special powers. ;) I bet their dad didn't commit suicide at all. She killed him (or made him kill himself) to help Nathan get where he is. All for the case.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

One theory that I heard was that Candice was pretending to be Ma Petrelli when she convinced Nathan to go through with the plan. She's definitely manipulative, but she seems to have a few redeeming qualities.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

WillyGilligan wrote:One theory that I heard was that Candice was pretending to be Ma Petrelli when she convinced Nathan to go through with the plan. She's definitely manipulative, but she seems to have a few redeeming qualities.
Yeah, we had that thought too. Mostly because we'd hypothesised that Mama and Papa Petrelli were amongst the people who split off from Linderman because they had a different vision and thought Linderman was misguided.

I'd also heard an interesting theory along the lines that it was Papa Petrelli that tried to have Nathan bumped off, and Linderman was protecting Nathan (and Nathan's role in the future) by taking out Papa Petrelli before he could do any more damage.
__
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Just watched the last episode. Spoiler below.

So... what do you think? Is Sylar dead? Did he have any ability to transform into bugs? They mentioned this other "worse" guy, which I guess could be our villain in the next season so they don't really need Sylar but it looks as though they left themselves a window open.

I don't understand why Peter couldn't just fly on his own. He could use two abilities at the same time, I believe.

Aside this one weak point and the whole sacrifice in the name of love routine - the last episode was brilliant, I thought. Totally made sense.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Sylar may well be dead, though I do like how they made it uncertain whether he went down that manhole himself or was dragged under by something else. There was also some strange tentacle or sludge that that was oozing up through the manhole after they showed it, which leads me to believe that something dragged him down - possibly the bigger bad guy mentioned by the tracking system.

I don't think Peter could fly because he was completely out of control with all the glowy radiation/ET hands. It was taking all his concentration to hold off the boom, and that kept him from doing anything else.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Peter did say that his radiation ability was blocking his other powers.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

I think the thing coming out of the manhole cover was a cockroach like the one that was in Sylar's cell at the paper plant. Unless you mean something that I didn't see.

I liked the ending. Not enough badass special effects, but it totally made sense withing the context of the other episodes except for Nikki fighting Sylar with no clear indication of which side of the fight was the bad guy

Good show and I'm looking forward to next season.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

There were a few glaring inconsistencies, such as the fact that after that little episode with Sylar everyone is free to go home by the police, which I can't imagine would happen. Especially "Noah," a name I love for his character, by the way.

Also, I think the sludge you're mentioning, Scamp, was just blood. I didn't spot a tentacle, but perhaps I wasn't looking properly.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

I haven't seen any tentacle either. The cockroach was what got me curious. Cause its presence in the otherwise probably sterile lab could not be an accident. And it did seem it was in some kind of contact with Sylar before.

Also - no one was running around saying either: "OMG, Sylar is finally dead!" or "OMG, Sylar has disappeared!". They kind of fast forward the last minutes - but I guess they might not be sure themselves yet where they want to go from there.

Oh, and Nikki knew Nathan, she might have known that Peter was his brother and that's why she chose to help him.

And who's Noah?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Claire's adopted father. He introduced himself as Noah. Considering his role in the bleak future as seen in episode 20, I think it's very appropriate.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

I missed it. :( And yes, it does fit.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Deev: Yeah, that bugged me as well.

Jo: Claire's adoptive dad, Mr. Bennet.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>