Medical

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Medical

Post by Liniah »

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you happen to know anything about this. The other night I scratched my leg. Just a normal scratch, nothing too crazy. Then I noitced that I had a bunch of broken blood vessels there. I also scratched a little on my other leg and it looked like one of the dark blue veins I have in my leg changed to be a little more blobby of a shape. Anyway, still have the broken bloodvessels on my one leg. It's very strange. I emailed my Dr and he said he didn't think it sounded like anything to worry about, but said I should come in to the nurse to have a blood test. Well, they are booked until after I leave the country and I'm not sure what's going on with insurance in the US, so....I don't know what to do. The Dr didn't even say what they would be blood testing for. So...if anyone has any knowledge about this sort of thing I'd love to hear it.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

That or possibly checking for anemia. Occasionally, when iron levels get too low, you can leak blood a lot more easily.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Isn't there anyway you can go and see your doctor instead of e-mailing him?
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

That's just it, when Claus called they didn't have a open spot before I leave with the blood-taking nurse. Just a bit ago I signed up for a doctor apointment online, so I will be going in on Mon. I don't know why the receptionist didn't just set me up with a dr apointment instead when Claus called. Very strange, but I have an apointment now.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Ah, that's good. I never like it when people try to self-diagnose. Better to let a professional take a look at it before they start sticking needles in you.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Yeah, it's just half the time in Denmark the dr says 'wait two weeks and see if you're better'. Luckily I was able to get an apointment with the 'good doctor'.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Liniah wrote:Yeah, it's just half the time in Denmark the dr says 'wait two weeks and see if you're better'. Luckily I was able to get an apointment with the 'good doctor'.
Yeah, we have those types of doctors, too. I guess they're unhindered by severe malpractice suits that can be filed against them, and they are quick to say "oh, walk it off for a while, and see if it goes away by itself." I guess that's another way in which Denmark resembles the Netherlands a lot; undermedication.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:I guess that's another way in which Denmark resembles the Netherlands a lot; undermedication.
Undermedication in the Netherlands is the understatement of the year. I still don't understand how they can give you a diagnosis by a phone. :wideeyes
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Once I went in complaining about knee pain that I've had for YEARS. It has been getting gradually worse for the past ten years or so. No, maybe even longer. Anyway, I was told 'oh, see if it's better in two weeks'. FOR FUCK'S SAKE, I HAD THE PAIN FOR THE PAST TEN YEARS!
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Liniah wrote:Anyway, I was told 'oh, see if it's better in two weeks'.
Standard answer in the Netherlands, too.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

What do you mean, "broken blood vessels?"
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

It looks like a hickey, except the area it covers is larger and the individual spots are a little farther apart.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

When you scratched your leg, was there any kind of impact with it, or did you drag your leg heavily across a surface? I've had broken blood vessels for a number of reasons - comes with odd injuries - but the only time I might get them when I get a scratch is if there was also a small amount of impact trauma or pressure/dragging, somewhere between "nothing happens" and "bruised."
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

jo_alex wrote:Undermedication in the Netherlands is the understatement of the year.
Personally, I prefer it to the alternative, overmedication, which is pronounced "United States." I know people who go to the hospital at the first sign of stomach pain, people who go to the doctor for every cough or sniffle, people who take handfuls of pills every day. And I'm not talking medically overprotective parents - although you see a lot of that, too - I'm talking grown men and women, old enough to be healthy but young enough to not need to be concerned over every ache and pain.

The only time I've been to a doctor in the last 10 years is when I go there to get something I already know I need, but only the doctor can give me; prescriptions, basically, and in the last 10 years I think I've had one. I go to the hospital if I'm injured too badly to fix it myself. And I'm not, like, Mr Rugged Guy or whatever, and I do just fine. America's medical obsession is ludicrous.

I agree, though, that the "take some vitamins" solution to every medical malady in the Netherlands is just the far side of the same pendulum. Although I wouldn't mind diagnosis-by-phone. :D
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I remember an episode of E.R. (which is about the extent of my medical knowledge) in which the waiting area was filled with people who had the flu, who came in for a penecilin shot. It was a busy night at the E.R. so one of the doctors walked in and asked "Who's here with the flu?" Almost everyone raised their hands, and he said; "Go home. There's no penecilin for you today, get some sleep and a warm shower." Basically the same as "walk it off." I was watching it with an American in the room who said that it wasn't out of the ordinary for people get shots when they have the flu.

I am definitely Dutch in the sense that I'll wait (too long) before going to the doctor, which has lead to a situation where if I had waited another day they would've had to operate on my leg, and perhaps even amputate it (I had a badly neglected infection from an old kick-wound.) I know I'm not being wise, but the way I was brought up I can't just seem to shake.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:I am definitely Dutch in the sense that I'll wait (too long) before going to the doctor...
That is what is hard for me to stomach in this country. That people here (even intelligent ones) seem to be oblivious to the fact that there might be some serious consequences if you do not get medical help right away in certain cases.
3278 wrote:I know people who go to the hospital at the first sign of stomach pain, people who go to the doctor for every cough or sniffle, people who take handfuls of pills every day
There are always some hypochondriacs out there. But the fact that regardless the medical problem you arrived at the doctor's office with they are going to treat you as one is what I do not like about NL's health system.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

jo_alex wrote:There are always some hypochondriacs out there. But the fact that regardless the medical problem you arrived at the doctor's office with they are going to treat you as one is what I do not like about NL's health system.
That's nonsense. You have good and bad doctors. If your doctor treats you like a hypochondriac then go to someone who will take you seriously. Now you're generalising the entire medical field.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

3278 wrote:When you scratched your leg, was there any kind of impact with it, or did you drag your leg heavily across a surface? I've had broken blood vessels for a number of reasons - comes with odd injuries - but the only time I might get them when I get a scratch is if there was also a small amount of impact trauma or pressure/dragging, somewhere between "nothing happens" and "bruised."
Nope. It itched so I scratched it. Less hard than I'd scratch a mosquito bite.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

It might simply be a bruise. I have a million bruises due to Kung Fu, and they all itch like crazy when they start healing. It's a good sign.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

jo_alex wrote: There are always some hypochondriacs out there. But the fact that regardless the medical problem you arrived at the doctor's office with they are going to treat you as one is what I do not like about NL's health system.
I've said the same thing about Denmark.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:That's nonsense. You have good and bad doctors. If your doctor treats you like a hypochondriac then go to someone who will take you seriously. Now you're generalising the entire medical field.
I'm not generalising. Talking from my own experience here with various medical assistents and various doctors. I don't have just one house doctor - since I'm signed up at the university medical centre and am going to whomever is available at the time. And I always make them take me seriously. But that's the thing - their attitude is always patronizing at first. They act as if they are just indulging you by listening to you. It's quite condescending.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Exactly...
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

jo_alex wrote:I'm not generalising. Talking from my own experience here with various medical assistents and various doctors. I don't have just one house doctor - since I'm signed up at the university medical centre and am going to whomever is available at the time. And I always make them take me seriously. But that's the thing - their attitude is always patronizing at first. They act as if they are just indulging you by listening to you. It's quite condescending.
I've never once had that experience. I know what the popular image is that most doctors have, and I've heard stories, but all of them take me seriously. Perhaps that's because I only come in when it's really, really necessary. Trust me, shop around for a doctor and you'll find plenty of good ones.
But the fact that regardless the medical problem you arrived at the doctor's office with they are going to treat you as one is what I do not like about NL's health system.
And this is most certainly a generalisation.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

DV8 wrote:I've never once had that experience. I know what the popular image is that most doctors have, and I've heard stories, but all of them take me seriously. Perhaps that's because I only come in when it's really, really necessary.
DV8 wrote:which has lead to a situation where if I had waited another day they would've had to operate on my leg, and perhaps even amputate it (I had a badly neglected infection from an old kick-wound.)
Well, if your doctor knows you from this side I can believe he's taking you seriously when you arrive at his office. ;)
DV8 wrote:Trust me, shop around for a doctor and you'll find plenty of good ones.
I'm sure if I had my own doctor who would have known my medical history it might have looked otherwise. But what I am trying to explain is that in case they do not know you they should not start by making assumptions that you are going to bother them unnecessarily.
Marius

Post by Marius »

It looks like a hickey, except the area it covers is larger and the individual spots are a little farther apart.
Oh. Then yeah, you're bleeding. Time for blood tests.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Can't we all just agree that doctors are quacks and that leeches are really the solution to all problems? :lol
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

DV8 wrote:
jo_alex wrote:I'm not generalising. Talking from my own experience here with various medical assistents and various doctors. I don't have just one house doctor - since I'm signed up at the university medical centre and am going to whomever is available at the time. And I always make them take me seriously. But that's the thing - their attitude is always patronizing at first. They act as if they are just indulging you by listening to you. It's quite condescending.
I've never once had that experience. I know what the popular image is that most doctors have, and I've heard stories, but all of them take me seriously. Perhaps that's because I only come in when it's really, really necessary. Trust me, shop around for a doctor and you'll find plenty of good ones.
I have everything but the original surgical report from my accident in a nice large folder that I take with me to new doctors, or ER visits. Before I open my mouth, I hand the doc the folder. They stop not taking my comments seriously at that point.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

sinsual wrote:I have everything but the original surgical report from my accident in a nice large folder that I take with me to new doctors, or ER visits. Before I open my mouth, I hand the doc the folder. They stop not taking my comments seriously at that point.
I bring my tupperware o' meds with me. They look at them and go, "Well shit. Let's get you fixed so we can get rid of some of those, shall we?"
My mother has fun with doctors too. They literally ran out of room on the folder for the meds she's allergic to.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Marius

Post by Marius »

Can't we all just agree that doctors are quacks and that leeches are really the solution to all problems?
Well, maybe except for the people with the bleeding problems.
My mother has fun with doctors too. They literally ran out of room on the folder for the meds she's allergic to.
Oh, that sounds like loads of fun. *shudder*
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Marius wrote:
Oh. Then yeah, you're bleeding. Time for blood tests.
Sounds like petechiae, but like you said, time for blood tests.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Marius wrote:Well, maybe except for the people with the bleeding problems.
Fuck the bleeders. Leeches for the win.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Whelp, they took my blood yesterday morning. Nothing out of the ordinary. Now, just this afternoon, the area around where they took the blood is a huge bruise. That has never happened to me before. Uck.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Some time ago I got a bruise on my hip that only started to become nasty black (about the size of a hand, fingers spread) two or three days after the injury. Perhaps it's a normal bruise that is only now getting to look really nasty.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Can you eat too much omega-3? Could that make me bruise/bleed more? I've been eating a lot of salmon lately... I know some inuit peoples have trouble with hemophilia because half their diet consists of oily fish.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

From what I read online it's too little vitamin B-12 or folic acid that could lead to thrombocytopenia - which is one cause of problems with bruises/bleeding.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I don't think the dr is even testing for vitamins and minerals though. He said he would check white and red count and platelets.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Thrombocytopenia means too little platelets in your blood. The tests should show that.
Marius

Post by Marius »

He should really be checking PT and PTT as well. I mean, we know you're bleeding, but those are still handy.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Well, maybe he's checking for more and just didn't know how to say it in English.

Oh, and get this. He said if those tests turn out to be ok, then maybe it was just a bug. WTF? I'm sorry, but that mark was not caused by a bug.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

In case anyone is interested, I got my results. All the blood tests came back normal.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

That makes no sense whatsoever.
Marius

Post by Marius »

Did you get to find out exactly what blood tests he ordered?
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

When he took the blood he said red count, white count, and platelets. That's all I know.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Somebody page House.

Not knowing, would normal blood work be able to detect most of the potential problems?
IrnMaidan
Tasty Human

Post by IrnMaidan »

Liniah wrote:When he took the blood he said red count, white count, and platelets. That's all I know.
If the doctor took the blood work and everything came back normal for just those three things all that determins is that you have a normal wbc, rbc, and platelet count. A normal platelet count will clot the bleeding and the wbc will help prevent infection (which I doubt there will be any). The other thing that you would want him to test is vitamins and minerals. You could still have a low iron count which could make you anemic. You might also have a low vitamin count of some kind. Did you happen to hit your leg and not realise it cause I tend to do that all the time and when the bruse starts to form it starts to itch and the next thing I know I look like the beaten step-child. But I would definately ask the doctor to check some of the vitamin and mineral counts because with just blood counts they really can't determin if there even is anything wrong. But the doc is probably right and there probably is really nothing to worry about. But I would still ask about it.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

It happened again. This time on my arm after scratching. :/
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

But this time you're surrounded by American doctors, yes?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Yeah, and have been battling with an insurance company on every inch of my coverage so far...and I don't have a spare $85 to spend on the doctor at the moment. I have to pay for this past month of insurance apparently, even though they were not able to tell me which doctors I'm allowed to see in order to get my copay. They sent me a past due notice for the bill because they couldn't take the money out of my account even though they have the right account number. They got my address wrong. And I have spent I don't know how long on the phone with like 5 different people trying to get this doctor network thing sorted out. Coverage starts June 2 my ass!!! I STILL don't have an insurance card for the network I'm now on because they never could figure out what doctor I could see on the other network. It's such bullshit. But in short, I can't see a doctor until my insurance company gets their shit together (even though I have to pay for it while they don't have their shit together) unless I want to pay $85-ish for an appointment.