What are you reading?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

What are you reading?

Post by DrunkenMaster »

So, what are you reading? I've always enjoyed seeing the varied interests on this board and the book threads in particular.

I've fallen into some free time and rediscovered that I can spend more on books than anything else in my life. I've currently got about 4 books I'm reading through with a few magazines thrown in for fun. I'm also trying to set up a system where I don't focus on just one genre or topic, which is having mixed results. Books are teh crack.

So, here is the current list from the past few months:

Where have all the Leaders gone? Lee Iacocca
A pretty interesting outlook on our nation from the guy who saved Chrysler, only to see it get tanked by Mercedes in the merger.

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by John A. Nagl and Peter J. Schoomaker

Very interesting book, sometimes. I have to be in the correct frame of mind to read this book, but the lessons learned from it and history of the conflicts are very relevant to today.

White Night by Jim Butcher
A candy bar book. Fills your stomach, no nutritional value. He's a decent writer but more of a fill in till the next Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, James Alan Gardner, or Peter F. Hamilton. I'm kind of burnt on SF/Fantasy because 95% of it is shit, but I have thumbed through my favorites so often I keep hoping something will turn up new.

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
An outlook on how our global economy is being changed by technological advances. Great read and an eye opener. I don't have the revised version and I doubt I'll pick it up.

Freakonomics by by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
Holy Shit. Awesome book. Get it.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
Since High School, I've been on the fence about the God/no God issue. This book helped me pick a side. I don't consider it inflammatory, but he doesn't mince words either.

Other Stuff:

Web-
Michael Yon: An independent reporter currently covering the war in Iraq/Afghanistan. He is a former soldier, an excellent writer, and in my opinion very fair. I highly encourage everyone to at least look at his site.

Start here: www.michaelyon.blogspot.com for his old dispatches
This is his new site: www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/

Magazine-
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition
Support an American Institution

The Economist
I love the format of this magazine more than any other 'serious' periodical. I don't subscribe to it but I'll usually pick one up at the store as an impulse buy.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'm reading the Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin, and his series entitled "The Corps".

I also am reading the latest issue of Wizard.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I'm currently going back and forth between The Shuttered Room, and other Tales of Horror by H.P. Lovecraft and August Derleth and Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan and The Hill of Dreams.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Oddly enough, at this moment, I have nothing new to read, and am not interested in the old stuff filling my shelves. I will however be heading to the library in the next day or two to raid their shelves, though I am admittedly looking for a book on Chassis Engineering for some light reading...
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Lately I've just been reading game rulebooks, comics, and software manuals. More of the former two than the latter. Although I did just finish Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, worst part of that is, I had to look at the book to remember how to spell the title (which is a normal word) but not the author.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

I've been chewing through The Dresden Files at about two to three novels a week.
Twelve-hour "Guard this place while nothing happens" shifts are good for something.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Just about to start the new Guy Gavriel Kay novel, "Ysabel".
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Jestyr wrote:Just about to start the new Guy Gavriel Kay novel, "Ysabel".
I loved The Fionavar Tapestry by him.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I have a book list that is way too long at the moment.

Hoping to get more read this summer though.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

OOh, big suprise here!
May 2007 Reading List
Flight of the Eisenstein, by James Swallow
Ravenor Rogue, by Dan Abnett
Chapter War, by Ben Counter
The Skystone, by Jack Whyte
Team Yankee, by Harold Coyle
White Dwarf Magazine, issue 328
No Quarter Magazine, issue 11
Marvel Comics, Civil War, TPB, issues 1-7

...and with that I'm out of reading material!
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

I've just finished a really good translation of The Dhammapada, and will be reading The Universe in a Single Atom by the Dalai Lama shortly.
Last edited by Szechuan on Fri May 11, 2007 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Just finished "World War Z" and highly recommend it.

My reading is going to be taking a backseat to my writing for the next month so I'll just be sticking to my usual TPBs.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Currently reading "Memories of Ice" by Steven Erikson, third book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen saga. And enjoying it immensely.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Currently re-reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. Because it's still that fucking funny.

Just finished re-reading "Snow Crash."

Waiting for the new Horus Heresy book, since the series has been fucking excellent.

I've been sampling a bunch of different things recently to find some good non-fiction reading, but just haven't found much to my taste since the last batch of stuff last year.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Just about to start the new Guy Gavriel Kay novel, "Ysabel".
Holy shit, I didn't know he had anything new out. I'll have to pick that up. I've read everything I can find of his, and am never disappointed.

Currently reading "Dragon Avenger" by E.E. Knight. The second in a pretty good series told from the dragons' perspective.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I've just about finished with Chaos: Making a New Science--a treatise on Chaos Theory.

When I finish with it, I'm either going to move on to 1984 or Moby Dick, because I've been on a "return to the classics" kick lately.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Ancient History
Demon

Jeff Hauze wrote:Currently re-reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. Because it's still that fucking funny.

Just finished re-reading "Snow Crash."

Waiting for the new Horus Heresy book, since the series has been fucking excellent.

I've been sampling a bunch of different things recently to find some good non-fiction reading, but just haven't found much to my taste since the last batch of stuff last year.
My niggah.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Uhh...thanks?

I wish I could have gotten into Hornby's other stuff. I just couldn't.

But what the fuck happened to Stephenson in recent years? That Baroque cycle was godawful.

Oh...and more Matt Ruff. Must have more Matt Ruff. Absolutely cannot re-read Sewer, Gas, and Electric enough. Who can't get behind a Black Amish pacifist eco-terrorist as a protaganist?
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ancient History
Demon

Jeff Hauze wrote:But what the fuck happened to Stephenson in recent years? That Baroque cycle was godawful.
I'm in the minority that like the Baroque Cycle. Even I think it dips off toward the end (say, book three, novels five and six).
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Ancient History wrote:
Jeff Hauze wrote:But what the fuck happened to Stephenson in recent years? That Baroque cycle was godawful.
I'm in the minority that like the Baroque Cycle. Even I think it dips off toward the end (say, book three, novels five and six).
Well, if it's any consolation, I really liked the Baroque Cycle as well, though The System of the World felt a bit rushed. Like he was desperate to get to the conclusion of the series.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I can'ts reads.