Office Friendships

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Office Friendships

Post by Ampere »

In a similar vein to Office Relationships, Office Friendships could be problematic. Fraternazation with co-workers can lead to workplace issues.

For example in the army I used to game with a group of guys, but we always came in civvies, reason being some were enlisted, some officers. I've gamed with my XO before (D&D) and gamed with my subordinates as well. I used to play D&D with my boss in the civilian world and played other games with other bosses as well.

Thankfully we've always handled it okay, easy separation between work and play. I can see how it could lead to weirdness though.

A buddy of mine was the DM of the weekly D&D campaign. He was also on my team when I was a supervisor at Charter. I had to call him in for some counseling (he'd been screwing off) and I needed to "have a talk with him". Thankfully, it went well, and all was good. I basically told him. "Dude, I'm getting asked questions about your productivity and adherance to schedule. Folks are watching, so you're gonna need to tighten it up". It turned out okay because we both understood the deal and there were no further issues. He didn't push it and neither did I.
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

In the same right, though, office friendships are what make me love my job so much. I work a very emotionally-intense job that, if the other employees there were not individuals who could form friendships, support and empathize with one another, I'd probably be gone by now.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

In my line of work, your office friendships pretty much determine the course of your jobs. If I don't make friends (and then demonstrate a certain amount of talent) with the right people, I don't get called for jobs. Now granted, not all of these have to be close friendships, but you do have to perform regular maintenance on your relationships. I wish I didn't have to be 'on' all the time, but that's the way it is.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

When you spend x hours every day with the same people some kind of kinship is usually created. Having to work closely with someone you do not like and respect is one of the hardest things to pull off, in my belief. I always made friends at work, though my coworkers were usually not my closest friends. But since last year I get to share an office with two people who became my very good friends. It makes working difficult sometimes since every personal crisis needs to be discussed before we do any work, but I think we manage to keep the balance.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Due to some things in my childhood, I got really good at keeping school, work, family and friends separate. At the time I felt I had to, but now I don't need to, but still prefer it. It doesn't feel right when I let worlds mix too much. That's why I have never really found real friends at work, beyond a collegial friendship.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I rarely mix work with home, or social events. I do like some of the people I work with on a somewhat personal level, but very few people at work even know my first name, let alone address me by it. (Even after seven years.)

I have few friends, many acquaintances. And to be honest I like it this way. It saves me a lot of hassle, and it's easier to manage.

I rarely attend work related social events, events sponsored or hosted by coworkers, or the like. In seven years I have hung outside of work maybe a half dozen times, give or take two.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Everyone involved (you, your friend, and your coworkers) just has to know where the work and social boundaries are. Promoted Office Monkey is one of my bosses. I've known him since high school...hell, he's my roommate and on my pool team. Both of us are mature enough to know that work and socializing are separate. Yes, I've gotten written up by him before and I understand that it was because I screwed up at work...it's nothing personal, he's not out to get me.

One of the other drivers: "You got called into the office...what happened?"
Me: "I got written up for failing to make sure something was done."
Other patrol driver: "That's messed up...he's your friend."
Me: "And? I screwed up...totally my fault."

When both of us worked patrol, we made an effort to separate work and social life...the other drivers knew we were friends and the office at the time was known for rampant favoritism by the higher ups to their friends. When he called, if it was regarding work, then I'd be addressed as Lt Castonguay. If POM was making a social call, then he'd call me by my first name, similar to what Amp did.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I think it's cool when it works. Not everyone is mature enough to tandle the duality of it though. When it doesn't work...it sucks.
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Oh, definitely. Another friend used to work with us...and he's a case of work and friendships getting in the way. Somehow, I was "beneath him," even though I was supervisor and the grave MOD on the weekends. He pretty much exemplifies Chaotic Neutral (watching him play a LG cleric has been fun! :D )
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>