Office Romances: Where do you weigh in?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Office Romances: Where do you weigh in?

Post by Serious Paul »

So have you had an office romance? What do you feel about people who have office relationships?
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Have I had one? Sort of. We both knew that to pursue our feelings/intentions one of us would have to quit work, and neither of us was ready/willing to do that so it didn't happen.

My personal take is that you don't shit where you eat. In others, hey, that is their problem. I will not look badly at them as long as they can maintain a professional level while at work together. If they can't, then yes its a problem.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Since I'm getting married to my "office romance" in about 4 months, there really isn't much else I can say...
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Depends where you work, but I can't see a problem with it. It's not like working with your S.O. is verboten.

In special circumstances - armed forces and the like - it's probably a bad idea, but in general I have nothing against it.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Definitely opposed, without question. It's funny, because I've got no problems with other folks having such relationships. But I still think it's the wrong decision. There's a separation that you need to have between personal and professional. That line shouldn't be crossed. The ironic part is that four of my friends are in relationships (with other two from that group of four) that developed at work and while working together. But personally, no fucking way.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

If you're fucking at work don't get caught. That's my advice. :D
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Never had one like that. My ex and I met while working together awhile back, but we both got laid off and started new jobs, shortly after meeting. We were together nearly a year.

I don't think it becomes a problem until the split goes down - particularly if its nasty. If so, I think it's your responsibility as a coworker to shut your trap and keep your personal life to yourself.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

If you've got a little somethin-somethin going on with your boss, it is best to keep it from your co-workers.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I dated one of my subordinates and it was fine for a while. We kept things separated well. Personal was personal, and work was work. I had to counsel her one time, THAT was uncomfortable. Eventually we broke up, which made it all fall apart. Then things got crossed-over. I ended up firing her.

On the flipside, I've worked with my wife now what...3 times? Most recently was as a claims adjuster, we both had the same job title, at the same company, made the same pay, and worked in the same team. No problems.

I can't say that working with your SO is a bad thing, just that it can be complicated. You have to keep work at work and home at home. It does make your commute nice, and getting to go to lunch with her daily is nice too.

No hanky-panky in the copy-room though. Big-time NO NO.
;)
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

If both sides understand and can seperate work from personal life, then there is no problem. Sadly, I've seen that most people cannot and if the relationship goes south it leads to all kinds of problems at work.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'm generally against office relationship, for two simple reasons: Most people have enough problems separating their off duty/out of work hobbies/interests/etc from their time at work (How much time we lose at my job to hunting discussions or people watching NASCAR) and two when things go south, which the majority of office relationships I have seen do go south, everyone around you has to deal with your fall out.

In my experience most people tend to measure their lives by the yard stick they got in high school. To them it matters who was the prom queen, and who played ball in school. So their point of reference is so totally different than my own.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Jaded and I got together through work and an "office romance"
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

I guess it really depends on what type of job it is too, and how the work-place dynamic is.
zemookie
Tasty Human

Post by zemookie »

No. Can't see doing an office relationship. I say this even when I was single. Wouldn't want to blur the two together.

For those who did....more power to ya. Just would never do it myself.

Cartman: You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

No. The tension levels are just not worth it. I specifically declined a job I was offered because my significant other worked in the same business.

Sure, some people might pull it off, but it's not something I would consider, except in very specific circumstances (like a family business).
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

The longest and by far most enjoyable relationship I have had started as an office romance.

It worked for us because neither one of us let our private lives enter into our work, while we were working together we heard a few bads things said of each other, not in regards to our dating (no one ever knew). We just wouldn't let anything cross that barrier, from person to professional, or the other way.

I remember arguing with her at work about work and once we got together after work there wasn't mention of it. So... it helps if you try really really really hard to separate your two worlds.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Never had an office romance, but I have set friends up (unwittingly) with coworkers. Wow, that can be just as fun when their relationship heads south.

Would I have an office romance? that depends on our dept/level. If we're at the same level or if she's in a different department, then bring on the Cash Love. If one of is a supervisor to the other, then hell no. Even if the relationship works out and goes the distance, it can start way too many problems (with the SO, with coworkers, with the higher up bosses, etc).
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>