Aeroponics

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Aeroponics

Post by UncleJoseph »

I posted this over on Animalball a while back, but here's what I'm doing:

After researching aeroponics and hydroponics, I decided to go the easy route and purchase an AeroGarden. It came in the mail today, and I am eager to get it up and running. If I had built a custom system, it would have cost more up front, but it would have been way more flexible for future crops. I figure that if this becomes a hobby of mine, I'll end up purchasing all the custom stuff anyway.

We decided to grow the salad greens first, although I have the herb kit and cherry tomatoes kits. We should be able to start harvesting the salad greens in just under 3 weeks, once I get the seed pods going. Next up will probably be the herbs, but I have to learn how to cook with them first (the company was gracious enough to include many recipes).

Updates to follow, for anyone who's interested.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Have you got a garden? Sunshine is free, dirt too. Rain, it rains in Michigan, right? Seeds, those cost... about a buck a pack, I think. :D

Actual, all jokes aside, vegetables grown in soil taste much nicer than hydro/aero-ponic ones, you'll notce a big difference with your first crop of tomatoes.

I miss growing tomatoes in our garden in Michigan, my Papa used to bury a dead fish under the soil every spring as fertilizer, and then later we would have huge beefsteak tomatoes,zuccinis, cucumbers, and eggplants. Yum.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Though Hydro weed was rather nice to me in the past. :crack
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Angel wrote:Have you got a garden? Sunshine is free, dirt too. Rain, it rains in Michigan, right? Seeds, those cost... about a buck a pack, I think.
In Lansing where I live, I have no place for a garden, despite owning my own house. Not only that, but I can grow year round with aeroponics. Also, this is more of an educational exercise than a desire to become a gardener. I'm interested in the science of it all.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Flavor is heavily affected by trace mineral and nutrient content of the soil/water/fog. I would expect it to be easier to make more "flavorful" fruits/veggies in soil because it is likely to contain trace nutrients that you may miss when figuring out your plants meals from scratch.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Yay, my 7 different varieties of lettuce/greens have sprouted!!!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

UncleJoseph wrote:In Lansing where I live, I have no place for a garden, despite owning my own house.
Yeah he's not kidding here. His garden would be trashed in a heart beat. Corner house is a bitch all in it's own right, then add in the traffic, and neighbors and so long garden.

Plus his yard is small, all things considered. But nice. My kids loved it.