If you could go anywhere...?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

If you could go anywhere...?

Post by Serious Paul »

I was going to revive this thread, but after reading it I decided it's best to start with a clean slate.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? And why?
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Chicago/Michigan. Because I've been meaning to for a long time.

Sometime this or early next year. As in, my first vacation.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Someplace that english it the standard language, that has a decent paying job that'll let me afford a decent apartment and net connection.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Toryu wrote:Chicago/Michigan. Because I've been meaning to for a long time.

About damn time!

As for me, Amsterdam (or really anywhere in Europe).
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Daki wrote:As for me, Amsterdam (or really anywhere in Europe).
You had your chance and the perfect reason...
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Ireland. It's been a dream forever.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Big Jim wrote:
Daki wrote:As for me, Amsterdam (or really anywhere in Europe).
You had your chance and the perfect reason...
But no funds.
zemookie
Tasty Human

Post by zemookie »

I would like to visit Italy again. Or even go visit family in AZ

Cartman: You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Well, I've been planning on going to Italy for like 2 years now, but we keep not having the money for it, so I'm going to say Italy.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

We are looking at making another trip to Barcelona but with a vehicle rental this time. We are also working on going to Disney Tokyo for our 5 year wedding anniversary.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

The UK. For about a month.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

I'd like to go to the Maldives, which I plan on seeing in about September this year. However, as I understand it there's a BD'ers wedding in Michigan (or have I missed it) - I'd really like to go to that instead.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

New York. Did it back when I was 18 with the family but now I'd like to go back with some people and do it properly. And depending on how badly work decides to screw me regarding holiday time this year I might actually be able to make it.

Other place would be Zanzibar. Now idea why, the place just appeals to me. :)
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Fuck Simon, you're British...you get more Vacation and general time off than GOD.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Daki wrote:
Toryu wrote:Chicago/Michigan. Because I've been meaning to for a long time.

About damn time!

As for me, Amsterdam (or really anywhere in Europe).
Amsterdam I can't be of any assistance with, but Prague or Frankfurt... :cute
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Ugh, where *don't* I want to go? (Well, actually, I have little desire to visit the Middle East, or much of South-East Asia.) Top of the list would probably be 'more of Europe', particularly Germany; 'more of the US', particularly the eastern half; China, Japan, and all the bits of my own continent I haven't seen yet.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Just because I'm a masochist, I am finally in the preliminary planning stages for a trip to the US. Other than that, I want to go to Venice again. Several more times, actually. As well as Rome, Prague, the Estremaduras in Spain, Scotland, China, Japan.

Fuck it, I even want to go to Australia.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Jestyr wrote:Ugh, where *don't* I want to go? (Well, actually, I have little desire to visit the Middle East, or much of South-East Asia.) Top of the list would probably be 'more of Europe', particularly Germany; 'more of the US', particularly the eastern half; China, Japan, and all the bits of my own continent I haven't seen yet.
Particularly Germany? Interesting. You don't hear that very often? Can I ask you what you find interesting about it/which sights you'd like to see?
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Ampere wrote:Fuck Simon, you're British...you get more Vacation and general time off than GOD.
Five weeks bitches! :D The only real problem is sitting down with someone from personnel and trying to book some time off and actually getting it approved. Managerial organisation is not my place's strong point which has led to some 'fun' in the past, plus the burning urge to stab people in the face.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

I would LOVE to take a vacation in SE Asia or the Middle East once (if) things get settled down and more stable in that part of the world.

I really want to go on a trip after the wedding next summer but we'll see where our finances are.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

For me, I have to interpret the question as asking, "Where in the universe would you go?"

I would spend the rest of my life exploring the cosmos in person (if it were possible, which it isn't...yet). Interstellar travel, exploring solar systems (starting with our's). Hell I might even use some astrometric equipment and chart gaseous or temporal anomalies if I could.

And yes, I am in ubergeek.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Daki wrote:But no funds.
As I recall that conversation the funds were offered...
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Serious Paul wrote:
That was my impression as well...
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Tromso, Norway, to see the northern lights. And... I'm going to go, in 4 years.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Iantha wrote:I would LOVE to take a vacation in SE Asia or the Middle East once (if) things get settled down and more stable in that part of the world.
South East Asia is pretty stable, isn't it?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Angel wrote:Tromso, Norway, to see the northern lights. And... I'm going to go, in 4 years.
Why so long? I mean, you could drive there. Well, if you had a car, which I wouldn't be surprised to find out you don't.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Angel wrote:Tromso, Norway, to see the northern lights. And... I'm going to go, in 4 years.
I was just there in September! It kicks ass. However, we didn't get to see the lights. It was the wrong time of year. One bit of advice, pay attention to your timing. The cable cars were closed for repairs, the church by the cable cars was closed, and we were the wrong time of year for the lights. Though I must say, even though the main attractions were closed when we were there, we still had a fabulous time. (And you may want to stop in Oslo for a few days on your way if you've never been there.) If you need any info or recomendations feel free to contact me.

Tromsø:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/ ... G_1612.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/ ... G_1607.jpg
Last edited by Liniah on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Serious Paul wrote:
They were? My memory of everything around then is fuzzy just because of the sheer madness with everything going on. But if they were, my response was probably that no one should have to pay my way except me.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

3278 wrote:
Why so long? I mean, you could drive there. Well, if you had a car, which I wouldn't be surprised to find out you don't.
4 years from now, because this year I'm either going to Turkey or Greece AND Croatia for a couple of weeks. Next year Dani and I are going to do a European tour (five coutnries - three weeks), and then I'm going to wait a year, save up a huge amount of cash and do a second European tour ending in Tromso in time to see the northern lights.

And... nope, no car, and I'll never have one either. :) I love mass-transist!
Liniah wrote:
I was just there in September! It kicks ass. However, we didn't get to see the lights. It was the wrong time of year. One bit of advice, pay attention to your timing. The cable cars were closed for repairs, the church by the cable cars was closed, and we were the wrong time of year for the lights. Though I must say, even though the main attractions were closed when we were there, we still had a fabulous time. (And you may want to stop in Oslo for a few days on your way if you've never been there.) If you need any info or recomendations feel free to contact me.
Coolness! Yeah, the only reason why I ever considered Tromso was for the northern lights, so of course it'll be in february (northern light time). The bad thing about going there during the winter months is that I'm not going to go whale watching in the artic circle, but I think we'll be able to do that a bit further south.

Linah, why did you go during that time of the year? Was it especially expensive?
Green-eyed kitten
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Jestyr wrote:'more of the US', particularly the eastern half;
Buy the Cliff Notes. They're more interesting, especially from the guy who lives here.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

BS. The eastern part of the U.S. is beautiful. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

As for where I'd go? No place really interests me a great deal. I guess there's a few places I'd take a trip to again, but there's really nothing that jumps out at me telling me I have to go there immediately. I wouldn't mind another trip to New Orleans. The last two day trip I spent there really didn't leave enough drinking time. Maybe another run through the Miami/Keys circuit, especially having more money and being of legal drinking age this time. I'm not into the tourist stuff and I'm not overly big on traveling in general. I don't have the crazed need to go randomly visit Bulldrekkers anymore either. Though I have to admit, the nearly occurred surprise visit to Amsterdam would have been somewhat comical.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

DV8 wrote:BS. The eastern part of the U.S. is beautiful. :)
I agree, for the most part. A few spots I didn't like, but that is mainly specific cities, rather than states.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Angel »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Buy the Cliff Notes. They're more interesting, especially from the guy who lives here.
Upstate New York, anywhere in Maine or Vermont, Boston (all of the historical places), New York City!, New Jersey.

joking about New Jersey
Green-eyed kitten
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote:BS. The eastern part of the U.S. is beautiful. :)
Everything's beautiful to a part-time resident.

And Angel, if you weren't joking about Dirty Jersey (enough reason alone to hate the eastern US) I'd have no choice but to kill you for the betterment of humanity. Next you folks are going to claim there's actually something worthwhile about New York State and/or City. Silly furriners.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Even New Jersey has fantastic woods. Weirdos. Perhaps it's because the Netherlands has no natural forests or woods at all.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Which, for those of us raised in the middle of the forest [comparatively] is perhaps the strangest thing about the landscape. You keep having to tell yourself that this was all covered by water not that long ago, and all the forests are long gone. But it's like your utter lack of wilderness animals: it's just a natural effect of the history of your nation. Like Americans shooting each other a lot, you know.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote:Even New Jersey has fantastic woods. Weirdos. Perhaps it's because the Netherlands has no natural forests or woods at all.
Sure, if you like giant mutant trees that grow out of a toxic waste dump.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'd like to see more of northern California, as well as the Pacific Northwest, although the things I like about those areas are mostly present in Michigan, making it somewhat pointless. Overseas, I'd like to see Greece and East Germany, the latter being my choice for place to live if I don't have a desert island available.

But if I could only go one place, it would be a random tropical island with good beaches and lots of good coral reefs or other good diving opportunities. If I were god, I'd live on the island in Lost.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

So Waikiki, then. 'Cept maybe without the people.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Definitely without the people. One of my only two objections to Hawaii.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

3278 wrote:I'd like to see more of northern California, as well as the Pacific Northwest, although the things I like about those areas are mostly present in Michigan, making it somewhat pointless. Overseas, I'd like to see Greece and East Germany, the latter being my choice for place to live if I don't have a desert island available.

But if I could only go one place, it would be a random tropical island with good beaches and lots of good coral reefs or other good diving opportunities. If I were god, I'd live on the island in Lost.
East...Germany? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Weirdo. :)

But no, seriously, why the hell East Germany? People speak funny there, the place is crawling with skinheads and other assorted dipshits, and apart from a few cities like, say, Leipzig, all the towns are butt-ugly and run-down. So, what fascinates you about it? I'm kinda curious.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I'm going to guess the skinheads and the butt-ugly part. :D
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Toryu wrote:But no, seriously, why the hell East Germany?
Toryu wrote:...apart from a few cities like, say, Leipzig, all the towns are butt-ugly and run-down.
What you look for in a place to live and what I look for are radically different. I like East Germany because of its history, because so many people left when the wall came down, because it's half EU and half Eastern Europe, because it's dirty and industrial and the population is low and there are cities with almost no one living in them, and when 80 percent of the autobahn is restricted, the other 20 percent will all be in former East Germany because it's not packed completely full of people from one end to the other. The landscape is beautiful, the people not numerous, and the history fascinating.

And I'd be much closer to parts of Germany with, you know, people in them. I love the German national character, inasmuch as there is such a thing, and their order and their striving and their desperate need for direction. I like their women, and I love their cars. No longer would I have to live with a watered-down American BMW like the one I have now; I would be free to drive a bahn-eating monster, gulping down miles of roadway in a second...where derestriction is still in place, of course. I could drink real beer, everywhere I went. I'd have a great deal more daily female nudity in my life.

In truth, I have no way of knowing if I'd love East Germany or not. It's like northern California: the place stands as an emblem of something I desire, and is not necessarily the thing itself. But from all I know of myself and of the land, we are as one part: ugly, run-down. Empty.
jo_alex
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by jo_alex »

Japan. Ever since I've been to Tokyo last June I want to go back and see more. Plus I'd like to take a tour of Australia & New Zealand. I don't think that any of these will be mine next holiday destination, though.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Pft. PA kicks ass. I don't see you leaving. I think PA is hella pretty, especially driving across it, and the fall is fantastic. So many trees with pretty colors. Philly is very historic with a bunch of stuff to see.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Angel wrote:
Linah, why did you go during that time of the year? Was it especially expensive?

Well, Norway in general is stupid-expensive. We went in Sept because we went with my uncle. He picked the cities and when we went. Guess he didn't look into the northern lights thing.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Just out of curiosity, where did you go? :smokin
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

TLM wrote:Just out of curiosity, where did you go? :smokin

Me? I was in Tromsø and Oslo. (And we came over on a ferry.)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Liniah wrote:Pft. PA kicks ass. I don't see you leaving. I think PA is hella pretty, especially driving across it, and the fall is fantastic. So many trees with pretty colors. Philly is very historic with a bunch of stuff to see.
I'm sorry, you're automatically disqualified. You count as a silly furriner now. The fact that I'm a lazy fucking git doesn't mean I'm incorrect. ;)

Yes, Philly is full of history. Like firebombing their own city. :lol