Help finding an unknown dungeon-crawl game?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Help finding an unknown dungeon-crawl game?

Post by Moto42 »

Once upon a time I came across the most awesome dungeon-crawl game I had ever seen.
It had extremely basic graphics, randomly generated dungeons, a top-down perspective and Damn-near-everything.

The amount of fan-based stuff added to this game was incredible. From items to races to monsters too quests...

My favorite moment was when my Vampire fighter (worshiping the god of chaos) emerged triumphant from the depths of some dungeon, killed one more critter and leveled up. For his strength and valor his god looked upon him and rewarded him with a potent magical boon...
A permanent aura of daylight.

But now I can neither find this game, nor remember it's name. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Legend of the Red Dragon?
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Rogue? Alternatively, Nethack?

Probably not, but I thought it was cool, and you don't get any more basic graphics than that.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

Love those graphics. Oh crap, it's a capital U! Play them all night, then dream letters running around. My favourite was Ragnarok, though it is a step up, graphics wise. ADOM was good too.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
The Wolfen
Wuffle Master

Re: Help finding an unknown dungeon-crawl game?

Post by The Wolfen »

Moto42 wrote:My favorite moment was when my Vampire fighter (worshiping the god of chaos) emerged triumphant from the depths of some dungeon, killed one more critter and leveled up. For his strength and valor his god looked upon him and rewarded him with a potent magical boon...
A permanent aura of daylight.
I'm afraid I don't know the game you are talking about, but that was one of the funniest things I've read on the web in weeks! :D
Wolfen.

'My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton!' - Lazarus Churchyard.

"Cazmonster takes a moment out of sniping evil pengooins in the head to ponder the coolness of Wolfen on fire." - Caz
"Doesn't that hurt though? I mean I don't like it when people bite my arm pits" - LDH
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Found it!
ZangabandTK a graphical and interface upgrade to Zangaband, a variant of Angaband a rougelike dungeon crawler.

This game rocks in that "old school can tear the new school a new one when it really tries to" sortof way.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I wish I had a memory sufficient to relocate all the games I've ever enjoyed. It took me, like, three years to remember Eye of the Beholder. And there was a dungeon crawl game where you threw fireballs - and if you held down the button, could charge up for a massive fireball that could burn through walls and several enemies - and did little else that I used to play while other people were taking tests in computers class. [I chose not to take any tests. Or do anything else. Got 0 out of a possible 276 points for the semester.] But I'll never remember enough about it to find it again.