Firefly

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Firefly

Post by Marius »

Yeah, I'm watching it again. Mostly because it's terrible TV season. Also because Serenity's on trailers in the theater. Also because it's so incredibly good.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Saw the first three-quarters of the Man They Call Jayne episode on Friday. Not bad, but not awe-inspiring either. Might... no, won't catch it next week; I'll have company. But perhaps the week after.

I suppose I could just find a torrent, since the DVDs are out.
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

I spent two days watching all of the episodes, and the extra features footage. Loved the episodes, the extra features didn't really get me going. The movie looks great, and I am looking forward to seeing it.
Kick Rocks
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

In related news, I listened to UNKLE's Psyence Fiction album yesterday for the first time in years. Wow. Forgot how good the goods stuff on that album is.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

meh.... nothing special to see here...just move on to something better...
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*bows before Eva*

Forgive my ignorance, Imperious Leader, but how is that related?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*re-reads Eva's thread and slaps his forehead*

Der. Got it now.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

It's great. Make sure you watch them in the right order, though. Pilot first. Fox originally aired them kind of out of whack, as I recall.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Yeah, the order is important. There's a reason that Fox is the place that good shows go to die in infancy.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Does anyone think they'll be able to get a new season after the movie? Or two? Or more if possible, or is that a no no?
Kick Rocks
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

My guess is no, especially after seeing the bonus stuff from the DVD. Joss basically says that the series is dead, and hints at an "upcoming project" (aka: Serenity) that he feels will tie the story together nicely.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I think it is possible for the series to be resurrected. Although I also think that there is a strong argument for not bringing it back. Things never seem to be as strong or as good as they originally were. If it is brought back in series form, I think it would be a mere shadow of it's original. One of the reasons is that many of the people who made the original project have moved on to different things and made other commitments. Therefore, we would have different people working on the resurrected version, thereby creating a slightly different show.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Cash wrote:*re-reads Eva's thread and slaps his forehead*

Der. Got it now.
Really? It was a rather obscure reference to who introduced me to Firefly and to UNKLE. If you got that, you need to move out of my brain, man.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ahhhhh....I was referring to the title, Psyence Fiction.

Elle has a review of Serenity up on her lj.
</font>
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

JongWK wrote:Good to know we're ending this in Bulldrek style. :lol:

*Grabs Bulldrek's last post and runs away with it*

Mine! It's all mine!!!
No, this is bulldrek style.

PAGE-JACK!!!!
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.