Deep Throat revealed

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Deep Throat revealed

Post by JongWK »

Damn, I really wanted him to be someone like Kissinger. OTOH, Felt was in the right place to know everything.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Instead he was a FBI guy. Well well imagine that ... So how long before they'll start claiming it's all a conspiracy. BTW Whoever decided his name should be deep throat? They liked the movie or what ? :D
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Post by JongWK »

You never know what they were watching while writing their articles. ;)
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Well, I think the idea of an FBI guy being Deepthroat is grand. Shows that not all people in positions of power are completely subserviant to those above them, and certainly not when those above them are doing underhanded things.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Having a conversation with Stein would be fun:

"Surely political honesty is at the very core of a functional democracy, and carries just as much weight as policy differences."
"YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE A NO-GOOD COMMIE!!!"
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Nah, I suspect Ben is just a bit bitter about losing his job as Nixon's speech writer. ;) He's usually a fairly easy-going guy, I was just impressed with how completely vicious he was in condemning the whole thing. And he is right... Nixon did do a lot of very good things. Probably not in the best of ways, but he got things done.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Of course, one really has to consider Stein's position (already mentioned) and what the political atmosphere was before Watergate, which was that politicians at the federal level were a bickering bunch, but you could at least trust the President to be above it all. As Stein mentioned, Nixon was a liar, but here's the thing: before Watergate, nobody would've ever thought what they do about Presidents now.

And hell, it ain't like Felt was an informer for purely altruistic reasons, either. What I find somewhat amusing, actually, is that the ex-Nixon employees and Republicans (and if IIRC, Nixon was actually quite liberal by today's standards) are screaming bloody fucking murder and shit about karma, patriotism, and something about just rewards in the afterlife. I mean, if we're talking about shelf life here...
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Marius

Post by Marius »

IIRC, Nixon was actually quite liberal by today's standards
Eh, in much the same way the current president is too liberal for conservatives' liking, yes.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
BlackJack
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by BlackJack »

Crazy Elf wrote:Well, I think the idea of an FBI guy being Deepthroat is grand. Shows that not all people in positions of power are completely subserviant to those above them, and certainly not when those above them are doing underhanded things.
Nor are they above leaking info when they don't get the promotion they wanted. Like AK said Felt's motives were far from wanted to spread the truth. He could have spread the information to multiple sources, but he chose to remain hidden. He knew what he was doing wasn't kosher.

If he was worried about retribution there are laws to protect whistleblowers.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Yes, and there's also bullets to help whistleblowers remember who they were blowing in the first place. Motive or no, keeping in the shadows probably wasn't such a bad idea.
BlackJack
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by BlackJack »

Crazy Elf wrote:Yes, and there's also bullets to help whistleblowers remember who they were blowing in the first place. Motive or no, keeping in the shadows probably wasn't such a bad idea.
Yep, just ask Vince Foster.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Dead is dead, and there ain't much more to say.