Crazy Probability Math stuff

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Crazy Probability Math stuff

Post by Kwyndig »

Okay, so I'm kinda designing my own role playing game, and I've got an idea for a dice mechanic, but, I don't know how the probabilities will work out. As experience has shown me (most notedly while playing role-under systems like Tri-Stat) that NOT knowing the probabilities of certain die roles is a hazard of game (or character) design and I don't know enough about statistics and probability, so I turn to the Bulldrek crowd for help.

Now, this part might be a little complicated (and is well beyond my limited experience in the field), but here goes. I'm currently looking at a 2d8 roll-over variable target number system with unusually exploding dice (I may ditch this part and just stick with regular exploding dice if my players can't grasp the idea) where, if you roll any number twice, say the dice are 1,1 or 3,3 for example, they 'explode' and you roll again, continuing as long as both dice end up the same number as the first roll. Of course, for all I know I've just described somebody else's die mechanic...
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Well, let's see. 2d8, added together, gives you possible values of 3 to 15, plus the 1-in-8 chance of an "explosion." The difficulty lies in your target numbers...numbers under 15 will be easier to roll, but numbers higher than 15 might well be impossible since you require an "explosion" to get you over the hump. See what I mean?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm not really useful in helping you build a game mechanic, and to be honest, I'm also not really interested in the game mechanics. However, once you've figured that out, could you perhaps tell us all a little something about the game?
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Szech: Quite right, I was thinking about the fact there were eight possible explosions. Aargh.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

No, the chance of any explosion is 1/8. It's 1/64 for a double, but since there are 8 doubles that's 8/64 chance of any double, which is 1/8 again.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Right. There are 64 total combinations that can be rolled. Of those, 8 will show the same number on die #1 and die #2. Of course, with trying to match a certain target number, the higher end explosions are going to be much more useful than an explosion of 1's.
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

The problem I have with static numbers of dice (like /always/ rolling 2d8) is you run into the problem that comes with d20 -- That is, your skill becomes irrelevant, you rely wholy on the luck of the dice.
Dicepools eliminate this problem by exponentially decreasing your chance of failure as your skill increases.

That's just something to consider.
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Coasini wrote:The problem I have with static numbers of dice (like /always/ rolling 2d8) is you run into the problem that comes with d20 -- That is, your skill becomes irrelevant, you rely wholy on the luck of the dice.
Dicepools eliminate this problem by exponentially decreasing your chance of failure as your skill increases.

That's just something to consider.
Actually, in high level D&D, the die roll becomes meaningless as the level of bonuses, skills, etc. exceed +20. But I prefer static die systems over dice pools because of the 'buckets of dice' syndrome.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

So use a smaller number of dice -- 1 to 5, for example.

And yes, in D&D there does come to be a point where the roll becomes meaningless. I never played high level campaigns of that because they made me ill.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

I haven't thought through the full probability curve, because I think it's probably a really odd shape. But at the bottom end it's worth noting: the lowest possible Target Number is 4 (3 being the lowest possible roll, which ought to be a failure). You will only fail a TN 4 task 1 in 32 times. TN 5 fails 1 in 16 times, 6 fails 129 times in 1024 (12.6%), 7 fails 162 in 1024 (15.8%), 8 fails at 17.1% (the denominator of this fraction is 6 digits). Looks like with increases in target number, it doesn't get too much harder to complete a task (provided I'm doing math reasonably well, which is doubtful). That probably changes, though, when you get above 9, which is the peak of the normal curve for 2d8, and where you start getting more significant chances of success in explosion.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.