It's that time again: Music!

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Mostly rock & metal, particularly a British metal band by the name of The Misguided. Also, stuff like Nine Inch Nails - Closer. Basically, anything loud with a thudding bassline that'll get me out of the musical mode.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Ravel String Quartet as played by the Emerson String Quartet.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, and that new Rob Thomas track. Rarr.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
BlackJack
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by BlackJack »

Super Eurobeat, electronica, dance stuff, funny because I don't dance.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Strange Question:
In the song Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie, there is a spoken line throughout. It's the voice of a woman saying "What are you thinking about?" followed by a more male voice. I can't tell if the male voice is saying "Kissing you" or "Pissing you off" and was wondering if anyone could figure it out. It's not on any of the lyric sites.
And yes, that's one more song that I'm listening to.
"Drop it, you pervert!"
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

The Proclaimers, and some Irish hip-hop band that broke up a few years ago.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Hip Hop? Don't you mean Pop? I mean I only have that one album of theirs, the whole I'd walk 500 miles thing, but they do hip hop?
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

The Proclaimers are Scottish and don't do hip-hop. Lately, Irish hip-hop has been starting up again, so I decided to try some. Cannae recall the name, however, have tae check the CD.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Queens of the Stone Age (new album out today) and Chevelle, mostly. Also Miles Davis Kind of Blue, the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack, Erik Truffaz, A Perfect Circle... Lots of different stuff.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Nigga JP
Bulldrekker

Post by Nigga JP »

Mainly just autechre... lots and lots of it.
Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks - lick on these balls and suck the dick
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Raygun wrote:Also Miles Davis Kind of Blue
A Winnar Is You!
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

:) That and Blue Train, too.

You heard Erik Truffaz? French trumpet player, in a quartet usually with drums, bass and a Rhodes. Modern jazz. If you like Miles, you might like him, too. Good stuff.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Pretty fucking diverse on my end:

John Coltrane - Blue Train (Funny, seems everyone's listening to that in some form)
Mozart - Slazburg Symphonies and Piano Concertos
Bach - Violin Sonatas and Partitas
Beethoven - Symphonies (4 and 7)
Rollins Band - Life Time (two good tracks: "Turned Out" and "Move Right In". The second is only on the recent release, but it's damn good)
Boss Hog (Self titled)
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer

On top of that some Pantera and Public Enemy, as well as a little Arrested Development, but only a little of each.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Nigga JP wrote:Mainly just autechre... lots and lots of it.
Have a link? Or can you clue me in?
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Rock, Metal, Goth, Chinese Orchestra, some comedy bits, industrial, classic rock, 80's hits, techno, trance.

That is over the last week or so.

Though I have been listening to Behind the Scenes a lot again. I get all nostalgic with that.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

http://www.digitallyimported.com/aacplus/hardtrance.pls

Back to the main page with ya if you use Media Player of want something different. Hard Trance has been the best for me recently, though. Euro Dance is on and off, Hard Core requires a certain mood, and I haven't checked out the House channels much yet.

I also feel really old now as the last time I listened to DI, there were no channels, it was just Digitally Imported Radio, this streaming audio Trance channel :7

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

anything metal, but mostly Metallica, drowning pool, and disturbed.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If its one thing I learned from Ghostbusters, its that we never cross the streams.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

The Village People, specifically Macho Man.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Videogame music and remix's therof lately. Especialy anything that is or once was from the Metroid, Silent Hill, or Syndicate series.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Johnny the Bull wrote:The Village People, specifically Macho Man.
Fuck that's a great song. I like that The Village People, a blatantly homosexual band, can get a bunch of hetrosexual guys dancing every time without fail.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Crazy Elf wrote:
Johnny the Bull wrote:The Village People, specifically Macho Man.
Fuck that's a great song. I like that The Village People, a blatantly homosexual band, can get a bunch of hetrosexual guys dancing every time without fail.
Yeah, fucking kareoke got me going something fierce. Ended up going through most of their stuff. So fucking camp, so fucking good.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Currently listening to Morcheeba, Joni Mitchell and Jane's Addiction. Also some Webern and Liszt.
Grifter
Tasty Human

Post by Grifter »

Midnight Syndicate, Brian Eno's On Land, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway. All for the CoC-game I plan to run tonight.
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

Toto, "Africa"

Helmet's Greatest Hits Album.

Queen, "Somebody to Love"

Paul Simon, "Call Me Al"
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

Every Cheiftains CD ever....starting the week of St Pat's and still going...plus some Soul COughing and TMBG on the side...plus I went to the club last night and danced Goth/Industrial all last night
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

NIN. Kinda. It's really rather ridiculous. :crack
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

Listening to math rock, AKA Rush.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, LDH is Chewbacca, Kitt is Obi Wan Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Sock_Monkey wrote:Listening to math rock, AKA Rush.
One of my favorites, too. Kind of nice to have a band with a long history like that. Lots of different sounds from different periods. 76-82 is their best stuff, IMO.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Ancient History wrote:The Proclaimers are Scottish and don't do hip-hop. Lately, Irish hip-hop has been starting up again, so I decided to try some. Cannae recall the name, however, have tae check the CD.
Actual Irish hip-hop? Or do you mean House of Pain-Irish hip-hop?
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

Raygun wrote:
Sock_Monkey wrote:Listening to math rock, AKA Rush.
One of my favorites, too. Kind of nice to have a band with a long history like that. Lots of different sounds from different periods. 76-82 is their best stuff, IMO.
More specifically I've been into their newest one Vapour Trails. The Drum solo at the beginning of One Little Victory flat out rocks. The title track is also most excellent along with Earthshine. The thing I love about Rush is their music isn't your typical love song which pervades most other bands stuff.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, LDH is Chewbacca, Kitt is Obi Wan Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Sock_Monkey wrote:More specifically I've been into their newest one Vapour Trails. The Drum solo at the beginning of One Little Victory flat out rocks.
Yeah, it's pretty friggin' cool. Especially since that album was their "back in business" thing after what had happened to Peart, it was good to hear him go balls out on the opening track.

That bit is also pretty similar to the double-bass breakdown in the chorus of Test For Echo, except that it's straight 4/4 in One Little Victory, rather than having notes dropped in funny places (4/4, 3/4; 4/4, 4/4; 4/4, 3/4; 4/4, 3/4). I kind of ripped off that double bass thing in one of the songs my band did because it was so cool and it fit our song perfectly. Really fun to play.
The title track is also most excellent along with Earthshine.
Yeah, that is a particularly good one, in fact, I would say that Earthshine is probably my favorite song on that album. I also like how vocal harmonies are pretty much used in place of keyboards on that album, especially in the pre-chorus of Earthshine. In fact, the only bit of keys I can remember in that album is real subtle, in the chorus of Freeze.
The thing I love about Rush is their music isn't your typical love song which pervades most other bands stuff.
Yeah. It's thinking man's rock, from song structure to lyrical content. But it doesn't go so far to the technical side to drown the music in ego and shitty lyrics, like you tend to get with other bands classified as "progressive rock". In fact, they're the only band I've found in the genre that I can really listen to for any extended period of time.

From what I understand, they're in the studio now, so we ought to have a new album by next fall or winter.
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

Kitt wrote:Strange Question:
In the song Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie, there is a spoken line throughout. It's the voice of a woman saying "What are you thinking about?" followed by a more male voice. I can't tell if the male voice is saying "Kissing you" or "Pissing you off" and was wondering if anyone could figure it out. It's not on any of the lyric sites.
My version says 'What are you thinking about?' followed by 'Si senor' (spanish)
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

YEAH!! More RUSH fans! It can safely be assumed that I listen to Rush at least once a day...if not once an hour when not asleep....

It's really the only band I can think of where letting the drummer write most of its songs is a good idea :D Only gotten to see em 3 times in concert though

Right now I'm listening to alot of Roll the Bones...especially Dreamline. That song is great all around... I still have a few CDs to go buy though...though I have the rest of the albums on tape still. Always good to hear that they are back in the studio!
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

That remix of Henry Rollins' "I Know You", the one with the lyrics that start, "I know you. You were too short. You had bad skin."

Enya, to remind me that I'm trying to write a CHARACTER's homicidal rage and isolation, and not mine.

Adiemus, because it sounds pretty.

Conjure One, just because; Indigo Girls, ditto.
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Caine Hazen wrote:YEAH!! More RUSH fans! It can safely be assumed that I listen to Rush at least once a day...if not once an hour when not asleep....

It's really the only band I can think of where letting the drummer write most of its songs is a good idea :D
Did you ever hear Geddy Lee's solo album (came out in 2000)? It really shows how integral he is to Rush. If they never made another album together again, at least I wouldn't go into complete withdrawls so long as Geddy was doing his thing. I would call him the main songwriter, though Peart does write the vast majority of the lyrics. Victor (Alex's solo project) wasn't nearly as good, IMO. It had a couple of good songs, but it was kind of all-over-the-place.
Right now I'm listening to alot of Roll the Bones...especially Dreamline. That song is great all around...
Yeah, it is. Bravado, Leave That Thing Alone and The Big Wheel are also very good ones on that album. But Roll the Bones just makes me cringe. I have to skip over it out of sheer embarassment of how lame it is.

My truck doesn't have a CD player, so I have a tape that I made way back in the day that is in there a lot, with Roll the Bones on one side and Signals on the other. Nine years between those albums, and they sound very different. A good contrast between the two. I have to say that overall, Signals is probably my favorite album of theirs. Digital Man is just the shit. And Subdivisions and Analog Kid and Losing It... Awesome album.
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

Speaking of solo projects did you ever check out Peart's Burning for Buddy tribute album? You can really appreciate how talented he is even when restricted to the simpler drumset as opposed to God's own drumset he usually uses. Of course to enjoy it you have to like big band jazz as well, but if you're a fan of Peart's I strongly urge you to check it out - which reminds me I should slot it again soon...
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

No, I haven't heard the Burning For Buddy albums, unfortunately. But a long time ago I saw the video from the concert they put together, where he played One O'Clock Jump. When it came out I really wasn't all that interested in big band music. I would probably appreciate it a lot more now.

Speaking of big band stuff.. Peart's drum solo from the Vapor Trails tour (and probably the 30th tour, too), the big band bit he plays along with at the end of it, that's probably the most awesome thing I've ever heard him do, along with that excessively cool pattern from Scars he's had in the solo since the Test For Echo tour, I think. He got a Grammy nomination for that, as well he should have. Too bad he didn't win.
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

The stage show bit after the intermission that fires off (litterally) One Little Victory is pretty friggin' cool if you got to see it too. Was the first Rush concert I ever got to see, since they seem to have something against touring in Canada. Cool part: It was Niel Peart's birthday Sept 12th.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

No kidding. Why the hell don't they go to Calgary? It's a pretty big market (not to mention the closest major city to me). I don't get it.

Edit: Heh! I was looking at the tour dates and it looks like you were at their last Calgary show! Too bad I missed it.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Coasini wrote:
Ok....but why would anyone answer "What are you thinking about" with "Yes sir"?
"Drop it, you pervert!"
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

Kitt wrote:
Coasini wrote:
Ok....but why would anyone answer "What are you thinking about" with "Yes sir"?
Rob Zombie > Logic