Fearful Things

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Fearful Things

Post by MissTeja »

So to make a long-story short, my older sis (the one who works in Hollywood) has been requested to do a script. (This is a HUGE step in her career.) In part for her mass amounts of research she'll be doing, she has asked if I could please poll some people I know, particularly those in the age range of 18-28 (approximately). There have been similar threads in the past examining fears, but I'm compiling this list new, since there's a couple other bits of information I need from those willing to answer my request.

Two things:

First - what is your greatest, most deep-seeded fear? Nuclear Holocaust? Death of a significant other, parent, sibling, self? Heights? Dark? Enclosed Spaces? Aliens coming to Earth hostile? Big bodies of water? Clowns? Losing limbs? Getting a terminal disease? (These are just examples. Please feel free to list anything.)
If you wish to give a brief explanation of what specific aspect of it makes you fear it, feel free. Please be honest. If it's something you are embarassed of, though, feel totally free to email me instead. (Link in profile)

Second - Names are not being recorded, but if you would be willing to add any of your demographic information, that is also appreciated. Sex, Age, Race, Career, Location, etc. Don't go hog-wild, but just a couple basics would be much appreciated.

For example:
Personally, as I've been slowly overcoming my fear of heights, the two following ones of a fear of swords or other sharp knife-like items, as well as fearing the loss of one of my siblings to whom I am very close to, are the two that top my list. I am a 24 year old, caucasian, female student from Michigan, USA.

Massive thanks to all who post.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Replied in your lj.

Oh, and congrats to your sis!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

I have a fear of open water. Guess I've seen Jaws too many times. I'll still go in, but I've never been completely comfortable.

Asian male, 29 years of age. Cleveland, OH...teacher/bar manager.
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Greatest Fear(s): Losing control of my faculties; followed by death of family members.

White male, 22, college student, Tampa, FLorida-da

Kudos to your sister.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Needles.

White male, college student, 19.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Brineshrimp wrote:I have a fear of open water. Guess I've seen Jaws too many times. I'll still go in, but I've never been completely comfortable.

Asian male, 29 years of age. Cleveland, OH...teacher/bar manager.
I'll agree to that one, but spiders are still number one for me in creepiness/fear. I still haven't bought Return of the King and I gotta say that Shelob is part of the reason. Jackson put all the wrongness of spiders in one package.

Caucasian male, 28 years old, raised in Virginia
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Deep water that I can't see the bottom of while underneath it. I don't fear it, but it unsettles me. That's as close as I have to a fear.
BlackJack
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by BlackJack »

#1) Spiders. I can't stand spiders, the bigger they are the worse it is. I have creepy nightmares of big ass spiders crawling all over me.

#2) This is going to take some effort to explain. When my sister started college I was worried something would happen to her. She was a wild child, and I figured some drunken jerkass would try something. I think for the most part she could take care of herself, but she's the type to make things escalate rather than walk away with some humiliation.

Now we get to the meat of the problem. I was afraid of what I would do if anything happened to her. When I was younger I bounced another kid's head off of a brick wall because he pushed my sister and she hurt her hand. I have a bad temper and a short fuse, I'm honestly afraid of what I would do to the guy. In general domestic violence is one of my hot buttons, it short circuits all my patience. If it was my little sister I have a bad feeling that my response would be swift, painful and terminal.

Male, caucasian, 27, graduate student, Florida
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Biggest fear is losing somebody close to me. My son, my parents, siblings, close friends. I'm too darn mushy.

Only other fear is trees at high speeds. :P

27 year old male, Caucasian, Michigan U.S.A.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

Malicious ghosts raise the hair of my arms. Evil spirits. Etheral half rotten corpses risen from the dead to haunt my dark hours...that sort of thing.

The thought of losing my family is the stuff that feels my stomach with lead.

28, whiter than Adam, in the Netherlands.

Way to go your sis!
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

1) Going crazy without realising it.
2) Male, 26, Caucasian, Software Engineer, The Netherlands
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Bishop wrote:Only other fear is trees at high speeds. :P
Shouldn't the trees be afraid of *you*?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

DV8 wrote:Going crazy without realising it.
Got any banaarnaars? :roll
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

Fears eh?

1) Airplanes. They combine my next two fears in once evil package.

2) Heights. Me and heights have never, ever been friends. Probably due to all the falling off of high things as a little kid and the whole being pushed off of a 50 ft. cliff when I wasn't ready during a repelling expidition with my school when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

3) Tiny, tiny spaces. I hates them. Being trapped in some tiny llttle box scares the crap out of me. I don't know why.

4) Snakes off and on. I say off and on because most of the time I actually like snakes and I will handle/play with them. Every once and a while though I'm gripped by an uncomprehensible fear of them.

21 year old male, White because I don't like the word Caucasian :D, Iowa City, Iowa. Part-time Librarian and full-time Student.

Hope that'll help. And no using my fears against me in the plotting of my demise. That's just not fair. :D
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
BlackJack
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by BlackJack »

I forgot one, a big one. I'm scared out of my mind that I might have or might at somepoint in the future make a seemingly small mistake that has huge consequences. I'm sitting here watching engineering disasters on the History Channel, and see another engineer (whom I've met) who was held responsible for the KC Hyatt walkway failure. He lost his PE license.

I haven't done anything on that scale, but there are aircraft out there with parts made on my say so, and based on my designs. In the back of my mind is the fear that one day an aircraft will crash and it will be because some small tie rod or door locking bar failed. And because it was a small part it was assumed to be designed right, but wasn't, and it's one of my designs.

male, 27, caucasian, grad student, Florida
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Wow, that's a good one.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Mediocrity.
edit: Discovered this today. Being sucked out of a plane at altitude.
Male, age 20, undergrad student, NB Canada.
Last edited by Szechuan on Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

Greatest Fear: Not meeting a deadline. (No, I'm serious. I will stay up for nights on end, freaking out in order to meet even an impossible deadline.)

22, Male, Orlando FL. Programmer.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

My biggest fear is not being able to do something about a violent situation or disaster. Usually, this fear represents me being held against my will and forced to watch something terrible happen (violent situation), or by the nature of what's happening, I am unable to help (disaster, people trapped in a burning car, etc). This is about the only thing I fear.

White male, age 30, police officer, Lansing, MI.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Heights make me horribly queasy, but I can handle them. What makes me go irrational is small children (especially my own) combined with heights. We were at a campground and climbed to the top of the observation tower (probably about 60 feet up), and all that kept you safe at the top was a waist-high railing running around the perimeter. My two older boys were up there with me, and while I was nervous, I was not worried. But then my brother-in-law carries his two-year-old to the rail and leans over to look down. I fuckin' flipped. I all I could see were horrible visions of Caleb choosing that moment to twist around or panic or something and go slipping over the rail to the rocks and river below.

My stomach is doing serious flips just having to type this out.

34 year old white male. Married, 3 kids. Nebraska, USA.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

I have a deep seated fear of being atop of water, bridges, docks, boats, all bring out this fear. I try my damndest to beat this fear but have found that even walking the deck of the QEII left me with bleeding palms and white knuckles. Put me in a diving mask, and let me get below the surface of the water and all fear disipates in a wash of wonder. I was told it has to do with being tossed out of a boat and nearly drowning at about the age of 3. My stepfather who dove in after me spent something like 5 mins trying to find me. Though that was never actually confirmed. He said that he found me by the lit flashlight tied around my waist as I lay on the bottom of the lake. We had been night fishing when a cabin cruiser went by too close tipping the boat way up onto its side in the wake. My life preserver which was ill fitting had slipped up over my head and off. It wasn't until I got into my 20's before I would even get into another boat. And that took ALOT of vodka before I even tried it.

Male, middle 30's very mixed nationality.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Vralkie
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Vralkie »

not coming down...

I've had some of the WORST trips that I've ever heard of.

One time the universe turned into a monolithic segmented serated "popcan". This thing then proceeded to slowly (painfully) grind me into 2 dimentionalness (sp?) Following that I spent an undetermined length of time viewing "everything" from the pov of the skin of a giant rotating "everything".

Another time I got stuck in a localized time dialation. The same ten minutes repeating over and over again for 6 hours or so. Problem was that I couldn't remember the previous ten minutes that came before it. The time dialation didn't end until I forced myself to throw up. I had eaten some tai food earlier, and washed it down with entirely too many vampires.... Throwing up red/chunky shit while tripping "somehow" got interpreted by my subcontious (sp?) as blood and innards, but was still preferable to the time dialation....

For some reason I wasn't able to sleep for 2 1/2 days after watching season 6 episode 9/10 (can't remember the number exactly, the one where her life [for the past 7 years] was a delusion and she's actually in an asylum)

I still sometimes wake up in a cold sweat convinced that the orange-peel and toothpaste combo in juvie' never wore off....

Occupation: GIS Technician, Cosmetology student in a month or two
Decent: Sweed (white)

---
--
Steve- "...well, you've either had wayyyy too much, or not nearly enough"
[Vralkie]- "There's only one that we can do anything about, so here goes..."
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

I don't really have any fears that I am aware of. The closest thing would probably be the brief panic attacks I get when I dive in water, even if it's just a few meters down. Something about not being able to just open my mouth and breathe just doesn't seem right. I love swimming and I'm a decent swimmer, so it's pretty silly, really.

And, honestly, the first time I saw Michael Jackson's video for Thriller I was scared shitless.

Very white male, 29 years old, Denmark, lazy student.
\m/
Nigga JP
Bulldrekker

Post by Nigga JP »

Fear: Drug addiction or codependency. I also have this really weird phobia of crabs, especially these fucking huge Japanese ones in Chicago.

Male, 23, blacker than midnight on Broadway and Myrtle, Q.A. Engineer, couple doors down from you
Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks - lick on these balls and suck the dick
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Van Der Litreb wrote:And, honestly, the first time I saw Michael Jackson's video for Thriller I was scared shitless.
So was I, but I was a child at the time....

ok, that joke sucks, but it had to be made.[/i]
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

WillyGilligan wrote:
Van Der Litreb wrote:And, honestly, the first time I saw Michael Jackson's video for Thriller I was scared shitless.
So was I, but I was a child at the time.....
Have you seen Veed now? Shortest motherfucker I know. He is the size of a small child. :D
</font>
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting a growth spurt before I hit 30. :cute
\m/