Family friendly?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Family friendly?

Post by Serious Paul »

A lot of places for a long time advertised as family friendly. It seemes that trend is reversing a little.

What steps do yuo think should be required for a business to take to be accessible for familys? Does family friendly equal more money?
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

I would say it costs more for kid friendly, usually because they have seperate child sized dishes and glasses, as well as things to help occupy the brats.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

I imagine that the profitability of family-friendliness depends on the type of business. A burger joint can expect a fair proportion of its clientele to be children, so it has greater ability to profit, and therefore more incentive, to be family-friendly than, say, a fancy restaurant.

Are we only talking about the food industry here, or something more widespread?
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

A lot of places for a long time advertised as family friendly. It seemes that trend is reversing a little.
Probably cause there is more profit in (non sexual) "Adult Fun". They have money to spend since they don't have to pay for all them things that kids needs etc.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

We spend more money on our kids than on us, especially as far as entertainment goes.

We used to go to a place near us that had toys, and a little cleared area, once or twice a week. When it changed hands, the new owner put 2 tables in that space, and we stopped going there. The two extra tables netted him more than our custom did, I'm sure.

OTOH, the indoor play place, that serves coffee and cake, does a huge business.

There is a market for family places, and a market for adult-focussed places. A lot of adults don't like having kids around. Our Western cultures are not very kid-friendly, generally. So there seemd to be a need for that kind of establishment, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Now maybe it is settling down a little.

Fanily friendly places should have kids menus, or kid friendly menus, gimmick to entertain kids (my favourite restaurant as a kid had a huge barrel of unshelled peanuts you could help yourself to), tables not packed too close, and a tolerant atmosphere.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

My wife and I quite often have no choice in whether we have to take our children with us. Its not that we want to, we simplely have no choice.

Whether it be the supermarket, to the gym or a dining establishment. Quite often we're met with resentment not only from the staff, but other customers. It's quite often annoying to be treated like we're second class cutomers, when in all likelyhood we spend as much if not more than every other customer in our immediate vicinty.( I know we often tip upwards of thirty percent...)

I've had people make rude comments about my children even when they have been on their best behavior, which actually is quite often. we even make a point of not staying if they are being excessively loud and/or "bad".

My local gym has started to come down on people having their kids there, and I'm just sort of frustrated. Its hard not to take the kids with me.
Kick Rocks
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Did you think it would be this hard when you decided to have children, Paul?
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Yes and no. In some ways I expected people at restraraunts to be unforgiving, having seen that sort of behavior from people before when I didn't have kids. (I should note it isn't really something I have shared, I tend to be very forgiving of children.)

But no I wasn't prepared, are we ever really prepared?:)
Kick Rocks
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

My local gym has started to come down on people having their kids there
Now that's just retarded. The most common thing people look for when they scout for a gym, is a playroom (or something) for their kids.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Gunny wrote:Now that's just retarded. The most common thing people look for when they scout for a gym, is a playroom (or something) for their kids.
Really? I thought it was hot babes in spandex ...
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

A lot of people seem to have made up their minds that kids will make trouble, and it doesn't mattter if your kid is behaving or not, they will still want them gone. It's a kind of prejudice.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I don't mind well behaved kids too much, but sometimes they get rambunctious no matter what the parents do. Some are courteous and leave, many aren't. Then there's the parents who don't control their brats at all. I stopped going to some places where I liked the food because of their emphasis on family friendly due to the number of kids running around.

So in the end people do have a prejudice about people bringing their kids. Namely single people like me or partners who don't have kids, or even parents who want a night off from the kids.

I think it all boils down to people not training their kids right, or being respectful of those around them. And I guess the folks I mentioned above have more to spend than people who want to go out with their kids or something.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Gunny wrote:
Now that's just retarded. The most common thing people look for when they scout for a gym, is a playroom (or something) for their kids.
Yes, and not all gyms have playrooms or daycare.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Gunny wrote:
And our gym has a playroom. When Paul says they're coming down on people having their kids there, what he really means is that they have asked him not to have his kids there /without supervision,/ which has been a rule since day one. Early on, they didn't enforce it, but there were several times when his kids left the playroom, and for legal and financial reasons, they simply cannot allow that, not only for Paul's kids, but for all the other people who might bring children in unsupervised.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

3278 wrote:
Gunny wrote:
And our gym has a playroom. When Paul says they're coming down on people having their kids there, what he really means is that they have asked him not to have his kids there /without supervision,/ which has been a rule since day one. Early on, they didn't enforce it, but there were several times when his kids left the playroom, and for legal and financial reasons, they simply cannot allow that, not only for Paul's kids, but for all the other people who might bring children in unsupervised.

If you're gym is coming down on you for you letting your kids go play unsupervised when that is against their policy, that's totally understandable. Have you considered going to a gym that offers childcare? When I worked at the Y, we provided free child care to adults who went to the gym or any classes. (However, we would not tolerate them dropping their kids off at the play area and then going to the gym. The kids had to be signed in at the babysitting room.) Do you leave your kids unattended?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Why can't the kids just be pumping iron with big daddy? They could be the buffest kids in kindergarten or whatever they attend :D
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

I agree with lorg.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

And think, when the ninja come to slay your heirs, they could just chop those ninja in half. Don't forget the benefit of being able to headbutt all the goth kids later.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

lorg wrote:They could be the buffest kids in kindergarten or whatever they attend
You mean like him?
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

I went with some people to a nice brunch last sunday, to a place that isn't "family friendly", it's beyond freaking expensive and snooty. Here we were sitting there enjoying the brunch and on the other side of the room was a younger couple (30ish) with two little girls, the parents didn't care that the little girls were walking around the place, knocking these from various tables, and eating (with their fingers) from a cart.

I'm so glad that Viennese hate children, it makes life easier, parents leave their maggots at home.

Sure SOME children are wonderful, but most suck donky snot.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten