MP3 websites

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

MP3 websites

Post by Angel »

I stay away from downloading via file-sharing networks (kazaa, edonkey, etc.) and eventually found my way to websites that host or catalogue mp3 files, a couple in particular have recently caught my attention because of their size.

Russia apparently has some very relaxed copy-right laws, right?

Now for my question, if anyone know of the types of sites I am referring to, what does the person maintaining these sites have to gain by hosting (and providing for download) in excess of 300,000 mp3 files/per site? The bandiwdth must cost a fortune, and I never see pop-up ads (admittedly, I use Opera and Zone Alarm, so no pop-ups), and I has not once seen advertisements on the big sites I tend to use. So what is the purpose for providing such sites?
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

While I know this is not true, it is a fun idea:

RIAA Lawyers set up an MP3 website. They wait for big sharks to bite, then they sue, and pay for the site with the settlement.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Careful Angel, I've been to a mess of Russian MP3 sites and they like to install spyware as well as adware without your consent. All you have to do is attempt to download a song, regardless if you succeed or not.

It's not just Russian MP3 sites that do this either, so be VERY attentive to your computer's Task Manager if you try it. If you see an exe running that you don't recognise, Google it.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Gunny wrote:Careful Angel, I've been to a mess of Russian MP3 sites and they like to install spyware as well as adware without your consent. All you have to do is attempt to download a song, regardless if you succeed or not.

It's not just Russian MP3 sites that do this either, so be VERY attentive to your computer's Task Manager if you try it. If you see an exe running that you don't recognise, Google it.
Thanks for the info (sincerely), but (there's always a but, right?) I have that part covered entirely. Not only do I use a safe browser/file manager, I have Zone Alarm PRO (bought and paid for, and set at the max security settings), and I clean my computer regularly (at least twice a day) with a couple of programs. Not to mention I have an Uber-paranoid-computergeek-friend who keeps everything up to date.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Gunny wrote:Careful Angel, I've been to a mess of Russian MP3 sites and they like to install spyware as well as adware without your consent. All you have to do is attempt to download a song, regardless if you succeed or not.

Get rid of MS Virtual Machine and install Sun Java and you won't have to worry about it. Unless you click "yes" to a prompt asking to install something.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Kryzn
Tasty Human

Post by Kryzn »

Actually, my experience with those Russian Sites has been quite positive. In particular, allofmp3.com seems pretty decent. You have to pay a little ( I think one cent per megabyte) but it certainly beats Kazza when it comes to downloading albums with proper ID Tags , and getting all songs of an album. Plus I get really good download rates there ( about 200-300 k per second) as oposed to Kazza ( but then again, my school throttles file-shareing networks, so that may be the reason). I was a bit hesitant about giving out my credit card info, but I have a "special online" card just for those ocasions. And so far, no harm has come to my bank account. Oh, and google didn't show any major fraud warnings either.

So I suppose lax russian copyright laws- plus high price differentials actually allow these sites to turn a profit. At least this one has been around for about 4 years by now , so there must be something in it for them.

On that note, any good recomendations on what Music to look into ? I am trying to branch out , and you know, culture myself and all that.

So long
Back to lurking
<br>
Do not doubt those who fear, fear those that do not doubt.