[Middle East] Yasser Arafat looks to be a goner.

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

[Middle East] Yasser Arafat looks to be a goner.

Post by Serious Paul »

So Yasser Arafat is pretty much history at this point, it seems. So do we think this will help the peace process, or do we think it will harm overall relations?

Apparently the Palestinian's are pretty damn afraid to even announce he's anything but okay.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I'm not impressed yet. The Chinese managed a hell of a lot longer on worse pretenses than "He's not in a coma! Really!"
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

This is where things either turn the corner or go to hell in the express lift- there's is the third option of little real change but that's pretty much unlikely in my opinion.

Best outcome is that the leadership falls to someone younger and a little more open to negotiation that cleans up the corruption of the Palestinian Authority, the worst is that there's a power struggle between internal factions and Israel decides to take advantage of the situation and ditch the Roadmap altogether.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Shades of Francisco Franco, anyone?
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Re: [Middle East] Yasser Arafat looks to be a goner.

Post by mrmooky »

The worst outcome is that the fundies of Hamas, rather than the secularits of Fatah, will seize the reins of power. And that's still a very live possibility.
Serious Paul wrote:So do we think this will help the peace process, or do we think it will harm overall relations?
In the immediate term, it will be bad. Arafat will cause a bigger headache for Sharon in death than he ever did in life. The Palestinian leadership wants his body to be buried in Jerusalem. If Israel lets him be buried there, it will be one more reason for the Palestinians to argue that they have a legitimate claim to the city, or part of it; this will be seen by many Israelis as a concession and a sign of weakness on Sharon's part. If Israel doesn't let him be buried there, it will be seen by many Palestinians and others as a final cruel insult to a revered Palestinian leader by a smug, petty and callous nation with no sense of basic human decency. Either way, Sharon's image at home or abroad is going to be seriously damaged by his decision. Ultimately, he will have to decide between the interests of his government and the interests of his nation - and I'm not sure which he'll choose.

In the long term, the effects of Arafat's passing are uncertain. It all depends on which individual or group replaces him, what their politics are and how willing they are to play ball with Israel. The ultimate outcome could be anything from an improvement to a total descent into chaos and bloodshed.

That said, I'm not willing to write Arafat off just yet. People like him have a tendency to hang on despite what everyone expects.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

He should agree, as humbly low key as possible, to allow Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem. Then, sadly, Arafat's return flight from France should experience "technical failure" and crash into the Mediterranian.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

The way the French are feeling about Israel at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if the return flight got "hijacked" by "terrorists" and flown into the Knesset. All in all, it would be a fitting farewell for the man.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

They are talking about some blood disease or even poisoning. Personally I always thought that Arafat had alzheimers or something similar concidering how bad his body controll have been durring the last couple or years in his appearances as his hands have been shaking involuntary, or experienced slight tremors if you will.

Naturally it will be interesting to see who they choose. If someone close to say Hamas of Islamic Jihad or some other organization like that then the peace process could be more or less dead.

This whole where the man should be burried issue is interesting thou. He has always wanted to or expressed a desire to be burried in Jerusalem (after all half the city was theirs several decades ago). But at the same time his family is burried in Gaza I think it was (his dad etc).

Personally if I was Sharon I would let them burry the guy in Jerusalem. A nice gesture if nothing else. If they don't get to burry him there that will become yet another issue to squabble about and it is not like they don't have enough of them.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

If they don't get to burry him there that will become yet another issue to squabble about and it is not like they don't have enough of them.
But letting him be buried there gives the Israelis another issue to squabble about and it's not like they don't have enough of them, either.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

That is just the price you have to pay when you happen to have one of the holiest sites in Islam on your piece of land. You can either live with it or return the land.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Yeah, and the day they have a leader that understands will still be a day where the people that leader represents won't understand that. The price will include a surcharge of "not getting re-elected/possibly being killed by your own people".
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Nobody said it would be an easy choice :D
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

I was so hoping that Arafat would turn himself into a suicide bomber, and take out a good portion of Zionist Israel.
\m/
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

The conditions are unknown. Even different news agencies have different word on it. BBC had him as dead this morning. CNN says that his condition is worsening.

Hmmm...

Maybe he's actually dead, and condition is worsening because he's decomposing?

<dramatic music!> Shhh...he's de-composing!
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Alareth
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Alareth »

I'm sure he is as healthy and alive as L. Ron Hubbard.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"Society without religion is like a psychopath without a gun"
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Alareth wrote:I'm sure he is as healthy and alive as L. Ron Hubbard.
He's been dismembered, burned, bones crushed into powder and scattered across Lake Michigan?
Alareth
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Alareth »

Daki wrote:
Alareth wrote:I'm sure he is as healthy and alive as L. Ron Hubbard.
He's been dismembered, burned, bones crushed into powder and scattered across Lake Michigan?
Sorry, brain misfire. I was thinking about something completely off track. Please disregard anything I say today as lucid thought.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"Society without religion is like a psychopath without a gun"
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Van Der Litreb wrote:I was so hoping that Arafat would turn himself into a suicide bomber, and take out a good portion of Zionist Israel.
Why do you think he wants to be buried in Jerusalem? I wonder how many explosives you can pack into a coffin... :p
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

simple. A nuclear bomb.

Done away with all the problems in Middle East.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Then you'd have American Jews and Arabs bickering over the ashes.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Okay then.

Pray that Earth will finally collide into sun or something like that :)
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

He's dead, Jim.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yup, he managed 75 years of damn stupid. Let's see if the next guy does any better.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I don't know if you could call him stupid. The Palestinian Authority has had it's ups and downs when it came to their effectiveness, and it certainly seemed to have gone downhill after Rabin got killed, but he went from a terrorist to a man who won the Nobel peace prize. You should see the speech he gave in front of the UN when the PLO got recognised by the UN in 1974. Pretty impressive stuff.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

And let's also remember that Israel managed to get founded with a little help from a bunch of Jewish terrorist groups. <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun>Irgun</a> and <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehi_%28group%29>Lehi</a>. No one's innocent over there, but Arafat did manage to make a nice turn around.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Forums make me laugh.

Torin Proud
Tasty Human

Post by Torin Proud »

DV8 wrote:I don't know if you could call him stupid. The Palestinian Authority has had it's ups and downs when it came to their effectiveness, and it certainly seemed to have gone downhill after Rabin got killed, but he went from a terrorist to a man who won the Nobel peace prize. You should see the speech he gave in front of the UN when the PLO got recognised by the UN in 1974. Pretty impressive stuff.
Yeah I was being Flippant, I'll cop to that yer' honor. :aww
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My guess was that you weren't using the literal meaning of "stupid," but rather the colloquial meaning, and that additionally you were paraphrasing Captain Murphy, who, when speaking of that "Mandu crap," aka Hinduism, called it, "5,000 years of...of stupid!" in conversation with Dr Virjay.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

So Freedom Fighter or Terrorist?
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

lorg wrote:So Freedom Fighter or Terrorist?
Personally, I'd call him a terrorist who became a freedom fighter. But that's probably just me.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

It doesn't have to be exclusivly one or the other. Arafat always refered to himself as a freedom fighter, but then yeah they probably all do that ...

They started using terror to "highlight" their cause and struggle so it is no doubt he was one, atleast at one period in time.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah I'll hedge my bets too. :D

Seriously though, his actions could easily be construed either way depending on when and what.