BUSH WINS

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

BUSH WINS

Post by Marius »

It's a Bush win, barring any earthshattering post-election lawsuits. The FL win will probalby stand up. The margin there is quite large. The OH margin is also around 200K, so probably more than enough to stand up to litigation.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Congratulations.

And yes, I do mean that genuinely. You actually elected one of the two guys properly, without a single court intervention or terrorist attack. I didn't think it would go so well.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I hope he actually gets over the 270 - the riots that will occur if the House picks will be amusing, but destructive and better avoided.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Dewey wins!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

I'd tune in CNN if you think bush wins...my state's is the new florida, maybe

the election is 10 days at least from being over, cause that's when Ohios votes will finally be tabulated
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

From what I saw, Bush had a reasonable lead of about 3% in Ohio.

Oh, by the way, if Ohio does actually become the new Florida, I withdraw my congratulations. Having *that* fiasco all over again just isn't good for democracy.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

It's just under a 100k difference in OH right now, with 92% reporting. And with the 200K or so provisional ballots that still need to be counted, I think it's a little early.

Edit: Ok, it's not early any more.
Last edited by Big Jim on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

1% right now...100K votes and getting smaller every update...between 100K and 200K provisional ballots and military votes still at large and not counted until the 10th day after the elections...no one is conciding this one...2000 all over again

<edit add in>

And with Iowa out now, we've got at least a few more days...
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

He's won it quite convincingly.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

To win Ohio, Kerry would have to take more than 3/4 of the remaining votes to be counted, including the provisional ballots. And don't forget, that the provisional ballots are provisional. Many of them will be invalid... that's the whole point of them. Thus, Kerry would probably have to take close to 80% or more of the remaining valid votes to pull out a win there. Unlikely in the extreme.
--
I wish I had a cool sig like everyone else.
*sigh*
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Since when was Iowa out? It could still go either way.

And does anyone have any stats on the popular vote?
Last edited by mrmooky on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Artemis Frog wrote:To win Ohio, Kerry would have to take more than 3/4 of the remaining votes to be counted, including the provisional ballots. And don't forget, that the provisional ballots are provisional. Many of them will be invalid... that's the whole point of them. Thus, Kerry would probably have to take close to 80% or more of the remaining valid votes to pull out a win there. Unlikely in the extreme.
Unfortunately yes.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

The US popular vote has Bush with a lead of 3.6 million votes, and only 15 or 16 million votes left to be counted.

Bush will win the popular vote.
--
*sigh*
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

In that case, we can actually call him fairly elected.
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

mrmooky wrote:Since when was Iowa out? It could still go either way.

And does anyone have any stats on the popular vote?
Yeah, Iowa can go either way, but New Mexico seems to be falling in Bush's column. Without NM, it's a 269-269 tie, but more likely, Bush will have 274 electoral votes (with NM) or maybe even 281 with Iowa.
--
*sigh*
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

mrmooky wrote:In that case, we can actually call him fairly elected.
Fair has nothing to do with it. All that counts is that the president is legally elected. And in 2000, Bush was legally elected. If you don't like the unfairness, then we need to change the system so that legal and fair make a closer match.
--
*sigh*
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

Iowa's out cause of fatiuge, and the counting won't be done til later..yeah I do conceed that Bush won the popular vote. but Iowa flipped last year during the provisional/military ballots, and Ohio could turn into a long process...like I've said another Florida. We'll hafta see. Strangly CNN seems to really have the best coverage for once...
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Artemis Frog wrote:Fair has nothing to do with it. All that counts is that the president is legally elected.
Yes, but so was Saddam Hussein. Sorry, but if you want to have any kind of moral legitimacy as a leader, you have to have the support of your people. This time, Bush has shown that he has that support, so now I actually have some respect for him, even if I disagree with some of his policies.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Waiting ... waiting .... 11 freakin' days! They count the votes in that "third world" country India faster then that. Then perhaps we will have the pleasure of a few lawsuits and retakes on them. So basically it's the 2000 election all over again, they just moved the "fun" from Florida to Ohio.

But if Marius dream of 4 more years with Bush comes true (oh the horror!) what do you expect him to do durring that time? After all he can't go for a term after this one so all the really weird shit he believes in could be pushed thru now concidering the GOP will controll both house and senate.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Unlikely he'll be able to pass all the weird shit he wants to. The Republicans already had a majority in both houses, but not all of them supported Bush's policies automatically. Presumably there won't be a huge difference between the policy direction they take now and the direction they've already taken.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

It seems certain that we will not have to wait longer than today. From what I understand even if John Kerry wins the 116 or so thousand provisional votes (I mean win all of them, every last one) George Bush has a 140K lead. 140-116=No win.

That my friends as we say, is a wrap.
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

Hey guys, let's put it like this:
At the moment, it looks as though Bush has the best chance of winning. However, we won't be sure until all of the votes have been counted. We just have to sit tight and wait until then to see which politician (gawd I hope I spelled that one right) has control over our country.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Watching the state by state vote on the CNN election maps, how on earth can a state like Nevada vote for Bush? Don't they in large support themselves on "sinful" gambling, legalized prostitution etc etc ..
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Because that's not all Bush stands for, ya nonce.

In fact, that might be exactly the reason why they're voting for Bush, who's far more in favour of smaller government interference than Kerry is.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Some days it really fucking sucks to live in this country
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

mrmooky wrote:
Artemis Frog wrote:Fair has nothing to do with it. All that counts is that the president is legally elected.
Yes, but so was Saddam Hussein. Sorry, but if you want to have any kind of moral legitimacy as a leader, you have to have the support of your people. This time, Bush has shown that he has that support, so now I actually have some respect for him, even if I disagree with some of his policies.
So this is the first president with moral legitimacy since 1988?
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

mrmooky wrote:
Yes, but so was Saddam Hussein.
Right. And so we changed the system.
Sorry, but if you want to have any kind of moral legitimacy as a leader, you have to have the support of your people. This time, Bush has shown that he has that support, so now I actually have some respect for him, even if I disagree with some of his policies.
And I agree with you, but no one was talking about moral legitimacy. I think it's wonderful that it looks like we will have a clear winner, but even in a worst case scenario (election process-wise): the electoral vote goes to a 269-269 tie; two or three states are razor thin for Bush and going to court and recount; Kerry has a significant popular vote lead; and the House gives the office to Bush. Even in that worst-case scenario, Bush is still the legitimate president. If you think it's unfair, you blame the process and try to change it. The candidates, much as some people hate them, are NOT to blame for a fucked up process. And we don't change the legal results based on what we FEEL is fair.
--
*sigh*
MojoPin
Tasty Human

Post by MojoPin »

Instant Cash wrote:Some days it really fucking sucks to live in this country
At least you get to vote for the Master of the World. We can only sit back and watch it happening. Much more frustrating, let me tell you...

<Looks around> Damn, haven't been here in ages.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

MojoPin wrote: At least you get to vote for the Master of the World. We can only sit back and watch it happening. Much more frustrating, let me tell you...

<Looks around> Damn, haven't been here in ages.
I can only imagine. Much suckage.

And yes, welcome back. :)
-Big Jim
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Well this count is going to be looked at very carefully, I'd say. I don't think he's going to be able to pull the same bullshit from four years ago.

But seriously, it would be great is someone raped him to death with some PVC pipe and barbed wire.
Coasini
Tasty Human

Post by Coasini »

Bush, Kerry, whoever.. doesn't matter. The US will have poor leadership either way for the next 4 years.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Crazy Elf wrote:Well this count is going to be looked at very carefully, I'd say. I don't think he's going to be able to pull the same bullshit from four years ago.

But seriously, it would be great is someone raped him to death with some PVC pipe and barbed wire.
Well, the pretzel gave it a fair go.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

He got raped by the pretzel to? So it wasn't satisfied with choking him :D
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

By the way...if anyone noticed, House of Representatives and Senate is controlled by Republicans, and it's looking like Bush will control the White House. That means, government is controlled by Republicans. It's going to be very interesting for next two or four years.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

FlameBlade wrote:By the way...if anyone noticed, House of Representatives and Senate is controlled by Republicans, and it's looking like Bush will control the White House. That means, government is controlled by Republicans. It's going to be very interesting for next two or four years.
Oh don't worry, this did not go unnoticed.

And to add insult to injury, this president will get to elect a large portion of the Supreme Court when the old bastards that are there now die off. :mad
-Big Jim
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

To add further insult...Democrats won't be able to block certain appointees.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

FOX just reported that Kerry has called Bush and conceded.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Raygun wrote:FOX just reported that Kerry has called Bush and conceded.
Hrn. So much for Edwards statement to the press "We will fight for every vote."

MSNBC is also reporting the call from Kerry.
Last edited by Gunny on Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Raygun wrote:FOX just reported that Kerry has called Bush and conceded.
eh, it was inevitable
-Big Jim
Reika

Post by Reika »

Gunny wrote: Hrn. So much for Edwards statement to the press "We will fight for every vote."
Do you really want to see another fiasco like what happened in 2000?
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Whoohoo 4 more year ... 4 more years ... yuck!

Well I recon atleast it spared us another whole recount debacle.
MojoPin
Tasty Human

Post by MojoPin »

Just read Kerry was congratulating Bush for his victory. Hell buy him a beer and give him a hug, you joker. I really hate this congratulating your foe thing. Fuck this, this is pure hypocrisy. I'm totally ok with their being correct, not calling each other names or spitting in the face but this is pushing fair play way too far. Can't he simply concede victory and tell the American people he will keep on fighting for what he believes is right?? This is just disgraceful.
---
It's not that I disagree with Bush's economic policy or his foreign policy, it's that I believe...he was a child of Satan here to destroy the planet Earth
Bill Hicks
Marius

Post by Marius »

Can't he simply concede victory and tell the American people he will keep on fighting for what he believes is right??
Not truthfully, no. Kerry's political career - undistinguished before his run for president - is pretty much limited now to being the junior (maybe soon senior) senator from MA, and continuing to author or pass any legislation of any interest whatsoever.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Oh well. A lumpen, hollow president who puts more faith in mysticism than rationalism isn't that much worse than an undynamic, scattershot president with an imprecise paradigm.

I think I'm going to start printing my "Obama in '08" buttons.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

And... back. That was a fucking long commercial break.

Congratulations to President Bush (and I really mean this) from the bottom of my heart. No, really. Unlike 2000 there's no doubt about this being a fair and legal election, and when the people have spoken, that's all she wrote.

This will be a very, very interesting four years. No, it won't be the end of the world as we know it (maybe as some americans and arabs know it, though, which is what indicates this will be so interesting). And by '08... he'll be gone for good.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Unlikely he'll be able to pass all the weird shit he wants to.
As long as the House gets off it's ass, reconciles HR3550 (Transportation
Equity Act: A Legacy for Users) with S1072 (Safe, Accountable, Flexible and Efficient
Transportation Equity Act), and passes the bill, they can outlaw skipping for all I care. Senate managed to do their job, passed S1072, then the House decided to go on vacation. Stupid fuckers.

I'm not bitter or anything though.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

For those of us that are too lazy to google, what do those bills do?
</font>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Shouldn't you be adding a 'MooCow is a prostitute' line to the bottom of your signature? ;)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

For those of us that are too lazy to google, what do those bills do?
S1072 provides $318 billion for transportation infrastructure over six years. HR3550 provides for a lesser amount if I recall properly, however it's funded badly and so it's actually the one that would be more likely to raise taxes. ASCE is mostly supporting S1072, though they'd like to see some of the things in HR3550 make it into the final bill.

Here is a link to HR3550
One to S1072
And ASCE's recommended reconciliations (You may not be able to view this, not certain)
Last edited by MooCow on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Wow. Summary?