BUSH WINS

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Wow. Summary?
After a bit of searching, I finally dug up the USDOT website on SAFETEA. Included on the site is a nice little fact sheet and a funding chart.

That should pretty well tell you everything you need to know about the bill. In short it pumps money into every area of Transportation; Everything from highway construction, to air quality management, to university research.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Rev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Rev »

Eh, predictions.

Tax cuts for the wealthy -> permenant.

Liability award caps -> Next Year.

Health care costs -> no noticable change (eg +10% or so, +1% uninsured per year).

Deficit -> To the moon baby.

Iraq War -> dribbles on and on.

Social security -> tick tick tick bing. At least I get to tell my parents "I told you so", and they can live with my sister. Not that they are going to give a fuck while the real tax rate on those of us who have to actually work shoots up, baby boomers. Bah.
_No, I'm not John Tynes.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Rev wrote:Iraq War -> dribbles on and on.
Possibly, possibly not. Not that the whole election fiasco is over they can actually get back to work. Even the commanders on the ground over there were admitting that attacks on places like Fallujah had been put on hold for several months plus because it was the middle of an election and the resultant images might not have played well.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Rev wrote:Deficit -> To the moon baby.
Does that mean we'll at least stop hearing the "Reagan's was bigger" line?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

You people make me laugh.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

If it makes ya feel any better, Paul, Republicans make me laugh.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

ak404 wrote:If it makes ya feel any better, Paul, Republicans make me laugh.
Ooh! Lets get broader.

Americans make me laugh.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

If anything, I hope this emboldens Bush on certain issues. With the spectre of getting re-elected out of the way he's got four years to do whatever the hell he feels like without having to worry about what the public or media thinks. Things like Iraq or the highly volatile Israel-PA situation.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

FlakJacket wrote:If anything, I hope this emboldens Bush on certain issues. With the spectre of getting re-elected out of the way he's got four years to do whatever the hell he feels like without having to worry about what the public or media thinks. Things like Iraq or the highly volatile Israel-PA situation.
He can't quite do whatever he wants. There's still the possibility of Congress impeaching him, or if he really pisses people off, a referendum can be passed by the people to get him out of office.
Marius

Post by Marius »

There's still the possibility of Congress impeaching him, or if he really pisses people off, a referendum can be passed by the people to get him out of office.
Say what? First off, there's Republican control of Congress. That's not breeding grounds for impeachment. Second . . . referendum for removal? Huh? Which part of the Constitution is that in?
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Marius wrote:Say what? First off, there's Republican control of Congress. That's not breeding grounds for impeachment. Second . . . referendum for removal? Huh? Which part of the Constitution is that in?
I'm sure there's some things even Republicans can't stomach. And I could be insane about the referndum, but I could have sworn I read somewhere (I don't believe in the Constitution), that there could be a referndum by the people to remove the president. But like I said, I could be misremembering something.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Johnny the Bull wrote:
ak404 wrote:If it makes ya feel any better, Paul, Republicans make me laugh.
Ooh! Lets get broader.

Americans make me laugh.
No, Americans me fucking cry.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

I think that we Americans will get whatever it is we deserve for electing Bush twice. I sure hope fear of the flaming gay penises was worth it.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

First, nobody ever gets what they deserve. Of course, if they did, you're leaving open the possibility that electing Bush twice could get us really good things. Which is cool.

Second, and I hope you realize that this is mandatory, "Like rampant homophobia is the only reason to not run screaming into Kerry's fatherly embrace. Nobody thought that Bush would be a safer choice, or that Kerry was an empty suit, or just liked the way things were now. Nosiree-bob, they were all thinking of an open prairie full of slimy open jars of vaseline and an Indian facing the camera with a tear running down his cheek. Yeah, that's what it's all about."

You know, I'm starting to wish that Kerry had won, just to change who's holding the sour grapes.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

Well, 11 states *did* ban gay marriage. Furthermore, exit polls showed that many voters considered "moral issues" to be one of the most important critera upon which they based their decision.

So, while I wouldn't say that fear of gayness was the *only* issue, I think that it would be a mistake to say that it *wasn't* an issue.

LINK: MSNBC on gays getting groin punched by conservatives over the gay marriage issue: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6383353/

Finally, a few pointers. 1.) I'm registered as an independent, not a democrat. 2.) Kerry is a sucky empty suit and I can't imagine why the democrats used him as the presidential candidate. Make that 2 elections they fumbled by having a crappy candidate and bad campaign.

BUT

3.) Empty suit New England aristocracy Kerry is *still* better than Bush. Because Bush is just that bad. Yes, that's right...I'd rather have a pointless boring career politican in office than Bush. I would feel *safer*.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I wouldn't. Shit, can you imagine what it'd be like if Kerry won? He's like Bush, but from a different state. God only knows what the Dems were thinking when they made him their guy.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

The dems lack energy and initiative. This makes them look like corrupt aristocratic politicians. This gets worse when they keep running boring and unconvincing candidates. I think they fumbled the election as much as the Republicans won it.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Oh, I knew that. Hell, I've described the Democrats as Fucking Spineless Wimps tons of times. I'm just wondering where all the liberals went.

Oh yeah, they moved to the fucking cities.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

TLM wrote:And by '08... he'll be gone for good.
Nothing bad that doesn't have that silver lining of hope.

Well atleast now he has something his daddy doesn't, a second term in office.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Wounded Ronin wrote:The dems lack energy and initiative. This makes them look like corrupt aristocratic politicians. This gets worse when they keep running boring and unconvincing candidates. I think they fumbled the election as much as the Republicans won it.
I totally wanted Dean. :p

PS. we need a little civil war. Can an entire state request political asylum?
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

:lol
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

ak404 wrote:He's like Bush, but from a different state. God only knows what the Dems were thinking when they made him their guy.
I think you just answered your own question.
Wounded Ronin wrote:The dems lack energy and initiative. This makes them look like corrupt aristocratic politicians. This gets worse when they keep running boring and unconvincing candidates. I think they fumbled the election as much as the Republicans won it.
That's why I wanted Hillary to run. Even if she couldn't win, she would have lost in style.
MojoPin
Tasty Human

Post by MojoPin »

mrmooky wrote:That's why I wanted Hillary to run. Even if she couldn't win, she would have lost in style.
Word. :smokin
---
It's not that I disagree with Bush's economic policy or his foreign policy, it's that I believe...he was a child of Satan here to destroy the planet Earth
Bill Hicks
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Next time ... Mmm wonder who the Reps will run in '08, after all George is out, Cheney is well old and basically dead so he can't really be the running man can he? He doesn't even want does he? So what are they going to do? Run Jeb Bush?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Jeb Bush is a fair enough guess, even if I loathe the idea.I would hope John McCain would be healhty enough to participate, or that they would open the way for Arnold to be the main man. I'd vote for Arnold hands down.

Dem wise, I would to see Barak run, but I can't say that will happen. He is perhaps second only to Arnold in my book.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Serious Paul wrote:Jeb Bush is a fair enough guess, even if I loathe the idea.I would hope John McCain would be healhty enough to participate, or that they would open the way for Arnold to be the main man. I'd vote for Arnold hands down.
Ah-nold is Austrian-born. He can't run for President. Sorry.
Dem wise, I would to see Barak run, but I can't say that will happen. He is perhaps second only to Arnold in my book.
Barack shouldn't run in '08. He'll still be too "new" to the scene. Even if he shakes things up in the next four years, he isn't a strong enough candidate alone. He'd make an excellent VP pick, though, which would also give him the experience he'd need to run on his own 8 years later (assuming a Dem win).

Time for some predictions that will take three years to materialize (I wonder if someone will dredge this up then... ;) ):

I'd expect to see Hillary Clinton make a try for it. Dean, if we're lucky, will show up again - because let's face it, he did fire up his portion of the Dems and had a lot of energy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Edwards show up again. Rev. Sharpton, because he always runs. And... oh... what the hell... Gary Coleman. :D

McCain, if we're lucky, will show up for the Republicans. I'd expect Jeb Bush to make a bid for it. For my outside pick - if we're still at war somewhere and Condoleeza Rice hasn't spent all of her credibility putting out fires for the administration, she might credibly run (she'd likely fail, but it'd be an interesting try).

If (and this is a big if at the moment) President Bush continues his bigger government tendancies, bigger debt, and more intrusive christian-values-based governing, I'd expect the Republican party to splinter considerably in the next race, with a good number of the fiscal conservatives peeling off into the Libertarian party. Especially if the candidate finally chosen is another Bush-style Republican, or is (somehow) even further on that end of the party. Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems shatter completely if they try to pass off a(nother, according to some) conservative near-republican dem as their candidate in a vain appeal for the "moderate" vote. A lot of the truly liberal elements of the party are sick of things as they are and there's no way they will ever manage to resolve the party to actually even come close to their desired platform.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

The birth of a strong center party perhaps? Stuck in the middle between the Reps - Dems. Made up of the moderate Republicans and the more centrist or "conservative" democrats. Whoohooo three party system :D
Anguirel wrote:Ah-nold is Austrian-born. He can't run for President. Sorry.
They have been talking lately about changing that rule have they not?
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

So it is theoretically possible that Arnold might actually be allowed to run for President? Jesus... Whoever wrote "Demolition Man" must have been psychic. :p
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Is it in the constitution it says you have to be a native born to run for president (or something to that effect)?

So they would be ok with changing that so that Arnie could run but ohhh God forbid something else is changed (like the Guns and stuff).
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

lorg wrote:So they would be ok with changing that so that Arnie could run but ohhh God forbid something else is changed (like the Guns and stuff).
Hyper-opinionated much?

For what it's worth, I would support a constitutional amendment that allowed non-American-born citizens to run for any public office. I wouldn't support a constitutional amendment that removed the right to own firearms. Can you show me, Lorg, in any logical way, how that's contradictory? Or were you just blowing off more irrational steam?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think the more people dismiss the "moral right" as being "scared of fags" or whatever, the more they'll miss the point, and the more their opposition will win. Until you understand your opponent is another human being with differing opinions and reasoned justifications for those opinions, you will lose and lose and lose.

They don't want to ban gay marriage because they're scared of gays, or scared of more gays in public, or scared they'll suddenly be gay, or whatever the leftist small-minded insult of the day is: they want to ban gay marriage because being gay is wrong, an abomination against all they believe in. They want to ban gay marriage because for 10,000 years, "marriage" has meant the union between a man and a woman, and they don't see a compelling reason to make an exception to that rule for something that's an abomination.

Every time these people turn around, something horrible, something morally repugnant is going on. The US legalized murder - abortion - and now it's legalizing [in a few states] abominations against god, and then letting people committing the abomination to get married and pretend they're a family!

We dismissed these people for decades, and they're finally angry enough to make up fifty percent of the population, or something like it. But the city-bred left just keeps treating them like gun-totin' rednecks, without any consideration for their moral viewpoint. How would all of /you/ like it if the US legalized sex with infants, or murder of adults? I can justify those things with almost the same arguments used to justify legalized homosexuality or abortion. I could come up with all sorts of reasons it's better to let 8-year-olds marry. But you would be morally opposed to those actions, whatever reasons I provided: you need to realize that their position is no different from this one.

You treat them like idiots, like ignorant country fools, and you'll keep getting surprised when they take over the nation and stick us all with their moral agenda. You need to see them for what they are if you want to defeat them.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Quite simple. As soon as one talks about the constitution and changes to it you hear giant gasps of horror since some people appear to thing the document was more or less handed down by God himself and can't possibly be changed (or updated). But for you it is ok to change it in some places but not in others. How on earth can your desired change be logical while mine is illogical and hyper-opinionated?

Changes you like to do Good, while the once others prefer Bad? PLEASE!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

lorg wrote:Changes you like to do Good, while the once others prefer Bad? PLEASE!
What the heck, dude? Doesn't that make perfect sense? That I would want changes I want, and not want changes I don't? Dur.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Read it with the first paragraph of text. Why was my wish for a change to the Gun part illogical and bad just cause you don't want it?

Naturally all things I belive in are things I think are good, those that I don't care for are bad.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

lorg wrote:Read it with the first paragraph of text. Why was my wish for a change to the Gun part illogical and bad just cause you don't want it?
People support things they want, and don't support things they don't. People support changes to the Constitution they think are positive, but resist change to aspects of it they believe in. You want to change an aspect of it that they think is positive, so obviously they don't want an amendment for it. They want a change they think is fine, so obviously they wouldn't mind an amendment for it.

Yes, people think of the Constitution as a sacred document, and don't want to make changes to it unless they're a really good idea. You think that's illogical just because you don't agree with their notion of a good idea.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Hell, I'd favor an amendment that would allow non-native born Americans to run for presidendency after living in the country for a certain period of time. I belive what's been suggested is 20 years which seems reasonable to me.

And hell, I'd vote for Ah-nold myself, the guy seems to have some really good ideas and I could be misreading, but he seems to be helping California a great deal.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

lorg wrote:Next time ... Mmm wonder who the Reps will run in '08, after all George is out, Cheney is well old and basically dead so he can't really be the running man can he? He doesn't even want does he? So what are they going to do? Run Jeb Bush?
Giuliani, whose name I misspelled, will most likely win in a landslide.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Salvation122 wrote:
lorg wrote:Next time ... Mmm wonder who the Reps will run in '08, after all George is out, Cheney is well old and basically dead so he can't really be the running man can he? He doesn't even want does he? So what are they going to do? Run Jeb Bush?
Giuliani, whose name I misspelled, will most likely win in a landslide.
McCain/Giuliani would be my preferred ticket.

Schwartzenegger, despite his background, would be an interesting choice if they ammend it so he can run. He's shown that he is willing to go against party lines on agendas (Stem Cell Research).

Powell? Perfect choice. I don't see him running though.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

3278 wrote:I think the more people dismiss the "moral right" as being "scared of fags" or whatever, the more they'll miss the point, and the more their opposition will win. Until you understand your opponent is another human being with differing opinions and reasoned justifications for those opinions, you will lose and lose and lose.

They don't want to ban gay marriage because they're scared of gays, or scared of more gays in public, or scared they'll suddenly be gay, or whatever the leftist small-minded insult of the day is: they want to ban gay marriage because being gay is wrong, an abomination against all they believe in. They want to ban gay marriage because for 10,000 years, "marriage" has meant the union between a man and a woman, and they don't see a compelling reason to make an exception to that rule for something that's an abomination.

Every time these people turn around, something horrible, something morally repugnant is going on. The US legalized murder - abortion - and now it's legalizing [in a few states] abominations against god, and then letting people committing the abomination to get married and pretend they're a family!

We dismissed these people for decades, and they're finally angry enough to make up fifty percent of the population, or something like it. But the city-bred left just keeps treating them like gun-totin' rednecks, without any consideration for their moral viewpoint. How would all of /you/ like it if the US legalized sex with infants, or murder of adults? I can justify those things with almost the same arguments used to justify legalized homosexuality or abortion. I could come up with all sorts of reasons it's better to let 8-year-olds marry. But you would be morally opposed to those actions, whatever reasons I provided: you need to realize that their position is no different from this one.

You treat them like idiots, like ignorant country fools, and you'll keep getting surprised when they take over the nation and stick us all with their moral agenda. You need to see them for what they are if you want to defeat them.

Uhh....I think this is already how lefties like me see the majority of the Republican voters. That's precisely why all the "christian" and "yokel" jokes come up.

Also, you wrote: "They don't want to ban gay marriage because they're scared of gays, or scared of more gays in public, or scared they'll suddenly be gay, or whatever the leftist small-minded insult of the day is: they want to ban gay marriage because being gay is wrong, an abomination against all they believe in."

If you think that something is an abomination then wouldn't you be scared of it happening more in public and the people around you subscribing to it? I don't think there's a difference between what you say it isn't and what you say it is.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Wounded Ronin wrote:Uhh....I think this is already how lefties like me see the majority of the Republican voters. That's precisely why all the "christian" and "yokel" jokes come up.
And my point is that your perception of them is incorrect.
Wounded Ronin wrote:If you think that something is an abomination then wouldn't you be scared of it happening more in public and the people around you subscribing to it? I don't think there's a difference between what you say it isn't and what you say it is.
You're talking about two different things. "Fear of homosexuality" is not "fear of people committing an atrocity in a public place." Frankly, I don't even know where this "public place" thing is coming from; abomination is abomination, public or private.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

3278 wrote: You're talking about two different things. "Fear of homosexuality" is not "fear of people committing an atrocity in a public place." Frankly, I don't even know where this "public place" thing is coming from; abomination is abomination, public or private.
But I thought that that was your point, that homosexuality is something that many Americans see as bad.

Like, most Americans don't like bestiality, right? So they're afraid of bestiality; they'd be afraid they learned the guy down the street was humping Fido.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

The word you're looking for is "shocked", possibly "appalled", "outraged", "angry", and the list goes on. None of that reaction is fear, unless you're afraid that you're neighbor is going to rape your dog. The thought behind the word homophobia as it's used today is this: that man is gay, and he's looking at my package/wants to do me in the butt/wants to rape my son. I won't deny that those people and that thinking exist, but to say that anyone who thinks of homosexuality as something that our society shouldn't endorse is automatically "afraid" is fooling themselves. I've actually been having discussions with some fairly intelligent co-workers who are fully against gay marriage. They don't hate gay people (okay, one of them comes close, but he's attempting to focus on the act itself), and quite a lot of this is religiously motivated, but there's a reasoning at work. While I don't agree with this viewpoint, I can see the logic in it. "If we legalize gay marriage, then the schools will have to teach about it. The books will have to have equal time for these types of familes and essentially promote this as an acceptable lifestyle." Essentially, this one thing will have huge repercussions for our society and how we deal with a subset of it. A subset for whom it is still unproven as to whether they are born into it or choose it later (and you "knowing" that it's not a choice doesn't count as proof). While you can cry Jim Crow all you like (and I see reason to at least give it a mention every so oftehn while we talk about civil unions) there are some fundamental differences between the black struggle and the gay struggle for equality.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

just cause someone doesnt like it doesnt mean they're afraid of it.
its like on fear factor with eating worms or bull testicles. I'm not afraid of it, but I sure as hell wont eat it. Blech!
------------------------------------------------------------------
If its one thing I learned from Ghostbusters, its that we never cross the streams.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

BloodHound wrote:just cause someone doesnt like it doesnt mean they're afraid of it.
its like on fear factor with eating worms or bull testicles. I'm not afraid of it, but I sure as hell wont eat it. Blech!
I always wanted to try Blue Mountain Oyster.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

WillyGilligan wrote:The word you're looking for is "shocked", possibly "appalled", "outraged", "angry", and the list goes on. None of that reaction is fear, unless you're afraid that you're neighbor is going to rape your dog. The thought behind the word homophobia as it's used today is this: that man is gay, and he's looking at my package/wants to do me in the butt/wants to rape my son. I won't deny that those people and that thinking exist, but to say that anyone who thinks of homosexuality as something that our society shouldn't endorse is automatically "afraid" is fooling themselves. I've actually been having discussions with some fairly intelligent co-workers who are fully against gay marriage. They don't hate gay people (okay, one of them comes close, but he's attempting to focus on the act itself), and quite a lot of this is religiously motivated, but there's a reasoning at work. While I don't agree with this viewpoint, I can see the logic in it. "If we legalize gay marriage, then the schools will have to teach about it. The books will have to have equal time for these types of familes and essentially promote this as an acceptable lifestyle." Essentially, this one thing will have huge repercussions for our society and how we deal with a subset of it. A subset for whom it is still unproven as to whether they are born into it or choose it later (and you "knowing" that it's not a choice doesn't count as proof). While you can cry Jim Crow all you like (and I see reason to at least give it a mention every so oftehn while we talk about civil unions) there are some fundamental differences between the black struggle and the gay struggle for equality.

So, in other words, as a society we are not yet ready to accept homosexuality.

I see it more like women's lib in the early 20th century. At the time, it seemed really gross and unseemly for women to dress like men and want to be on an equal footing. But with time we eventually saw the light.

Maybe the gays will be okay with the rest of society in another 10 years.

Maybe in that time religion will also lose power in this country, much like the medieval church was a lot more powerful than the modern one.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

Wounded Ronin wrote:Maybe in that time religion will also lose power in this country, much like the medieval church was a lot more powerful than the modern one.
I think religion is gaining power in your country. I wouldn't expect it to go away in a hurry.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

crone wrote:
Wounded Ronin wrote:Maybe in that time religion will also lose power in this country, much like the medieval church was a lot more powerful than the modern one.
I think religion is gaining power in your country. I wouldn't expect it to go away in a hurry.
I think it was even more powerful in the 50s and before.

Man, to think that back when I was in middle school and high school I would do independent reading on world religions and Joseph Campbell. I read about all the important lessons that the religions of the world and of history had to teach us. But then the American Christian lobby has to go and pervert their own religion into something so asinine as dislike of gays.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

How is anyone perverting Christianity into disliking gays? I'm pretty sure that Leviticus still says that homosexuality is an abomination. While christians should love the sinner and hate the sin, it's not just mean-spiritidness that's fueling the idea that the state shouldn't condone abberrant sexuality.
Wounded Ronin
Tasty Human

Post by Wounded Ronin »

WillyGilligan wrote:How is anyone perverting Christianity into disliking gays? I'm pretty sure that Leviticus still says that homosexuality is an abomination. While christians should love the sinner and hate the sin, it's not just mean-spiritidness that's fueling the idea that the state shouldn't condone abberrant sexuality.
But choosing homosexuality as one thing to object to while ignoring a lot of the other provisions in Leviticus just strikes me as being retrospective justification of contemporary bias. If you flip through Leviticus there are a *lot* of provisions and rules but many of them we wouldn't take seriously today.

Besides, it's not about condoning homosexuality so much as it is removing various legal hoops the homosexual couple must go through to get the same legal benefits as the straight couple. In the US, if you are married, certain legal things apply to things like inheritance, ownership, etc. But if two gay people want the same legal benefits they cannot get them.

The solution is to get religion the hell out of the laws. The legal equation of marriage should be able to applied to any two people. There need not be a formal ceremony, but the same legal benefits should be available to both gay and straight couples.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

That still doesn't make the anti-homosexuality stance a perversion of the religion. What you've got there is a strong argument for us to return to the roots.