Draft-Dodger Monument

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

MooCow wrote:Anything outside of the hard sciences would by it's nature be an opinion since it can not be proven. That said, it's a fact.
What's a fact? I think I don't understand what you mean here.
Which is what?
At this point there's several tangents in the original discussion, and none of which I see those remarks being terriblely useful for. That's, of course, opinion.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Those are your principles; theirs were different.
Except mine are of course the only ones that matter.
What's a fact? I think I don't understand what you mean here.
That people who don't stand their ground when their principles are challenged have no principles.
At this point there's several tangents in the original discussion, and none of which I see those remarks being terriblely useful for.
32 argued they were acting in accordance with their principles, and I argued that isn't so because failing to stand your ground in the face of a challenge to your principles nullifies any claim to having said principles.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

MooCow wrote:Except mine are of course the only ones that matter.
Thanks for illustrating exactly what I meant.
That people who don't stand their ground when their principles are challenged have no principles.
:lol

For a half second I expected you to have you know, a serious reply.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Gillian's Willy wrote:How do you know that war pisses more people off than cowardice?
Draft dodging isn't cowardice. It's not fighting for a cause that's all about making rich people richer. That's not being a coward, it's common sense. Also, what tells me war pisses more people off than what you've percieved as being a coward, is that there's a fuck load of war protests, and pretty much no draft dodging protests.

Seems like it pisses off more people to me.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Or it pisses off more people iwth time on their hands.

As for draft dodging being cowardice, I'm agreeing with Moo that people who didn't want to fight had an option to go to jail, and avoidance of that choice is, I believe, cowardice. You may say that it's a lot more sensible to run away and live in exile than to waste a chunk of your life in jail, but the same can be said for a lot of actions that we deem cowardice.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

WillyGilligan wrote:Or it pisses off more people iwth time on their hands.

As for draft dodging being cowardice, I'm agreeing with Moo that people who didn't want to fight had an option to go to jail, and avoidance of that choice is, I believe, cowardice.
I'd say its common sense. If I had these three choices:
1. Fight in a war
2. Go to jail for not fighting in a war
3. Go to another 1st world country and avoid the consequences of war altogether

I'd fuck off to Canada in an instant. Not /because/ I am afraid of going to war and dying - and face, it I am, as is anyone in that situation - but /because/ it seems to be the most sensible thing.

If you give me the choice of honour and principles over a cushy life and a shit ton of cash at the expense of another, I'm gonna choose the latter.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Yes I suppose all those protests would have sprung up from having nothing better to do. All the organising, printing cost associated with getting the publicity out there and informing the media and relivant authorities all stems from just not having anything better to do. Or, Willy is a fucking idiot.
steeltoe1926
Bulldrekker

Post by steeltoe1926 »

Now even though I am not completely for the current scuffle in Iraq if the draft was started to end the problem I would enlist. I would not enlist to get put into a soft duty like mopping floors I would want the military to use me to my fullest no matter where that would be (even if it is mopping floors that is not where I would attempt to go) I have medical experience and am fit enough to get ion shape to go to the front lines in less that a month or two. Now I would choose to go combat if that is what was needed of me even though I cannot be drafted. I don’t have to support a fight my country picks, but I am not excused from supporting my country and helping it through the fight any way I can.

Personally I thing this monument is a slap to the American people. Common sense my ass. Scared unpatriotic bitches. We have never clamed not to have a large amount of selfish people in this country (we are a capitalistic society, and the economy runs because of greed, and selfishness) but that should NOT excuse people from doing their part
_
Don't go looking for snakes you might find them
Don't turn you'r eyes to the sun you might blind them
Haven't I seen you here before?
No, there ain't no heroes here
Metallica
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Psychotic Poofta wrote:Or, Willy is a fucking idiot.
That's not what your mom says. :p

More later.

[edit: Did I say that they had nothing better to do? No. I said that the people who protest war likely have more time on their hands than people who don't like draft dodgers. I base this on my personal observation that the bulk of protesters I have ever seen seem to be college students or senior citizens. It seems to me that the people who are most passionate about their little pet causes also seem to be the ones with the least to lose at the moment. They also don't give a damn that some of us need to get to work to feed our families while they're intentionally blocking off traffic lanes. However, I don't doubt for one second the sincerity of their feelings about the protests. I question that their visibility makes them the majority opinion.]
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

You know, some people manage to protest and *gasp* hold down a job. Anyway, if draft dodgers are more hated than war, or even on par, you'd at least expect some protestors.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

3278 wrote: I find avoiding the consequences of my actions to be quite in accord with my own principles.
That'd be a good trick.
WillyGilligan wrote:As for draft dodging being cowardice, I'm agreeing with Moo that people who didn't want to fight had an option to go to jail, and avoidance of that choice is, I believe, cowardice. You may say that it's a lot more sensible to run away and live in exile than to waste a chunk of your life in jail, but the same can be said for a lot of actions that we deem cowardice.
I don't get that. I can understand how people might say that refusing to fight was cowardice, but why is leaving the country more cowardly than going to jail? Some kind of "take your punishment like a man" attitude?
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

I don't get that. I can understand how people might say that refusing to fight was cowardice, but why is leaving the country more cowardly than going to jail? Some kind of "take your punishment like a man" attitude?
Choices have consequences. Making a choice is a brave thing. Letting someone else choose for you is not. Leaving the situation entirely because you don't like your alternatives doesn't improve the situation for anyone else and just serves to keep your happy ass from dealing with the consequences of your choice.

I'll put it this way. Telling your asshole boss to fuck off is a brave thing. Telling him to fuck off as you're walking out the door to start a new job outside of their influence is not a brave thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, in fact it's quite human to do it this way. But it's certainly nothing to write home about or to which monuments should be erected. In the case of protesting the war, going to prison would suck, but it would demonstrate resolve. Waves of draft protestors going to prison to protest an unjust war would send a helluva stronger message than waves of hippies going to live in Canada until the whole thing blows over. Hell, it might have ended things sooner as the nations prisons became overcrowded with non-violent offenders....ok maybe that's pushing it. But the fact is that the civil rights movement never got where they are today (at I believe a fairly astonishing level of equality considering the timescale involved) by running to countries where the race relations were better, or even back to Africa. That would have done nothing for the American race problem. In the same way, draft dodgers showed more self-interest than moral resolve in choosing exile over prison.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

WillyGilligan wrote:
Choices have consequences. Making a choice is a brave thing. Letting someone else choose for you is not. Leaving the situation entirely because you don't like your alternatives doesn't improve the situation for anyone else and just serves to keep your happy ass from dealing with the consequences of your choice.
So doing what is in your best interest and fuck the rest is cowardice? Shit, all this time I thought it was human instinct.
WillyGillian wrote:I'll put it this way. Telling your asshole boss to fuck off is a brave thing. Telling him to fuck off as you're walking out the door to start a new job outside of their influence is not a brave thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, in fact it's quite human to do it this way. But it's certainly nothing to write home about or to which monuments should be erected. In the case of protesting the war, going to prison would suck, but it would demonstrate resolve. Waves of draft protestors going to prison to protest an unjust war would send a helluva stronger message than waves of hippies going to live in Canada until the whole thing blows over. Hell, it might have ended things sooner as the nations prisons became overcrowded with non-violent offenders....ok maybe that's pushing it. But the fact is that the civil rights movement never got where they are today (at I believe a fairly astonishing level of equality considering the timescale involved) by running to countries where the race relations were better, or even back to Africa. That would have done nothing for the American race problem. In the same way, draft dodgers showed more self-interest than moral resolve in choosing exile over prison.
Why are you putting such as high value on resolve and bravery? If we put more value on intelligence and self preservation maybe we'd have less needless wars and young impressionable kids being sent off to get shot.

Edit: Fixed quote tags
Last edited by Johnny the Bull on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
No money, no honey
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Anyway, if draft dodgers are more hated than war, or even on par, you'd at least expect some protestors.
Or you'd simply realize that the people who don't like draft dodgers aren't so hopelessly brain dead as to think protests are worth wasting time on - particularly to oppose a few irresponsible individuals with no reason to care about the opinion of some sign-carrying speed bumps.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

So it's not as hated as war, as even the hopelessly brain dead hate that enough to get public movement out there.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Yeah, war motivates the braindead to stand in the street, drool, and shout mindless drivel, all of which they do for no cause at all every other day of the week. Fuckin' spitfire.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Why are you putting such as high value on resolve and bravery? If we put more value on intelligence and self preservation maybe we'd have less needless wars and young impressionable kids being sent off to get shot.
Because resolve and bravery get stuff done, while cowardice and self preservation keep the status quo. Ghandi had resolve and he had bravery. Thoreau talked about resolve, and he went to jail a few times in protest of unjust law. Martin Luther King did the same. He got shot, but he got stuff done. Bravery is not all about rushing the machine gun nest, although we prize bravery in others because we hope that we can rely on them to rush that nest if the need comes and we can't do it ourselves. Intelligence coupled with resolve is a good thing. Self-preservation just means you want to keep shoveling food and pushing shit for one more day on this god-forsaken mudball and keep complaining about how everything is always getting worse. I'm all for less needless war, and self-preservation has it's place. But bravery gets stuff done.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

WillyGilligan wrote:
Because resolve and bravery get stuff done, while cowardice and self preservation keep the status quo. Ghandi had resolve and he had bravery. Thoreau talked about resolve, and he went to jail a few times in protest of unjust law. Martin Luther King did the same. He got shot, but he got stuff done. Bravery is not all about rushing the machine gun nest, although we prize bravery in others because we hope that we can rely on them to rush that nest if the need comes and we can't do it ourselves. Intelligence coupled with resolve is a good thing. Self-preservation just means you want to keep shoveling food and pushing shit for one more day on this god-forsaken mudball and keep complaining about how everything is always getting worse. I'm all for less needless war, and self-preservation has it's place. But bravery gets stuff done.
Fuck off bravery is what gets stuff done. Greed and self interest gets shit done. For every political freedom fighter that was brave there are a hundred thousand scientists and entrepreneurs that improved the lot of everyone immesurably because they wanted the benjamins or scientific recognition.
No money, no honey
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

WillyGilligan wrote:Choices have consequences. Making a choice is a brave thing. Letting someone else choose for you is not. Leaving the situation entirely because you don't like your alternatives doesn't improve the situation for anyone else and just serves to keep your happy ass from dealing with the consequences of your choice.
Don't you have to deal with the consequences of your choice to go to Canada? It seems to me that you are looking at it form within a very narrow framework, where the only options that matter are war and prison.

To me, running to Canada demonstrates more uninvolvement than cowardice. I imagine those people didn't identify with the government, didn't feel it spoke for them, or that they influenced it, or that there was any significant relationship between them and it. Maybe they didn't stay to protest because they didn't care that much, or maybe they did care but felt there was no point.
I'll put it this way. Telling your asshole boss to fuck off is a brave thing.
I would call that stupid and rude. If that's bravery, I have a hard time seeing it as a virtue. OK, I can see what you mean, "I ain't afraida nobody." That's the standard, is it?
Telling him to fuck off as you're walking out the door to start a new job outside of their influence is not a brave thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, in fact it's quite human to do it this way. But it's certainly nothing to write home about or to which monuments should be erected.
You might make a satisifed comment in your LJ, though, and your friends would be happy for you. It's a question of scale. And I guess you are no friend to draft dodgers.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Fuck off bravery is what gets stuff done. Greed and self interest gets shit done. For every political freedom fighter that was brave there are a hundred thousand scientists and entrepreneurs that improved the lot of everyone immesurably because they wanted the benjamins or scientific recognition.
In the context of social injustice, or the percieved wrongness of the Vietnam war, please tell me how greed and self interest could have stopped the war (since I've been sort of assuming that we're talking about somebody who hated war, specifically the Vietnam War, and chose to run away rather than stand up when their draft number was called and say "this is wrong and I want no part of it".)?

As for greed and self interest improving the world: I believe that they have. They've also slowed progress in other ways, for a given definition of progress. It depends on what you're looking at. Greed and self interest have given us most of the drugs we use today to prolong our lives and pamper our already pampered asses (need I mention Viagra?) Is that necessarily progress? Self interest helping us live longer lives of greed? Or the Internet. Look at what greed and self-interest have done to the latest frontier on Earth. We took a new world where people from all over the planet could come together and share ideas, sort of like we're doing now, and it's 90% full of porn and lies. Ain't life grand?
Don't you have to deal with the consequences of your choice to go to Canada? It seems to me that you are looking at it form within a very narrow framework, where the only options that matter are war and prison.
In this context, they are the only options that matter. The consequences for living in Canada are...what, exactly? Cold weather, funny money, and possibly losing connection with family and friends. I call that minor inconvienience when you're running away from war. This is the price paid for saving your own skin, but not a price paid in service to a higher idea. Being part of the peace protests back then was sort of risky, as well. Much more than today. You risked jobs, family, friends, and possible incarceration. More to the point, or at least I feel it is, you are trying to make the situation better. The Dalai Lama is in exile right now and I don't count him a coward for that. The difference, I feel, is that he is doing more for his country outside than he could have if he'd stayed. I have yet to hear of anything done by draft-dodgers living in other countries during the war that was in any way meant to help the situation. They may have, but I haven't heard of anything. If you could point me in the direction of anyone who was doing something on the outside, I'd appreciate that.
I would call that stupid and rude. If that's bravery, I have a hard time seeing it as a virtue. OK, I can see what you mean, "I ain't afraida nobody." That's the standard, is it?
Okay, so I suck at analogy. The point of that was this: it's brave to do what's right and take the consequences of being right in a world gone wrong. To offhandedly say that something is wrong, or here's what's right as you place yourself in a situation where the consequence won't touch you is not. All of this is coming from one simple idea. Draft dodgers did nothing worthy of a monument. Though it's unproveable, I also feel that most of them were saving their own hides, even if they phrased it as a protest at the time. That's my point.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Crazy Elf wrote:Also, what tells me war pisses more people off than what you've percieved as being a coward, is that there's a fuck load of war protests, and pretty much no draft dodging protests.
That's, as you say, stupid. Large-scale protests like this are against the government; the US government wasn't supporting draft dodging. It is only counterculturalists who need to protest; when the vast number of people already agree with you, such a demonstration is unnecessary.

"Number of people demonstrating" is not necessarily diagnostic of "number of people pissed off." It's as simple as that. You only hold the point of view you do because you agree with their actions and disagree with the government's choices.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

WillyGilligan wrote: All of this is coming from one simple idea. Draft dodgers did nothing worthy of a monument.
I don't really disagree with that.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

WillyGilligan wrote:
In the context of social injustice, or the percieved wrongness of the Vietnam war, please tell me how greed and self interest could have stopped the war (since I've been sort of assuming that we're talking about somebody who hated war, specifically the Vietnam War, and chose to run away rather than stand up when their draft number was called and say "this is wrong and I want no part of it".)?
If the vast majority of Americans said fuck this for a joke and racked off to Canada or, if they couldn't get there, go to prison, the war wouldn't have happened. I'd say young people acting like sheep and going to war is what got them fucked,not the 'cowardice' of a few for doing the logical thing and chosing to improve their lot while avoiding the negative consequences of doing so.
As for greed and self interest improving the world: I believe that they have. They've also slowed progress in other ways, for a given definition of progress. It depends on what you're looking at. Greed and self interest have given us most of the drugs we use today to prolong our lives and pamper our already pampered asses (need I mention Viagra?) Is that necessarily progress? Self interest helping us live longer lives of greed? Or the Internet. Look at what greed and self-interest have done to the latest frontier on Earth. We took a new world where people from all over the planet could come together and share ideas, sort of like we're doing now, and it's 90% full of porn and lies. Ain't life grand?
No doubt. But your definition of bravery has fucked the world up just as bad. Those brave barbarians in that fought for their people and destroyed the Roman empire set the world back 500 years or so in terms of scientific development (except in a few areas). Bravery does sometimes do massively good things like the civil rights movement, but it also does things with massive negative consequences. Greed and self interest in our capitalist society generally improve our lot with a comparitively few negative consequences.

And yes. Creature comforts improve our lives. Medicine improves our lives. The internet improves our lives. Greed either built or commericialised these things to such an extent that you an I constantly enjoy the benefits.

I see the benefit of bravery very rarely. I see the benefit of greed every day.
No money, no honey
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Johnny the Bull wrote:I see the benefit of bravery very rarely.
You see them all the time; you simply do not percieve them.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Cain wrote:There's talk of reinstating the draft[...]
Only by the ignorant. That said, if we got to such a point where we need to draft, I would enlist.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

It's been introduced to the Senate by Hillary Clinton. It may not be likely to happen, but the legislation is being written.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

3278 wrote:
Johnny the Bull wrote:I see the benefit of bravery very rarely.
You see them all the time; you simply do not percieve them.
Name them. Open my eyes to the Truth.
No money, no honey
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

It's been introduced to the Senate by Hillary Clinton. It may not be likely to happen, but the legislation is being written.
Why on Earth would she, of all people, be introducing this legislation? I'm fairly confused now. More after I look into this, but I will say that I looked for something last week and only found reference to people protesting the re-instatement of the draft.

[Edit: spent a good fifteen minutes using Google and asking around at the more politically minded folks at work and have found no reference to actual legislation in production concerning the draft. The closest mention anyone knows about are various politicians saying that current troop requirements cannot be filled without instating a draft, which is arguable, as well as not being the only possible solution to the problem. So, yes it is "being discussed", but I don't think it's anywhere close to being something to worry about, unless by 'close' you mean "closer than it was two years ago".]
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

WillyGilligan wrote:
Why on Earth would she, of all people, be introducing this legislation?
Because if it gets through she can oppose it in 2008 when she runs for President, hoping fervently that people are too goddamn stupid to remember that she started the damn thing.

Not that it matters, anyway. What's happening is that the draft board's terms are up, and they have to be replaced, as happens every (seven, I believe) years. Democrats insinuate that this is a precursor to the draft on college campuses to scare kids my age into voting for them. I heard this from a USN captain, so I'm pretty sure my information is accurate.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Read Willy Gillian's edit two posts above.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

Salvation122 wrote:
WillyGilligan wrote:
Why on Earth would she, of all people, be introducing this legislation?
Because if it gets through she can oppose it in 2008 when she runs for President, hoping fervently that people are too goddamn stupid to remember that she started the damn thing.

Not that it matters, anyway. What's happening is that the draft board's terms are up, and they have to be replaced, as happens every (seven, I believe) years. Democrats insinuate that this is a precursor to the draft on college campuses to scare kids my age into voting for them. I heard this from a USN captain, so I'm pretty sure my information is accurate.
This reminds me of Kerry's quote, "And I will end the backdoor draft of the National Guard." In other words, he is claiming the National Guard is a draft, yet some Democrats claim Bush dodged the Vietnam draft by joining the National Guard. Interresting.
_
Rev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Rev »

In other words, he is claiming the National Guard is a draft, yet some Democrats claim Bush dodged the Vietnam draft by joining the National Guard. Interresting.
Notice how your sentence switches tense(not case!) half way through. Its just reality. During the vietnam war the national guard was a way to stay out of the war. Today it is a way to get into Iraq. The young george bushes of america are not joining the national guard today, it would be almost equivalent to volunteering for active military service. That is why there aren't long waiting lists daddy's friends can jump you to the front of.

The argument for a "back door draft" is basically that when you sign up for the national guard you are promised that you will only be called up for national defense and emergencies. It is easily arguable that the Iraq war isn't either of those, and thus you are being forced to serve in a way you did not agree too. However my impression is that only a minority of guard members feel this way.

I saw a little news item about contractors in Iraq a couple days ago. Interesting to think that the US really has tens of thousands more "troops" in Iraq than one would think by the military head count because of the way today we use so many more civillian contractors. There are something like 30k american civillians in Iraq serving food, driving trucks, etc. In vietnam almost all of those would have been draftees. They talked to some people interviewing for those sorts of jobs with a division of haliburton. Aparrantly they get paid 80-100k a year. Seems they find it to be well worth the risk. Certainly sounds more fair than drafting people for the same job, though it irks me to think of the defense contractors all taking thier cut and recycling it into campaign contributions.

I also saw one about military recruiting. Aparrantly they met thier goals for this year, and the trend for next year active duty recruting is fine, but the national guard recruiting looks to be in some trouble. They have some months of slack it sounded like because they sign people up for up to a year in the future (basically they have a backlog, and are rapidly eroding it in national guard recruitment).
_No, I'm not John Tynes.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

If you want a draft, take a look at the Pentagon's using stop-loss orders. Granted you volunteered for the duty, but to be told "Sorry mate, I know that your times up but you can't leave" has got to be more than a little annoying.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.