So, Martha?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Nash
Tasty Human

So, Martha?

Post by Nash »

Ljers who have me friended have already seen this, but I thought I'd open up the topic of Martha Stewart(As to the sign, it was a recent gift. My roommate and I also own matching "Free Martha" t-shirts.). Was it unjust? Is she just another celebrity given harsher treatment because of her celebrity status? And how do you feel about her double charge of "lying to the government"?

Btw, there is no nipple.

(Btw, I also, obviously, forgot to log out of my alt yet again, but this is Jet, if you had no idea by the preceding references.)
"I just don't want to die without a few scars, I say. It's nothing any more to have a beautiful stock body. You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealer's showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste."-Palahniuk
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

Personally, I could not care less what happens to Martha. Really, I don't care. I never could stand her anyway. Is she given harsher treatment because she is famous? A Celebrity? Is it unjust? In sort, yes. She's famous. So she's going to eat up news time like OJ and have all sorts of people coming out of the woodwork. If it was anyone else it wouldn't make the paper. That limelight puts a spotlight on the courts who have to at least act like they are doing their job.

Should she get special treatment because she is a celebrity? Fuck no. I find the whole concept of putting people on soap boxes for their acting, or talk shows, and so on to be plan nutty. There isn't a single celebrity in the world I want to meet. I find it silly when a celebrity walks down the street and people faint. Who cares? If Britney Spears knocked on my door at 8 in the morning I would open the door and ask "What the hell do you want at 8 in the morning?"

Back on topic. I haven't kept up with her court time or anything. Like I said, I couldn't care less wether she rots in prison or not. I do think she's getting special attention because she is famous and that fame causes the media to focus on her, which also focuses on the courts. So yes, she is getting different treatment.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

I just find it interesting how much more time Martha has gotten in the press than say, Ken Lay or any of the other robber baron CEOs of the past few years.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

also, I love how headlines says, "Ken Lay may get indicted"

Does this mean Lay won't get indicted?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Martha Stewart on life in prison wrote:So let me get this straight, I get up early, work in the kitchen, then I go out and get some exercise in the yard, later I make someone my bitch? This is different from my life now how?"

FREE Martha! :)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I think Martha is a whore, but that may just be me. The whole image she sold was utter bullshit. She came off with the attitude that if your house didn't look like hers, you were somehow a bad person. I swear, my mother had a nervous break down every Christmas because of that.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Uhm... question from the Euro... Who the fuck is Martha Stewart (No, seriously, I've heard the name, but that's about it)?
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

She's a whore. Did you miss that fact? :D

She's a former model who made an ass load of money telling stressed out house wives how they weren't good enough if they didn't have hand made table clothes. She recently got busted for insider trading, and the government is seriously sticking it to her. They're stretching the letter of the law, and it is kinda suspicious. I don't care though, I think she deserves it.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Serious Paul wrote:
Martha Stewart on life in prison wrote:So let me get this straight, I get up early, work in the kitchen, then I go out and get some exercise in the yard, later I make someone my bitch? This is different from my life now how?"

If that's a quote from Martha, I'll grow a beard.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Man even I know who she is ... The domestic queen and the punchline of endless late night jokes :D
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Who cares.... I mean if she was not "Martha Stewart" would anyone really give a shit?
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Eva wrote:
Serious Paul wrote:

If that's a quote from Martha, I'll grow a beard.
Fu-Manchu, goatee, or Grizzly Adams style?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

She broke the law, she got busted and she needs to do her time like anyone else would. *shrug* I fail to see a problem here.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

She broke the law, she got busted and she needs to do her time like anyone else would. *shrug* I fail to see a problem here
The problem is that there is some very real concern that some of these charges are trumped up. The prosecutor is going after her for everything under the sun, which as far as anyone can tell is unussual for this DA.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

It also falls into how the media keeps villanizing her. If there was as much attention to how bad Martha's character is for the Enron guys, they'd already be sentenced to the chair.

Martha made a lousy mistake. A $50,000 mistake. She fucked up. She's getting her time. What she shouldn't have done, was open her mouth. She should have waited until she spoke to her lawyers, rather than ran her mouth like a fool. They got her on 2 charges of "lying to the government," which is ridiculous. With all of her charges combined, if she got the maximum for each, she could spend up to 20 years in prison, no parole.

The issue and problem that I find with this is the way the media keeps making her out to be such a horrible person. Yes, she did make every woman second-guess her Christmas parties, but she had had a horrible divorce. Not like she wasn't second-guessing herself as well.

And yeah, she was crazily efficient and can do abso-fucking-lutely everything, but she doesn't deserve all of the media bad-mouthing her just because she made a stupid mistake. And even if she is a celebrity, she'll pay for what she did.
To be loved, you must be lovable.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

but she doesn't deserve all of the media bad-mouthing
Yes she does. :D
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

I wouldn't have gotten naked behind a sign supporting her if I thought she deserved to be bad-mouthed, but, to each his own. Some people hate her (and I do, in many ways), but others, like myself, have found that she made certain things beautiful and cherishable. Hell, if I ever get married, I will totally use her "romantic dinner table settings," esp. the one with the tiered candles and flower napkin holders. That woman could make a stamp pad and stamp out of a potato, a beet, olive oil and newspaper. She was amazing.

You gotta give at least /something/ up to the Stewart.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

I agree Jet, she should have kept her mouth shut. She herself knows better then to do something like that but she let her own ego step in the way. Does she deserve 20...FECK no. Does she deseve 3-5? yes. It was more then just a $50k mistake. Its not the dollar amount here in question its the fact she knowingly used insider info. That is all it should have been. I think they are being harsh because of the empire she has built around the image of the happy homemaker with perfect morals and here she is getting her hand caught in the cookie jar. Hell I had a subscription to MSL for several years. She was a bitch, but damn she had catering ideas that frcken worked. She is also an obsesive compulsive who turned it into an empire.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Hell I had a subscription to MSL for several years
Gaaaayyyyyy
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

heh. probably, but I still liked the articles. It was the pictures I could have done without.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I'm ambivalent on the thing. On one hand, Martha broke the law and needs to do her time, but on the other hand, some of those charges were really trumped up, and who wouldn't want to give Martha Stewart a nice punch in the gut?

On the other hand, it's my belief that Martha really just needs to put alcohol in all her recipes, drink a fifth of vodka (or more), and run around her backyard in her lingerie screaming, "No, no, no! I'm a good girl, really I am!" while throwing around dildos, then get a fuck buddy and calm down.

Reminder to self: Next time you get drunk at a BD meeting, do this Martha Stewart impression for laughs...but keep the clothes on.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

You know, I'd be much happier if she skipped all of that and just went straight for the fuck buddy.

If she followed my plan, I could be like, "Aww, Martha finally did good."

If she followed your plan, I'd be like, "God, Martha. Why don't you just fucking join the Hell's Angels and start sticking crack up your ass while you're at it."
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Apparently I'm behind the news on the extra charges being dished on her. I stopped paying attention when she finally went to court.

Martha has issues. She really does. Maybe if she hadn't built herself up to be an untouchable Goddess, then perhaps she wouldn't be getting it so hard up the ass without the lube and chamber music. She chose to be a bitch. She chose to break the law. She's paying for both. Should she have to pay for any trumped up charges? No one should.

Until I know more about these extra charges, I can't really say anything else.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Oh for fuck's sake. Everyone insider trades. Every now and then they need to charge someone with it so that it looks like the rest of the industry is clean, and Martha just happens to be a scapegoat for Azazel this year.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

Does anyone know the exact list of charges being brought against her? Like I said before, I never kept up with this mess. I do think it is a little excessive to get 20 years over 50,000 bucks. So I would like to know all the charges pending against her.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

JetPlane wrote:You know, I'd be much happier if she skipped all of that and just went straight for the fuck buddy.

If she followed my plan, I could be like, "Aww, Martha finally did good."

If she followed your plan, I'd be like, "God, Martha. Why don't you just fucking join the Hell's Angels and start sticking crack up your ass while you're at it."
Well, I'm just sayin' Martha's gotta loosen up a little and when it comes to that, alcohol would be her friend. I'm not suggesting that she get drunk and gang bang a bunch of bikers according to the exact specifications listed in the Sutra, but that sht just unwind sometime.

Because you know if she got a fuck buddy, she'd definitely be on top. With a whip. And an isntruction manual.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

ak404 wrote:Because you know if she got a fuck buddy, she'd definitely be on top. With a whip. And an isntruction manual.
The whip she would have braided herself using an ancient cowboy technique, out of leather she tanned herself after having butchered the cow herself (and having a big ol' barbecue for all her friends with the beef). And the instruction manual would be made out of hand-made paper crafted from wood pulp from the trees she grew in her back yard, written in ink she harvested from her squid farm with a fountain pen from 1892 that she bought at a neighbor's estate sale. ;)
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Eva

Post by Eva »

MooCow wrote:
Hell I had a subscription to MSL for several years
Gaaaayyyyyy
Heh.

Heheh.

Heheheh!

ROFL!
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Cash wrote:
Eva wrote:If that's a quote from Martha, I'll grow a beard.
Fu-Manchu, goatee, or Grizzly Adams style?
ZZ Top stylie. Sam has dibs on Big Abe, but ZZ's always been my preference.

I've been thinking recently about surprising my boyfriend by wearing a fake beard under the covers. I could pretend to be asleep already, only to show my new hairtoy when he kisses me. I think it would be most awesome.
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

That. Would rule. Please drop me a head's up and call me immediately after he finds your new furry friend. :lol
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut