John Edwards

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

John Edwards

Post by mrmooky »

So, yeah. For those of you who haven't heard, Edwards will be Kerry's running mate in the US election.

I'm wondering what people's opinions on Edwards are. Personally, I think Kerry is mad to not choose Clark or Nelson, but maybe American voters see something in Edwards that I don't. He certainly has a charisma that Kerry seems to lack. There's a lot of talk about Edwards's injecting some youthful vitality into the race... but the guy's 51!

I'm interested to hear what other people think of Edwards as a choice.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Ooh! I really like him since that piece in GQ last year. Vaps0rs.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Personally, I'm glad to see that Edwards was chosen, if only because of what he did for his state and what he wanted to do for the middle class, of which I am part of, even if it is the bottom of the lot. ;)

As for youthful, iirc, 51 is young for a Pres/VP candidate, and compared to Cheney, he IS young.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I think Edwards is just another rich white guy. No different from Kerry, or Bush, or Cheney, or any of the rest.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think he's a douche.

"I'm saying this to you, John Edward, you are a liar, you are a fake, and you are the biggest douche ever. Because the big questions in life are tough: Why are we here? Where are we from? Where are we going? But if people believe in asshole douchey liars like you, we're never gonna find the real answer to those questions. You aren't just lying, you're slowing down the progress of all mankind, you douche!"

Wait...John Edward/s/? Oh. Never heard of him.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

:crack :lol

That would be awesome! I would so vote for Kerry if he had John Edward as his running mate. Edward is such a fraud, which means he's be /perfect/ for politics.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I now have one lurid fantasy that has blown away all of the varied violence dreams and revenge fantasies of my wandering mind.

I want Edwards to get Cheney in a debate and beat the man to death. I want Cheney down on the ground, face purpled and gasping for breath from the verbal abuse Edwards heaps on him.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Damn. And I was starting to ponder Kerry. Sounds like a McCain write in for Teja this year.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Cazmonster wrote:I now have one lurid fantasy that has blown away all of the varied violence dreams and revenge fantasies of my wandering mind.

I want Edwards to get Cheney in a debate and beat the man to death. I want Cheney down on the ground, face purpled and gasping for breath from the verbal abuse Edwards heaps on him.
I don't know anyone who is as cool as Caz. :lol
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

You know - if they were to give us enough lead time on a Cheney/Edwards debate, I'm sure we could get a bunch of Bulldrekkers together and rent out one of those sports-bars with the big screens. Then, we could all sit back and watch the verbal manbeating.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Daki - you're an evil evil man. Some day, some glorious day, The Man is going to outsource your job to Pakistan.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

I'm seeing something about a letter of the alphabet...maybe a number...maybe both? Right and now it's an animal, vegetable or a mineral, perhaps all three combined...
Mjelvis
Bulldrekker

Post by Mjelvis »

John Edward looks like a grown-up Deev.
_
<input type="submit" value="Dominate"/>
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Bwack-ack-ack. :lol

Cheney would whup Edwards ass. Well his secret army of men in black helicopters would hire peopel to do it. :)
Kick Rocks
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

When they announced that on the news today, I was like, "WHAT?! The crazy psychic dude is going for vice president? Against Bush? Ah crap. I'm glad I can't vote." Then I realized it wasnt him.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Mjelvis wrote:John Edward looks like a grown-up Deev.
According to some that's a contradictio in termini.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

He looks pretty young, even thou he is apparently 51. Working class that became rich by being a lawyer (isn't that the american dream? rags to riches). Being a lawyer he should be one hell of a speaker so I recon he could utterly annihilate Cheney in the VP debate from a retorical standpoint, if it was vs Bush it would be a complete slaughter.

They say he doesn't have any experience beyond senator. We'll Bush didn't have any either besides being Gov of Texas and having a father that was VP and Pres.

Heard the gasps on FOX last night about how horribly liberal he was, no 1 liberal in the country etc blah blah blah ... Kerry was apparently no 4, wonder who's 2 and 3.

But doesn't he have that kind of "man-of-the-people" kind of thing that Bush had last election and Clinton before him? He appears to be some kind of likable family guy. Naturally that could just be the "ordinary" politicall fake thing but still.

Would McCain have been a better choice? Sure but he didn't want to.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

The man is a good public speaker. I'm just not convinced he can make a big difference, although I have been told that the VP only has a small impact at best in the presidential race.

He is certainly /no where near/ as good as Dick Cheney. That dude can speak, as well as possessing decades of experience as a public servant in damn near every capacity. When it comes to the debate Cheney will tear Edwards a new one. I am sure that on the day of the debate Edwards will be the one pushing brown.

Then again, I think Kerry has enough experience as a statesman that he doesn't need an experienced running mate, only someone that can act as a spokesperson. Bush, having not as much experience needed someone like Cheney.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

edwards can go to hell. I say this as a poor Norht Carolina taxpayer(or...avoider..:D). He's got a bad record as the senator for North Carolina, having been absent on numerous votes and sessions. Bad record period. so he's cute. Fucking a.

He's a piece of eastern country shit. Go to hell, slavedriver.

However, he does brign the southern bloc closer to Kerry, being that he is a *real* southern boy, not like Bush. And he may just win alot of the female votes. Fucker. It's a good veep choice. If I was Kerry, I woulda done it.
Allahu Akbar
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

Picking Edwards definately shows Kerry's views on HMOs.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

However, he does brign the southern bloc closer to Kerry, being that he is a *real* southern boy, not like Bush. And he may just win alot of the female votes. Fucker. It's a good veep choice. If I was Kerry, I woulda done it.
I think it's a common mistake to think that Edwards is there to help Kerry win the south. Kerry's written off the south. Edwards couldn't win re-election to his Senate seat, much less win southern states in the presidential election. He tanked there in the primaries. Edwards is there to play to blue collars in states like OH and PA. He's going to drop any trace of liberalism from his image (which will be hard) and go play Walmart-shopper-made-good in battleground states, pretending to be a lower class boy who's out there fighting for his neighbors.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I agree with Marius.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

ImageImage

:lol
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I like that they can laugh at themselves with the "Not Exclusive". That's cool.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

Cazmonster wrote: Some day, some glorious day, The Man is going to outsource your job to Pakistan.
Yeah okay, so I join the party unfashionably late, either way Caz deserves the props for that smackdown. :lol
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson