The Antichrist?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

The Antichrist?

Post by Buzzed »

Is it possible for the Pope or a future Pope to be the Antichrist?
_
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I don't think so. You see, the Antichrist is going to be popular and marketable and likeable (despite being everything Christ would never be) to a lot of fanatical believers who'd otherwise be total losers if they didn't have a cause - that's why he's gonna be the Antichrist. He's gonna give their lives false meaning.

I mean, when's the last time a large number of people could call themselves fanatical believers of a Pope who acted nothing like Christ?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Ummmm..... Why wouldn't it be?
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Ak: easy. Crusades.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

<Song Class="Mel Brooks"> The Inquisition... what a show, the Inquisition, here we go... </Song>
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Check out the middle ages. Kings and princes would plot, scheme and murder to get their people made Pope. Back then they had enormous temporal power and influence and nearly everyone believed in the chruch.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

ak404 wrote:I mean, when's the last time a large number of people could call themselves fanatical believers of a Pope who acted nothing like Christ?
:lol

Oh, wait. You /are/ joking, right?
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Re: The Antichrist?

Post by mrmooky »

Buzzed wrote:Is it possible for the Pope or a future Pope to be the Antichrist?
If it were the current Pope, it would be a pretty anticlimactic reign of terror.

I'm sure it would be theoretically possible for a future Pope to become the Antichrist, but I suspect one of the world's billion or so Catholics might figure it out, and alert the rest. So I don't think he'd be a very good Antichrist.

It amuses me that American Christians always assume it is a foreigner who will be the Antichrist. In reality, if you're looking for a figure with millions of blind and unconditional followers, who claims to be religious and is a political power with global influence, you need look no further than your own President.

You wouldn't like that one, now, would you, Buzzed?
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Unless...you're reading Demons and Angels by Dan Brown, the author who wrote Da Vinci Code :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

In order for the Pope to be the Antichrist, there would have to be a really evil Pope, but there would also have to be such a thing as an Antichrist. If there is such a thing as an Antichrist, it could only be because there's a Christ, right? You know - the whole, no dark without light, no "wrong" if there's no "right" sorta deal. So, I guess it's pretty subjective. I think there's as much chance of the Pope being the Antichrist as me being the Antichrist. It would really matter your faith. If you're blind, there's no sheep. If you're deaf, there's no sopranos. If you're a fish, there's no McDonalds. So, if you're faithless, then the Pope would just be a really bad, bad man. Y'know?

Fast food is evil anyways. The way I see it, the fish have it pretty damned good.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Wow. Just read that. I am seriously on crack.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I take it we are assuming the Book of Revelations was predicting the future and not a historical document?
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

ak404 wrote:I don't think so. You see, the Antichrist is going to be popular and marketable and likeable (despite being everything Christ would never be) to a lot of fanatical believers who'd otherwise be total losers if they didn't have a cause - that's why he's gonna be the Antichrist. He's gonna give their lives false meaning.
OH MY GOD! It's David Beckham .....
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

That - was fucking funny. *mad props* :lol
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

mrmooky wrote:
If it were the current Pope, it would be a pretty anticlimactic reign of terror.
:lol :lol :lol
mrmooky wrote:It amuses me that American Christians always assume it is a foreigner who will be the Antichrist.
The Bible says so.
mrmooky wrote:In reality, if you're looking for a figure with millions of blind and unconditional followers, who claims to be religious and is a political power with global influence, you need look no further than your own President.
Well, that's cute, lorg - I mean, Mooky - but those aren't the defining characteristics of the antichrist.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Funny thing is this. The Antichrist wouldn't be evil, nor conscious of the fact that he is the Antichrist. All he has to be is some idiot with a lot of good intentions and not a whole lot of common sense.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

lorg wrote:
ak404 wrote:I don't think so. You see, the Antichrist is going to be popular and marketable and likeable (despite being everything Christ would never be) to a lot of fanatical believers who'd otherwise be total losers if they didn't have a cause - that's why he's gonna be the Antichrist. He's gonna give their lives false meaning.
I was thinking the same thing. :grin:
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

MissTeja wrote:In order for the Pope to be the Antichrist, there would have to be a really evil Pope, but there would also have to be such a thing as an Antichrist. If there is such a thing as an Antichrist, it could only be because there's a Christ, right? You know - the whole, no dark without light, no "wrong" if there's no "right" sorta deal. So, I guess it's pretty subjective. I think there's as much chance of the Pope being the Antichrist as me being the Antichrist. It would really matter your faith. If you're blind, there's no sheep. If you're deaf, there's no sopranos. If you're a fish, there's no McDonalds. So, if you're faithless, then the Pope would just be a really bad, bad man. Y'know?

Fast food is evil anyways. The way I see it, the fish have it pretty damned good.
I think you need some more sleep there, Teja. Damn. ;)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

ak404 wrote:Funny thing is this. The Antichrist wouldn't be evil, nor conscious of the fact that he is the Antichrist. All he has to be is some idiot with a lot of good intentions and not a whole lot of common sense.
AK, are you operating on some non-Christian notion of the antichrist?
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

3278 wrote:
mrmooky wrote:It amuses me that American Christians always assume it is a foreigner who will be the Antichrist.
The Bible says so.
Does it also say foreign from whom? After all the bible is not an American book to start with, or are we talking about your highly personal and very own one and true Bible interpretation now?
3278 wrote:
mrmooky wrote:In reality, if you're looking for a figure with millions of blind and unconditional followers, who claims to be religious and is a political power with global influence, you need look no further than your own President.
Well, that's cute, lorg - I mean, Mooky - but those aren't the defining characteristics of the antichrist.
Oh that is nice, now you can't even tell us appart. BTW I don't think Bush is the antichrist.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Oh that is nice, now you can't even tell us appart. BTW I don't think Bush is the antichrist.
He's not? Well fuck. Maybe I'll vote for Kerry afterall.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

lorg wrote:Does it also say foreign from whom? After all the bible is not an American book to start with, or are we talking about your highly personal and very own one and true Bible interpretation now?
Yes, that's exactly it. :cute Chill, dude.

My impression has always been that the antichrist will rise in the Middle East. Now, that impression may certainly be influenced by the fact that the Bible's authors thought the Middle East was the whole world, so perhaps I'm incorrect. As I say, this is just my impression. I don't actually have my own Bible. [Yet.]

For that matter, as far as the Bible is concerned, anyone who doesn't accept Jesus is the son of God carries with them the spirit of the antichrist. Which is cool.
lorg wrote:Oh that is nice, now you can't even tell us appart.
Oh, I can tell you apart. [Usually.] I was being funny. Ha ha ha.

So, this discussion has gotten about as far as it can get without recourse to the Bible. Anyone want to actually turn to it for information?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Not really ;)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

mrmooky wrote:

I'm sure it would be theoretically possible for a future Pope to become the Antichrist, but I suspect one of the world's billion or so Catholics might figure it out, and alert the rest. So I don't think he'd be a very good Antichrist.

It amuses me that American Christians always assume it is a foreigner who will be the Antichrist. In reality, if you're looking for a figure with millions of blind and unconditional followers, who claims to be religious and is a political power with global influence, you need look no further than your own President.

You wouldn't like that one, now, would you, Buzzed?
Too many people hate Bush to even remotely qualify as the Antichrist.

Santa Clause is a much better bet.
_
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Silly people. It's so obvious. Colin Powell must be the antichrist.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

3278 wrote:
ak404 wrote:Funny thing is this. The Antichrist wouldn't be evil, nor conscious of the fact that he is the Antichrist. All he has to be is some idiot with a lot of good intentions and not a whole lot of common sense.
AK, are you operating on some non-Christian notion of the antichrist?
No, I'm operating on the priciple that people, on the whole, aren't consciously evil for evil's sake, and people who are don't get a big following. Mostly people who do evil acts do it for things like money, sex, fear, or power; they generally don't think "I shall do this for my lord Satan."
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

No, they think "I serve YOU, my dark master. Aaaaaaaaaand Satan!"
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Buzzed wrote:Too many people hate Bush to even remotely qualify as the Antichrist.
I'm not saying Bush is the Antichrist. In fact, I believe that, according to the Bible, the Antichrist will deny that Christ rose from death, which rules Bush out. Still, it's much more likely that there will be a non-Christian American President than a non-Christian Pope, and so I'm saying a future President is worth considering.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

Pah. Everyone knows the antichrist will be a lawyer.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I daresay that the Antichrist will be the host of a reality TV show.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

3278 wrote:For that matter, as far as the Bible is concerned, anyone who doesn't accept Jesus is the son of God carries with them the spirit of the antichrist. Which is cool.
:evil Sweet! It could be me! :evil

ak404 wrote:I daresay that the Antichrist will be the host of a reality TV show.
What will it be called? Highway to hell?
Nightsky wrote:Pah. Everyone knows the antichrist will be a lawyer.
John Edwards?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

ak404 wrote:No, I'm operating on the priciple that people, on the whole, aren't consciously evil for evil's sake, and people who are don't get a big following. Mostly people who do evil acts do it for things like money, sex, fear, or power; they generally don't think "I shall do this for my lord Satan."
I am completely unqualified to speak of the motives of people who pursue evil for anything other than evil's own sake. I do not doubt that you are correct, I simply cannot understand them.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

C'mon, the antichrist is Eminem. Seriously. The combination of white-trash and rap? An unbeatable cornucopia of eeeeevil. If Bush wants to do a really, really good deed, he'll send Eminem to fucking Camp X-ray for "processing" <hem hem>. No human rights organization in the world will care. In fact... They may even applaud him.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Nightsky wrote:Pah. Everyone knows the antichrist will be a lawyer.
[Hushed tones]Yes brother, he knows too much... I agree... Lets get him...[/hushed tones]

Mr Nightsky, this is a court order for you to follow us into this nice soundproof cube shaped space hereafter referred to as the "room".

*BLAM*
No money, no honey
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

The Antichrist could be an organisation that unifies all the nations of the world. The Roman empire could be argued to have been one of six former Antichrists that failed.
_
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Buzzed wrote:The Antichrist could be an organisation that unifies all the nations of the world. The Roman empire could be argues to have been one of six former Antichrists that failed.
Here's a way out thought. Maybe the bible is a crock of shit and there will be no antichrist. Ever. ;)
No money, no honey
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's impossible! God told us so!
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

Johnny the Bull wrote:Here's a way out thought. Maybe the bible is a crock of shit and there will be no antichrist. Ever. ;)
Whoah dude. That's deep. Your wisdom and insight amazes me.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Allright...this has gone on long enough. I admit it...it's me. Yeah, i'm the Anti-christ. I could easily give you a whole slew of references, but everytime I pick up that infernal Bible, my hands burst in to flames. WhodaThunk?

B. Gates
www.microsoft.com
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Buzzed wrote:The Antichrist could be an organisation that unifies all the nations of the world. The Roman empire could be argued to have been one of six former Antichrists that failed.
And that sounds way too much like the "Left Behind" series where the Antichrist is the head of the UN. (Thank you, American bias against the UN.)
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I have reliable information that Ampere is not the Antichrist, however I do have evidence that implicates Alfred E. Neuman...
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Serious Paul wrote:I have reliable information that Ampere is not the Antichrist, however I do have evidence that implicates Alfred E. Neuman...
Ok, you got me...I was anti-christ last term. This term which started a few weeks ago gave rise to a New Anti-christ...Alfred E. Neuman. This term is only 6 months, so this Yule we'll have another Anti-christ.

I have heard that Bishop is getting good returns at the primaries. That's right, our own Bishop is going strong in the runoff for Anti-christ 2005!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Normally I'd voe Veed....but in this case....
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

I need photoshop skills.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Don't see why it couldn't be the Pope. The idea is that the anti-Christ gets a following which will put the souls of people in jepordy and all that. The pope wouldn't be a bad goal to go for, because quite simply, the Catholics have to be the most intollerant bunch of people to follow someone who said, "Love everyone," that have ever walked the face of the plannet, with the exception of Bible-belt America.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Bishop wrote:I need photoshop skills.
Who needs photoshop? :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I think it would be funny if it turned out the Osmonds were somehow involved with the Antichrist. I really do.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Depending on who you talk to, they are. I know some quote-unquote "TRUE" Christians who swear that Mormonism is a demonic cult.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

lordhellion wrote:Depending on who you talk to, they are. I know some quote-unquote "TRUE" Christians who swear that Mormonism is a demonic cult.
w00t, my relatives are demon cultists!
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

As are mine. Who accuse my Wiccan mom and sister of being demonic cultists themselves.

Everyone is someone else's scapegoat...
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.