Newsweek: Innocents Abroad

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Okay, more Americans should come over to Europe to see how things work here. That way it would free up a lot of jobs in the States for those legal/illegal aliens wanting to work there.
Oh, no doubt. Next time I'm unemployed and uncertain, I'll just move to Germany and hop on the end of an unemployment line.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

On the flip side Angel, I get 12 paid holidays, barely do anything at work (most of the time) and I average 60 plus paid vacation days a year. I could do as many as well whats 500 hours?

I have full medical too. And I'm not even rich at all. I'm lower middle class.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Angel wrote:Sometimes I have to wonder what the average American worker thinks she/he is getting in return for allowing (voting for) the Democrats and Republicans to rule over them in the way that they do.

What good comes for the Military-Industrial-Complex (or the welfare state)? Who benefits? Has the average worker really gained anything other than access to a deeper credit debt? Big money isn't everything, and the projects that are "in the best interests" of the people don't seem to be on the agenda of any major politican in America.

At least in some European countries, if the populous is outraged about something that their elected officials have then their protests are actually heard. In America the only voice that is heard is the one which speaks in dollars.

If I were still in America I would be depressed over the apparent lack of empowerment that the people have, and America is supposedly the cornerstone of democracy, a government of the people, by the people, for the people... and it's people have lined up to sell their freedom and best interests for nothing more than a few pennies which were borrowed from the rich.
It is something that keeps me up late at night.

Beware the generalizations ;)
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Angel wrote:If I were still in America I would be depressed over the apparent lack of empowerment that the people have, and America is supposedly the cornerstone of democracy, a government of the people, by the people, for the people... and it's people have lined up to sell their freedom and best interests for nothing more than a few pennies which were borrowed from the rich.
That's the trick, though, you see: it's what the people have consistantly voted for, what they've consistantly chosen. They've exchanged their rights for government benefits, so they don't have to be responsible for as many things. The government isn't the bad guy in this situation: it's the people who have chosen the government, and allowed it to do the things it's done. I think it's sad, too.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

3278 wrote: That's the trick, though, you see: it's what the people have consistantly voted for, what they've consistantly chosen. They've exchanged their rights for government benefits, so they don't have to be responsible for as many things. The government isn't the bad guy in this situation: it's the people who have chosen the government, and allowed it to do the things it's done. I think it's sad, too.
But do we really have a choice? Usually when I go to the voting booth it is "the lesser of two evils" style voting, which sucks a bag of dicks.
-Big Jim
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

A choice that sucks is still a choice.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Serious Paul wrote:A choice that sucks is still a choice.
True dat. I guess I am asking too much to actually have competent honest people running things.

That really wouldn't work in DC.
-Big Jim
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

You get what you pay for. The people you want are off making 10 times as much in private enterprise.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

The glass seems to be half empty in this thread. I am glad I don't have any one of you people as my roomate.

America doesn't suck, dispite how cool it is to say that America does suck.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Quiet, you. My life sucks, so America must suck.

Err, no . . . wait. My life is great. Yeah, that's it. My life is great, so America must suck. Because somebody's life sucks, and a just and loving God . . . err, I mean 'country' - a just and loving country wouldn't allow life to suck for some people.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

A loving country would not allow their own citizens to get blown up.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Instant Cash wrote:But do we really have a choice? Usually when I go to the voting booth it is "the lesser of two evils" style voting, which sucks a bag of dicks.
The government is "of the people, for the people, by the people." If you don't like your choices, you change them, either by finding a better choice and pressing that person into service, or by being a better choice yourself. In America, we've forgotten - or never knew - that.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

3278 wrote:The government is "of the people, for the people, by the people." If you don't like your choices, you change them, either by finding a better choice and pressing that person into service, or by being a better choice yourself. In America, we've forgotten - or never knew - that.

How very idealistic of you, 32.

---------

Well, as far as going to the US is concerned, you can actually get a tourist visa for quite some time. Also, there are plenty of internships available- some paid and some not. For all those Euros who think it's so easy for Americans to come over, as I see it, it's just as easy for you to do the same.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Also, there are plenty of internships available- some paid and some not.
Except that doesn't guarantee you a student visa. Ohio State, as well as several other universities, has had some severe problems in the past few years getting their interns because the state department refuses to issue them Visas.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Liniah wrote:How very idealistic of you, 32.
Idealism can be very, very practical, if you choose to make it that way.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

As previously mentioned the reason why I don't do 6 months in the states is that getting a green card is a bitch. It does appear that the only real way to do it would be to start working for an international company over here and eventually transfer. You could also take part in that stupid green card lottery thing they have, but from what I have heard the odds of winning one there is on a lottery scale.

So if you want to get in you might as well run across the rio.

There have been a lot of talk from various universities that they have a harder time now to attract foreign students, probably due to visa problems and also the current political climate. Talked to the student service people where I work a few days ago and apparently we have trippled the amount of applications from foreign students for the next semester.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Chopper wrote:The glass seems to be half empty in this thread. I am glad I don't have any one of you people as my roomate.

America doesn't suck, dispite how cool it is to say that America does suck.
I never said America sucks. I said the government is a steaming pile of horse dung. I actually like the states, there are some very pretty and nice places to live.
Liniah wrote:Well, as far as going to the US is concerned, you can actually get a tourist visa for quite some time. Also, there are plenty of internships available- some paid and some not.
Yes, but this requires living on very low funds and losing my job. Sorry but I honestly /like/ having money to you know, do things. I know, how very capitalist of me. ;)
-Big Jim
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Serious Paul wrote:Europeans: DV8, Twisted Sister, lorg, Flak, Toryu, Angel ( I think) Eva, Veed, TLM and a couple of others...
Don't forget Marius. :)
\m/
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

:crack
-Big Jim
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'll be the first to ask.

Is Rochester/Buffalo New York in Europe? 'Cause otherwise we're keeping him.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Serious Paul wrote:Well core regular posters that I know for sure:

Americans: 3278, Serious Paul, Daki, Gunny, ak404, Slavation 122, MissTeja, MooCow, Cipher (I think), Scamp, Buzzed, JetPlane, FlameBlade, Eliahad, Liniah(When she's here :) ) Jeff, Kai, Marius, Bethyaga, Cain,Instant Cash, Jaded, Cash, Caz, Thorn etc...

Canadians: Adam, Szechuan, I know there are more

Aussies: JTB, Lady Jestyr, Mr. Mooky , Crone, SoWhat, a few others I am sure.

Europeans: DV8, Twisted Sister, lorg, Flak, Toryu, Angel ( I think) Eva, Veed, TLM and a couple of others...

I know I missed a bunch.
I count as European? I'm an American living in Europe, but if you're going to give me another nationality make it Canadian Babe! :)
Last edited by Angel on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Like I said I knew I had some wrong...
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Instant Cash wrote:
Liniah wrote:Well, as far as going to the US is concerned, you can actually get a tourist visa for quite some time. Also, there are plenty of internships available- some paid and some not.
Yes, but this requires living on very low funds and losing my job. Sorry but I honestly /like/ having money to you know, do things. I know, how very capitalist of me. ;)
Dude, not you, people going to the US.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Well even living in the US isn't cheap. Plus now adays getting VISAs isn't like it used to be.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Serious Paul wrote:I'll be the first to ask.

I'll fight you for it. ;o)
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Eva wrote:
Serious Paul wrote:I'll be the first to ask.

I'll fight you for it. ;o)

Oooooo, CAGE MATCH!
-Big Jim