Congratulations to the Cassini team

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ares
Tasty Human

Congratulations to the Cassini team

Post by Ares »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you looking at?
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Wait, we made into Saturn's orbit and the rings still look like groves in an LP? Does that make any sense?
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, the particles that make up the rings are moving at several thousand miles per hour, in orbit around the planet. In order to resolve detail, Cassini would need to match their speed; I'm uncertain if that's planned. It would be spectacularly difficult, however.

I'm still holding out hope Huygens will find life on Titan.
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

I'm still holding out hope that Cassini won't crash into Titan, this is NASA, after all...
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Huygens is an ESA craft. So unless NASA fucked up something fierce on their orbit calculations (or whatever) Cassini crashing into Titan is highly unlikely. Then again... this is NASA....
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

Wait, we made into Saturn's orbit and the rings still look like groves in an LP? Does that make any sense?
Well, various parts of the ring have spaces caused by the planet's pull or something or other. Plus, they believe the rings were caused by its massive gravitational pull and therefore, dragging in previous moons or other large bodies into the surface and breaking them into many, many pieces and then keeping the debris because the pull rocks that hard. Anyway, they're supposed to be there.
To be loved, you must be lovable.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

JetPlane wrote:Well, various parts of the ring have spaces caused by the planet's pull or something or other.
The gravitational pull of the so-called "shepherd moons."
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I'm naming mine Alan.

*ahem*
From here...
Much of the elaborate structure of the rings is due to gravitational effects of nearby satellites. This phenomenon is demonstrated by the relationship between the F-ring and two small moons Prometheus and Pandora that shepherd the ring material. The F-ring shows a complex structure made up of two narrow, braided, bright rings along which "knots" are visible. Scientists speculate that the knots may be clumps of ring material, or mini moons.

More here also...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

:lol

Thanks Cash...silly me...
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.