pop or soda?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

pop or soda?

Post by FlameBlade »

_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

I'm going against my state to say, "SODA!"
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Intresting. I must be one of the few people in my county that says Soda.

Thanks, Meri and I got a big kick out of this.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Heh. Funny. Both places I lived, the map was on target. Here in MI, I call it "pop," but when I moved to Virginia Beach, I got into the habit of calling it "soda." It took awhile when I moved back, but now I'm back to good old "pop" again. :)
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Nightsky
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

I wonder what the hell that lttle county in Texas call their generic drinks?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

If you click on the state it gives you county by county break down.

Only 22 people in my county responded to this poll.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Nightsky wrote:I wonder what the hell that lttle county in Texas call their generic drinks?
beer...of course its Texas :cute
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

Figures.

And only 4 people in my county responded. :cool
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Funny. Every county I've ever lived in is "pop" on the map, but I've always used "soda".
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

I use coke. It has so many meanings to begin with.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Soda! Although the curse of the Midwest slips out and I occasionally say pop. :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Pop? POP!?! What?! Sounds like popsicle not a drink. Why not just call it Fizzy or Carbo ...
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

Funny Meericans . :) It's Fizzy Drink! And Coke means Pepsi or Coke, just like Hoover means vacumn cleaner regardless of brand. :roll
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I use coke. It has so many meanings to begin with.
I tend to do that as well. Other then that, I think I interchange Pop and Soda fairly evenly.
Pop? POP!?! What?! Sounds like popsicle not a drink. Why not just call it Fizzy or Carbo ...
Because those are even stupider names? :D
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I should start saying soda-pop just to fuck with their figures a bit. Still, the map looks approx. correct.

It'd be interesting to consider the green versus RC Cola distribution areas.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I have never seen such a bizarre study, let alone on that makes everyone I know freaking beserk as to what the "proper" answer is. Man, I've got werd friends.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Soda. We also just called it Soda-Pop.
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

In most places I've been to in Texas (80% of the state), Coca-Cola is the Water of Life. So, if you ask them what they call their sodas, they say "Coke" because that's what's mostly consumed. Now, if you ask them something like "What do you call the carbonated beverages you drink?", you'll get a response of "Coke, Pepsi, Sprite... depends on what I'm drinking."

In my experience, I've found that Texans tend not to lump all drinks into either "Soda" or "Pop". Instead, they call it by what they're drinking. This change of pace took a lot to get used to in Illinois. I'd hear "What do you want to drink?" and hear "Pop." as a response, but no specification of WHAT kind. Is it really that difficult to respond with the brand name instead of a generic "Pop"?

Yankees. :cute

:p
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

I just wanna know which 9 assholes in my county called it "Pop" and whether or not they went to Fredonia for college. It's soda, thanks much.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

It's almost 50/50 pop to soda in my county. Funny though, I never hear anybody refer to it a soda.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

SODA. And like I've always said, Pittsburg might as well be part of the mid-west. Damn pop-callers...look at how PA is divided...it devides like that a lot. Anyway, 468 people in my county said soda! Woot!
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

at 120,464 respondants, I am suspecting this map is fairly inaccurate. But yeah, my county is correct.
Nash
Tasty Human

Post by Nash »

Why in the world would you call it "soda"? Soda is a different kind of drink than Coca-Cola. It's "a refreshment made from carbonated water, ice cream, and usually a flavoring." Cream Soda, chocolate soda, cherry soda. Coca-cola will
never be soda! Always Pop!
"I just don't want to die without a few scars, I say. It's nothing any more to have a beautiful stock body. You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealer's showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste."-Palahniuk
Ancient History
Demon

Then, of course, there's Moxie. Which really deserves it's own category.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

Soda.
_
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Nash wrote:Why in the world would you call it "soda"? Soda is a different kind of drink than Coca-Cola. It's "a refreshment made from carbonated water, ice cream, and usually a flavoring." Cream Soda, chocolate soda, cherry soda. Coca-cola will
Soda Pop. Isn't that the words origin? Am I totally wrong here?

Also didn't Soda fountains once serve Cokes?
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Ancient History wrote:I should start saying soda-pop just to fuck with their figures a bit.
No.

No.

NEIN!

NON!

Do. Not. Call. It. "Soda-Pop". It makes me
IRRATIONALLY
A N G R Y

:plode

Thank you. Buh-bye.
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Can I just call it 'cola', 'root beer', 'mountain dew', or 'etc'? Which is what I usually do...
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Now how many submitted to the site after reading this thread? :D
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

If you put ice cream in it, then it is called "An ice cream soda". So no, soda doesnt have ice cream, it has to be added, which then turns it into the above.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Here are the figures for Cook County in Illinois (Cook county is where Chicago is located):

County Total Pop Coke Soda Other
Cook 3420 2613 140 617 50

In a county of about 4-5 million people... 3,000 responded. Yeesh. But the numbers are about right. Pop is the definitive term in this area.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Nash wrote:Why in the world would you call it "soda"? Soda is a different kind of drink than Coca-Cola. It's "a refreshment made from carbonated water, ice cream, and usually a flavoring." Cream Soda, chocolate soda, cherry soda. Coca-cola will
Those things, as you note, are "cream" soda, "chocolate" soda, and so on, as Chopper mentioned. [Man, do you guys never log out? :) ] Technically, a "soda" is any chemical compound containing sodium. Today's soft drinks are technically only sodas because sodium is added, but originally, that's how they got the carbon dioxide bubbles in: add sodium bicarb[onate] to lemonade or orange juice, and the citric acid reacts with the sodium bicarb to produce CO2 fizz.

I shouldn't say that. "Originally," what we now call soda water didn't have any sodium in it at all, because it was made simply by pouring water back and forth from one glass to another in the nine-inch layer of what they called "fixed air" on top of beer vats. The person who first made it, Joseph Priestly, was doing all kinds of experiments with the "fixed air" - which we now call carbon dioxide - mostly because he was trying to make money, and couldn't, because his vocation was as a preacher, which he did quite badly on account of his stammer. Not mostly, I suppose: mostly, he was, in the fashion of the day, just playing around with science. He independantly discovered oxygen, for instance. Good guy, if a bit of a creep. [He was eventually driven out of Leeds in the notorious and ill-mannered Priestly Riots, named after him although his role in causing them was quite minimal.] This water would best be described not as "soda," but rather as "carbonated." [See, "carbon?" Get it? These names all mean things.]

Priestly tried to interest the Admirality in his water as a cure for scurvy, but they were not interested, so he took his idea to the spas of the day, who ate it up [in somewhat mixed metaphor].

Around this time - the late 18th century, I guess? - Britain was opening up huge swaths of India for use as plantations, because they'd run out of room to grow things at home, and thus colonized the rest of the world to exploit their resources. Unfortunately, opening up the jungle meant that streams which had previously been too cold for mosquitoes were now being warmed by the sun, and thus mosquito populations soared, including - and I bet you saw this coming - the Anopheles. Thus malaria - which, at the time, they thought was caused by rotting vegetation; "mal aria" means "bad air" in Italian - began to devastate the British forces in the colony; their life expectancy was half what it would have been if they'd stayed in Britain.

The only "cure" for malaria was powder from the inside of the bark of the cinchona tree, called quinine. It tasted absolutely abysmal. So someone thought, "Hey, let's put some of it in Priestly's water!" [Not his personal water; he was dead 40 or 50 years by this point.] So they added the quinine to the soda, which they referred to as "tonic water," since it was supposed to have curative properties. [It doesn't.] This was still horrible, so some unnamed hero thought, brilliantly, "We'll just add a spot of gin!" Thus was born the gin and tonic.

I don't know where the hell the word "pop" comes from, but it's the word I use.
Ancient History
Demon

My grandfather still drinks quinine water (or what passes for it these days).

The term "pop" came about in 1861. It applied to soft drinks in 1892 when William Painter patented a 'Crown Cork Bottle Seal' to prevent CO2 from escaping the drinks (hence it "popped" when opened.)

Also, Ginger Ale was invented in Ireland; Dr. Pepper (1881) preceeded Coke (1886) which preceeded Pepsi (1898); and 7-Up was originally known as "Bib-labal lithiated lemon-lime soda."
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ancient History wrote:The term "pop" came about in 1861. It applied to soft drinks in 1892 when William Painter patented a 'Crown Cork Bottle Seal' to prevent CO2 from escaping the drinks (hence it "popped" when opened.)
Ah! Excellent. Thank you, AH.
Ancient History
Demon

Welcome.
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

I call it soda mostly because when I think of the word pop I ususally attach it to one of the words for father and well I don't want to drink something that could be thought of as a father. Of course I'm just wierd like that. :D
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Ancient History
Demon

Weird.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

So they added the quinine to the soda, which they referred to as "tonic water," since it was supposed to have curative properties. [It doesn't.]
It sure fucking does. Lots of sugar, lots of calories, and a bit of quinine. I'm not sure what the quinine does, but I've definitely helped myself survive some particularly nasty mornings with the sugary tonic as sustenance. Granted, the nastiness of the mornings had more than a little to do with the tonic, but that doesn't dilute my drink, does it?
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Sowhat
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sowhat »

We call it "soft-drink". I know that the term technically means any non-alcoholic drink, but if you were to offer someone soft-drink here they'd be very suprised if you gave them milk, cordial, water, coffee, tea, or anything else that isn't carbonated.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Marius wrote:
So they added the quinine to the soda, which they referred to as "tonic water," since it was supposed to have curative properties. [It doesn't.]
It sure fucking does. Lots of sugar, lots of calories, and a bit of quinine. I'm not sure what the quinine does, but I've definitely helped myself survive some particularly nasty mornings with the sugary tonic as sustenance.
Ah-ah. No. "Tonic water" is just water with bubbles. [I sure /hope/ your tonic doesn't still come with quinine, since that would make it taste more awful, and wouldn't do anything for you, unless you're in a malarial area.] I'm sure there are various /types/ of tonic water that come with sugar, or quinine [although tonic with quinine is "quinine water"] but tonic water is, to my knowledge, just the stuff Priestly made: water with CO2 bubbles in it.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

Didn't coke have real cocaine in it during the early 1900s?
Alareth
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Alareth »

Bouncy Bubble Beverage
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"Society without religion is like a psychopath without a gun"
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Nightsky wrote:Didn't coke have real cocaine in it during the early 1900s?
Sort of. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.