[poll]Who ya voting for?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Nash
Tasty Human

[poll]Who ya voting for?

Post by Nash »

I saw Fahrenheit 911 the day it came out and it was sold out in every theater in Memphis for the 12-1 o'clock showing.

Now, that this is out (and they have to stop advertising in July because it might "disrupt the election"), I'm wondering who has decided to vote for whom. Just a general poll, really.

You don't have to give a reason, just give a response.
"I just don't want to die without a few scars, I say. It's nothing any more to have a beautiful stock body. You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealer's showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste."-Palahniuk
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Bush.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Because you asked: Latham. Or, to be more correct, Helen Constas, the local Labor representative. :D
Last edited by mrmooky on Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

Bush
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

VEED!!!
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Anyone BUT bush. :D
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Undecided with leanings towards Bush. Want to hold off on firm decision until I get to hear what the platforms are.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Not an american, so I say fuck the lot of 'em. The only good politician is a dead or jailed politician.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

<vc="Homer Simpson">Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.</vc>
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

So far George Bush has my vote. Should John McCain run this will change. Or if Kerry starts saying things I like hearing, and that differentiate him from Mr. Bush in some meaningful way.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Szechuan wrote:Jack Layton. Come to think of it, the election is today!
That's right! Canucks, vote! Vote early, and vote often!
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Serious Paul wrote:So far George Bush has my vote. Should John McCain run this will change. Or if Kerry starts saying things I like hearing, and that differentiate him from Mr. Bush in some meaningful way.
hasn't McCain been adament that he will not come on as a running mate this year?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

He will not be a running mate for /Kerry./ I've not heard him refuse to be Bush's veep, which he might well end up doing - and wouldn't that be a glorious thing? Four years of Bush, and then McCain is in the perfect position to run.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

If Bush could secure McCain as a running mate for VP, that would go a long way towards getting him more votes in the election. I would enjoy seeing him more than Cheney in the VP office.

[inside joke for a select few] And it's not like Bush will be making deals with Heller. [/inside joke]
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Daki wrote:[inside joke for a select few] And it's not like Bush will be making deals with Heller. [/inside joke]
Depending on who you talk to, it's not the Veep that needs the upgrade.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Heller?

Heller Kellen?
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

mrmooky wrote:Because you asked: Latham. Or, to be more correct, Helen Constas, the local Labor representative. :D
We don't even have a Federal Labor candidate yet, but I'll probably vote for them when the time comes.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I probably won't vote. No, scratch that: I /definitely/ won't vote.

Secondary question: How many of you would vote for McCain/Powell if they ran?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

3278 wrote:Secondary question: How many of you would vote for McCain/Powell if they ran?
I would vote for them in a heartbeat.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'll vote for a pretty flower. Particularly a tulip over there.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Daki wrote:
Eliahad wrote:Heller?

Heller Kellen?
Hellen Keller. And no.
Spoonerisms to the rescue! :) And good, it was more obvious than I thought :D
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

3278 wrote:I probably won't vote. No, scratch that: I /definitely/ won't vote.

Secondary question: How many of you would vote for McCain/Powell if they ran?
Aye.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah McCain has been pretty clear he is staying away from this election pretty much in every way possible. The Bush "people" have been pretty clear Cheney isn't going anywhere.

As for a Powell/McCain Ticket!!!!!!! Yeah I'd vote that. I don't care if they ran as Militant Femanazi Commies!
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Asuming that my absentee ballot paper work works out ok, I'm not sure who I'm voting for. Veed would be my first choice, though he's not elligible. So, I'll either vote for Kerry, or some obscure leftist candidate that I haven't decided on yet. Last time I went with the 'block Bush vote' and it really didn't seem to matter, so I don't know if I want to go that route again or vote for someone I actually agree with.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

3278 wrote:Secondary question: How many of you would vote for McCain/Powell if they ran?
In half a second.

In the mean time, Kerry.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I'd also vote McCain/Powell. Hell, I pondered doing a write-in, only I'd rather not waste my vote.

As for the current candidates, I am still undecided and will probably remain so for at least a couple more months until I feel I have heard enough to adequately make my decisiion.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

There is only one way I'd ever vote for Bush.

If he grabbed a shotgun and blew Cheney's head off, I'd vote for him in a second.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I don't vote. I won't until the Electoral College is disbanded.

That aside, I would not vote for Bush. My Dad'll vote for Bush because he's so old-school he's Proto-Conservative. My Grandmother is a leading member of the Bush fan club, and even though she helped elect Kelly to the Senate she'll vote Bush because he looks like my Great-Uncle James before he got all that shrapnel in his face.

I would only vote for Kelly because I dislike Bush more.

I would not vote McCain because frankly I have no idea who he is.

I would vote for General Wesley Clark, because he is more or less directly responsible for saving my brother's life.

I would vote for Colin Powell, because he's got major credibility in my book.

I would not vote for Nader or Gore because...well, I dislike both of them. Same for Hillary Ex-Clinton.

I would vote for Elizabeth Dole, if only because she's a damn sight more qualified than Bob ever was.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Ancient History wrote:I would only vote for Kelly because I dislike Bush more.
You mean Kerry? Christ, the keys aren't even anywhere near each other.
Ancient History
Demon

If all I do is transpose a damn letter, I don't give a rat's ass. Now, if I had put down Belly, then I'd have been embarrassed.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I'm hoping that McCain pulls like a 3% write-in vote, that'd be righteous.

Barring that, I'm voting against Bush, i.e. Kerry.

Which sparks another chance to skew this thread off topic--Do you really plan on voting for a candidate, or are you actually planning to vote against a candidate?
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Nash
Tasty Human

Post by Nash »

I'm only voting for Kerry because I'm voting against Bush, and Kerry is the only candidate who has any chance against him.

And if McCain/Powell ran, I'd be in the happiest of spirits to bolt down to the polls.

Unfortunately, for this election, I'm going to be bitchy and upset election day. I don't want to vote for Kerry, but, for me, leaving Bush in office is like signing a direct reason for this country to go to fucking hell.
"I just don't want to die without a few scars, I say. It's nothing any more to have a beautiful stock body. You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealer's showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste."-Palahniuk
Marius

Post by Marius »

I'm voting for Bush because the other options are - and I wish it wasn't so - worse.

I'd consider voting Democrat to avoid voting for McCain, and if you know anything aobut me, you know it's pigs flying before I think about voting Democrat.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Salvation122 wrote:
Ancient History wrote:I would only vote for Kelly because I dislike Bush more.
You mean Kerry? Christ, the keys aren't even anywhere near each other.
Senator Robert Kelly, I believe. Fuck, I can't remember what state he was from.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

I don't get to vote but if I did I don't think my vote would come as a surprise to anyone ...
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Marius wrote:I'd consider voting Democrat to avoid voting for McCain, and if you know anything aobut me, you know it's pigs flying before I think about voting Democrat.
All right, now you're the /only/ person who won't vote for McCain, so you've got to tell me why [so I can address it in time for the 2008 elections].
Marius

Post by Marius »

Simply to begin with, freedom of speech, which is probably more than enough. Campaign finance is so far John McCain's flagship. The reality of that issue is that McCain and other incumbent politicians have dismantled the first amendment, removing effective political competition for themselves.

I'm reviewing his 2000 positions now. Generally I like his budget plans, none of which he'd be able to achieve. Still, they look ok. I'm not really keen on totally elimiinating funding for the arts, but I'm sure willing to go along with it. I like that his stance is generally, lower taxes, don't worry about the federal deficit/debt, fix Social Security, increase and streamline defense funding. All non-starters, but pretty on paper.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Marius wrote:don't worry about the federal deficit/debt
That isn't an issue to worry about?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

lorg wrote:
Marius wrote:don't worry about the federal deficit/debt
That isn't an issue to worry about?
It's an issue that you can't directly effect with policy changes (or rather, the changes needed to directly affect that are likely so drastic they wouldn't get approval). And getting rid of the federal debt is nigh impossible nor is it really the best course of action for the economy.

I'd be very happy to see the deficit shrink and dissapear though.
Ancient History
Demon

Do any of you think that your vote actually matters towards electing the president? You do know that the Electoral College is not required to vote as the population does, right? Which makes the popular vote damn near meaningless.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

You do know that the Electoral College is not required to vote as the population does, right?
Actually that is largely false, from my understanding. While Federal Law does not prohibit the The Electoral College from voting differently, most States have enacted laws that prohibit it.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ancient History wrote:Do any of you think that your vote actually matters towards electing the president? You do know that the Electoral College is not required to vote as the population does, right? Which makes the popular vote damn near meaningless.
That doesn't make any sense. Even without such a requirement, the fact is that the electoral college, in almost every case ever, /has/ voted with the population. Therefore, irrespective of what /could happen,/ the fact is that people's votes /have/ counted. [Inasmuch as any single vote can "count," at least.]

I don't like the electoral college any more than you do, AH, but this isn't a valid objection.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

So because it could happen, but it hasn't happened, it's not valid to object to it?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

No. Because it could happen, but almost never happens, is not a valid reason to object on the grounds that one's vote is meaningless. The valid objection would be that one's vote /could be/ meaningless /if it did happen./ And if Moo is in fact correct, the objection would furthermore be only meaningless if all both conditions were satisfied, as well as the condition of living in one of the states where it /could happen./
Ancient History
Demon

There are three cases I know of where the popular vote did not meet with the electoral colelge vote:

Abraham Lincoln.

John F. Kennedy.

George W. Bush.

Frankly, I call that 1/1/1, at best.

[/edit] I'd like to freely admit, if it was not already obvious, that I am a paranoid, cynical bastard who doesn't trust anybody. My views may not conform with anyone else's reality, and I usually don't press if I'm ignored.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Whomever isn't Bush or Kerry.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Instant Cash wrote:Whomever isn't Bush or Kerry.
You could be one of the thousands that writes in Mickey Mouse. Or Nader. Take your pick. :D