Supersize Me makes McDonalds PR people retarded.

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Supersize Me makes McDonalds PR people retarded.

Post by Crazy Elf »

This is highly entertaining. As a result of the movie <i>Supersize Me</i>, which is as we've already discussed highly entertaining, McDonalds has gone bananas trying to clean up their image. There's been a lot of adds with scared McDonalds workers being asked what's in the food, to which they give "Sir yes sir!" replies, and McDonalds Australia has released a list of "facts" on their website, <a href=http://www.mcdonalds.com.au>here</a>.

It's all very funny, as by reacting like this, they're really giving the movie a lot more credence than it would have had usually. Note also, that the McDonalds Australia website that I've directed you to tries very hard to make claims that because it's not here in Australia, the movie must have been full of lies, and even compares the yogurt product in the movie, the yogurt parafrat or something, to a <i>completely unrelated</i> yogurt product over here.

Man, they're so stupid.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah I have wanted to see this movie since I'd first heard of it. I am anxiously awaiting it at my local Blockbuster.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I refuse to see this movie, because the author is an idiot. Like all movies of this type, the author distorts the facts to show a grossly over exagerated image of something he doesn't like.

For example, he claims if you eat McDonald's every day you'll gain 25 pounds in a month. What he fails to point out is that when he "proved" this, he ate far more then a normal person would, taking in something like 5000 calories a day. I don't care what you eat, 5000 calories will make you gain weight.

McDonald's isn't as healthy as their PR people would have you believe. But they aren't rat poison as this guy would have you believe either.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Still waiting for it to make its way across the pond to the local cinema. If not I'll settle for a dvd rip ...
Amber
Tasty Human

Post by Amber »

MooCow wrote:For example, he claims if you eat McDonald's every day you'll gain 25 pounds in a month. What he fails to point out is that when he "proved" this, he ate far more then a normal person would, taking in something like 5000 calories a day. I don't care what you eat, 5000 calories will make you gain weight.
I thought that was part of the point, that McDonald's meals are very high in calories. If you eat enough McDonald's food to satisfy your hunger, you will be getting too many calories. A normal person just doesn't eat there three times a day.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I thought that was part of the point, that McDonald's meals are very high in calories
No more so then any other food. A "Big n' Tasty", which I think is their largest sandwich, is 590 calories.
A normal person just doesn't eat there three times a day.
Which is the reason this movie is stupid. He tries to act like what he did proved something no one knew. It didn't. The kind of people who eat at McDonald's three times a day have bigger issues. You can't blame their stupidity on McDonald's any more then you can blame Johnson & Johnson if I got sick from drinking Tide.

He tries to make McDonald's out to be some great satan, when in fact they're just capitalists. If you think Capitalism is satanic, well that's a whole different argument.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

MooCow wrote:
I thought that was part of the point, that McDonald's meals are very high in calories
No more so then any other food. A "Big n' Tasty", which I think is their largest sandwich, is 590 calories.
That's just the burger. What about chips and a drink? And it's not any more filling than a salad roll, and an apple.
Which is the reason this movie is stupid. He tries to act like what he did proved something no one knew. It didn't. The kind of people who eat at McDonald's three times a day have bigger issues. You can't blame their stupidity on McDonald's any more then you can blame Johnson & Johnson if I got sick from drinking Tide.

He tries to make McDonald's out to be some great satan, when in fact they're just capitalists. If you think Capitalism is satanic, well that's a whole different argument.
I thought you hadn't seen the movie? I haven't either, so maybe I am wrong, but I saw an interview with him, and that's not how he came across to me.

(oops, Amber and crone are the same person)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

That's just the burger. What about chips and a drink?
What about it? I eat at McDonald's about once a week, and I never get fries and a drink. People who drink soda and eat fries are the same types of people who eat unhealthy at home. McDonald's is not the problem, it's just a symptom of the problem.
I thought you hadn't seen the movie? I haven't either, so maybe I am wrong, but I saw an interview with him, and that's not how he came across to me.
I haven't, so yes I may be wrong. However, this movie /is/ being picked up by the Anti-McDonalds people and touted as proof that McDonald's is EVIL.

Of course in all fairness to the author, while he couldn't have not known that was going to happen, in the end it's no worse then what McDonald's does (Providing fattening foods knowing that some people will endulge excessively). Maybe he's just a guy trying to make a quick buck doing stupid things.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

MooCow wrote:People who drink soda and eat fries are the same types of people who eat unhealthy at home.
You really are out of your fucking mind, Moo. There's not a chance in hell that you can support that statement, and I'm living proof of the fact that you're wrong. If and when I go to get something to eat at McDonalds - I can't even remember when the last time was - I usually opt for the soda and the fries.

I don't know what you consider to be moderately healthy food, but McDonalds does not come remotely close to it in my book, not even if you simply opt for the burger without a soda or fries.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

MooCow wrote:What about it? I eat at McDonald's about once a week, and I never get fries and a drink. People who drink soda and eat fries are the same types of people who eat unhealthy at home. McDonald's is not the problem, it's just a symptom of the problem.
It's part of the problem. Cheap, convenient, high-fat food that makes it easy for people to over-eat. Not that people aren't responsible for what they eat or anything.

What I like about this movie (that I haven't seen) is the idea of "it's what you do every day that counts". If you eat small amount of junk every now and then, no problem. If you eat it every day, you'll suffer for it. Maybe it's just stating the obvious but this movie graphically illustrates the concept.

It probably is an anti-corporate movie, but he comes across as good-humoured to me, not strident.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

You really are out of your fucking mind, Moo
Quite likely.
There's not a chance in hell that you can support that statement
Yeah, as ussual I over stated. However, I will stand by the statement that people who eat at McDonald's with any amount of regularity are probably making many other unhealthy choices in their lives. In the end, both statements come down to the same thing: McDonald's is not evil.
I don't know what you consider to be moderately healthy food, but McDonalds does not come remotely close to it in my book, not even if you simply opt for the burger without a soda or fries.
Did I say it was? Nope. It's absolute crap food. But so is most of the preprocessed food you buy in the grocery store.

However, I just don't buy the claim that you have to get fries and a soda. The Burger itself isn't that bad. The fries by themselves aren't that bad. The soda, by itself, is not that bad. By themselves, none of them are that bad (Not good, but it ain't rat poison). It's the combination of them all that adds up to a horrendously artery clogging meal.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

McDonald's is not the problem, it's just a symptom of the problem.
Which is almost word for word the author has said.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Which is almost word for word the author has said
The message is getting lost then. People are seeing this movie, and then blaming McDonald's for what is in the end the fault of the people.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Really the movie is good.
Yes, he is being drastic and dumb going on Micky'D's for a month.
But it gets your attention. And I think that was the point. When you see the movie he covers the overweight issue as a whole. He is not just attacking Mcdonalds. He is attacking how the great USA is one of the fattest population around. He also covers the school and what slop they feed kids.

I really think you need to see the movie before you debate on it.
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Oh come on, that would make sense. What would people say if I started making sense? Next you'll expect rational arguments. Geezus, how boring.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Yeah. :D

Seriously though I think you're the minority of people Moo when you say you don't eat the fries or get a pop. Most people do. My wife loves McDonalds. I hate it. I just hate it, especially since she likes to eat there like fifty billion meals a week.

I refuse to eat McDonalds anymore.
Last edited by Paul on Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kick Rocks
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Seriously though I think you're the minority of people Moo when you say you don't eat the fires or get a pop
Yeah, well I tried eating a fire once, and it just gave me heart burn. :p
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I avoided Mickey D's ever since a friend of mine explained what kind of stuff is put on food, and I had a lot of trouble identifying chicken nuggets from something else...

I can't remember what she said, as it's like 7 years ago.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

I just avoid fast food as much as possible. Only weakness I have is pizza. I don't care how evil or if it gives you cancer....I love pizza.
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I love the fries. That's it. I haven't had McD's fries in years though. I think if I did eat 'em, I'd probably choke on the grease and die.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Pizza, on the other hand...can be made healthy. Definitely. It just depends on how you make your pizza.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Spinach and feta, for example. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Ish :) Its usually not pizza if its made healty, its usually vegtables on cardboard that happens to look a little like pizza :7

Its a mindset. Yes the burger might be 550 calories instead of the say 300 the ones you make at home are (I have no idea, random lower number) but you usually don't eat a burger by itself at home (potato salad, or veggies, or something) so there's the feeling that there should be something more there.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

I think I still have a movie around here done on my little brother's camcorder.

They videotaped the 'food' preparation at Hungry Jacks. (aka Burger King) I haven't eaten there since.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Nick DiPaolo on 'Tough Crowd' wrote:If you eat anything for a month you're gonna get sick. You could eat Heidi Klum for a month and you're gonna get sick--at least one of those weeks.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Dvixen
Tasty Human

Post by Dvixen »

MooCow wrote:
Not all calories are equal.

Not all carbs are equal.

Not all fats are equal.

Not all proteins are equal.

Once people realise that, they can make better eating choices.

It's possible to eat a high calorie diet and be healthier than some one eating half the calories (with poorer food choices, obviously)

The headline readers will see this movie and panic, and switch McD's with something equally unhealthy. A few might even educate themselves and find out WHY most of McD's menu are unhealthy choices.

Then there are those (like me) who decided McD's was evil and stopped going years ago - who find this movie a damned entertaining thing with the havoc it is creating.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

I see sequels or copy-cat movies where the target is Burger King, Pizza Hut etc etc ... They will all come to the same conclusion.
Dvixen
Tasty Human

Post by Dvixen »

Maybe one will be done Blair Witch style, cause you know that was SUCH a cool way to film a movie that had no redeeming qualities.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

The headline readers will see this movie and panic, and switch McD's with something equally unhealthy. A few might even educate themselves and find out WHY most of McD's menu are unhealthy choices.
And that's exactly my problem with this movie, and why I don't believe the author actually has any desire to educate the population. He did it in such a way that's it's guaranteed that the people who really need to hear the message (that Mcdonald's is just a symptom of the larger problem of the way we eat) will completely miss the message. I think he's just a guy out to make a buck.

(Which is fine btw, more power to him. Just don't try to bullshit me with any other story.)
Then there are those (like me) who decided McD's was evil
That's bullshit. McDonald's is no more evil then candy and alcohol. I eat McDonald's about once a week and I'm healthy. McDonald's is not evil, people are stupid.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

MooCow wrote:And that's exactly my problem with this movie, and why I don't believe the author actually has any desire to educate the population. He did it in such a way that's it's guaranteed that the people who really need to hear the message (that Mcdonald's is just a symptom of the larger problem of the way we eat) will completely miss the message.
Not if they actually bother to see the movie. Spurlock made it pretty fucking clear that McDonalds was only a symptom of a much larger social problem. But don't bother actually trying to educate yourself. You wouldn't want someone to bullshit you with the truth.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Not if they actually bother to see the movie. Spurlock made it pretty fucking clear that McDonalds was only a symptom of a much larger social problem. But don't bother actually trying to educate yourself. You wouldn't want someone to bullshit you with the truth.
Look fuck off Mooky. You're completely missing my point. I don't care what he does /in the movie/, because most people won't go see the movie. Even if they do, they'll still misunderstand it. I know people who have seen the movie, and all they came away with is "McDonald's is evil". Unless Fucklock is a complete moron, which I doubt, he /knew/ that was going to happen.

This movie is sensationalist crap. I refuse to give money to these type of people. They don't actually educate the population, they just inflame the population.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Or you should reread Mooky's post again, Moo, and stop with the kneejerk attitude.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Dvixen wrote:Maybe one will be done Blair Witch style, cause you know that was SUCH a cool way to film a movie that had no redeeming qualities.
:lol

I laughed at that even if no one else decided to admit they did!
MooCow wrote:They don't actually educate the population, they just inflame the population.
You know of course, I am sure you really do, that sometimes an eraged or inflammed public educates itself, and makes the right decisions?
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Look fuck off Mooky. You're completely missing my point. I don't care what he does /in the movie/, because most people won't go see the movie. Even if they do, they'll still misunderstand it. I know people who have seen the movie, and all they came away with is "McDonald's is evil". Unless Fucklock is a complete moron, which I doubt, he /knew/ that was going to happen.
This movie is sensationalist crap. I refuse to give money to these type of people. They don't actually educate the population, they just inflame the population.
Being that I seen the movie I did walk away with information. No, I did not walk away thinking McDonald’s was evil. Its common sense that all fast food for the most part is crap. That you are fooling yourself thinking that its not.
But guess what?? He does cover how being over weight is now becoming an epidemic and that the food industries (not just fast food) is part of the problem. The other problem is with schools not doing their part to educate kids on health and they are not focusing on the importance on exercise. They feed the kids all kinds of junk food instead of giving the healthy food. With him eating crap and gaining weight you see what problems start to happen. His blood pressure goes up, he is sluggish, gets depression….and so on. He made an example out of himself. Showing that being over weight is just bad for you. You have nothing but problems “health wise” to look forward to.
Seeing the movie you could in no way miss the message. Its what the whole movie is about.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

MooCow wrote:I don't care what he does /in the movie/, because most people won't go see the movie. Even if they do, they'll still misunderstand it.
So why is what you're saying only true of this particular movie? I mean, you could say the same thing about A Brief History Of Time: "I don't need to actually read it, because most people won't read it. And most of those who do will still misunderstand it. It shits me that Hawking is allowed to write anything."
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Thank you for saving me a post, Mooky. That's better than I could have said it.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

So why is what you're saying only true of this particular movie?
I never said it was. Start a post about A Brief History of Time, and I'll say the same thing about it. :D
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

At least you're consistent. :D
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

At least you're consistent.
Thank you. I try to be as consistent a troll as I can be. ;)
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

MooCow wrote:
At least you're consistent.
Thank you. I try to be as consistent a troll as I can be. ;)
Trolls are by nature consistent. Ask a troll at any time of day what he'd like to do, I'll guarantee he'll say eat brains. Or perhaps eat cats. But definately eat...
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Thank you. I try to be as consistent a troll as I can be
But I thought you were a cow? Cow troll?? :wideeyes
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Well.... Dad is pretty ugly.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Ooh. Didn't scroll up and see 32's post earlier.

Glad I could be of some assistance.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Moo wrote:That's bullshit. McDonald's is no more evil then candy and alcohol. I eat McDonald's about once a week and I'm healthy.
No, Moo, you're overweight.
Dvixen
Tasty Human

Post by Dvixen »

Crazy Elf wrote:
Moo wrote:That's bullshit. McDonald's is no more evil then candy and alcohol. I eat McDonald's about once a week and I'm healthy.
He's evil too.
Dvixen
Tasty Human

Post by Dvixen »

MooCow wrote:
Then there are those (like me) who decided McD's was evil
That's bullshit. McDonald's is no more evil then candy and alcohol.
Dude, you forgot Microsoft.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Umm.... No I'm not.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

I'll vouch for him there. Unhealthy? Maybe. Fat? No.
Kick Rocks
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Not even unhealthy, medically speaking. My % body fat is 16, and when I last had my Cholesterol and Blood Pressure checked two months ago it was within the healthy range for my age group.

I make unhealthy choices that's true, but I call that "Living".[/quote]
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

ok. then you're unhealthy in your head. After all, you named a cat Cancer, which is too fitting, considering that your other cat is named Morris, after a cig company, if I'm right.