Absolute TERROR

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Absolute TERROR

Post by EvanMoore »

Okay. I don't like anime. Not that I hate it, just that it hasn't done anything for me since I watched Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets and Starblazers.

And I said as much in a thread here at Bulldrek.

So, someone loaned me a copy of Cowboy Bebop. I figured I would give it the benefit of the doubt and watch it.

I really enjoyed it. In fact, I want to watch more of the series. This one DVD is simply not enough for me. It was engaging, interesting and fun.

Now the real problem....

...this means that it is possible--however remote--that if I sit down and watch wrestling, the same thing will happen.

Which is where the "Absolute TERROR" title of this thread comes from...

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Naw, Cowboy Bebop is ten times better than wrestling.

For example, Spike could kick The Rock's ass.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

"could"?

I think he did!

I love the style, too. Calmly washing his hands next to the guy he's tracking.

Smoothe.

But, they give Faye way too much credit...

Evan
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

"could"?

I think he did!

I love the style, too. Calmly washing his hands next to the guy he's tracking.

Smoothe.

But, they give Faye way too much credit...

Evan
Crucible
Tasty Human

She's a regular...

Post by Crucible »

Faye's a regular, as you will see...
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Ok Thread Hijack time. :)

I suspect everyone’s view will be different but... Since I only Anime I can remember watching was 'Ghost in the Shell' which was good, but merely 'good', what recommendations does anyone have on what else I can watch. I know a LOT of people rave about Manga/Anime but I also know some of it is indispensable and some of it is, how shall I phrase this, VERY dispensable. So what titles can people say are good to get me started watching, and not make me run in terror and not look back?
_<font color="#5C7898">"You know, Memory?
I'd have to say that you are one cool, fucked-up guy.
Just like the rest of us.
It's a pleasure reading your posts in the morning over a cup of coffee. “ – JetPlane</font>
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

I'd hazard a guess and say "Cowboy Bebop".

I'll kick my sister and ask for more (won't be until next week, though), it'll be interesting to see how her suggestions stack up against the forum's
<hr size=1 color=#5c7898><font face=font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#6600FF>The more I overcome, the stronger I become
- Angel of Ruin<a href=http:\/www.chaosengine.com>.</a></font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Depends what genre you like. Anime is a style of creation, not a subject matter in its own right. You can find as many different genres in anime as in regular film/TV, although admittedly it tends to focus on common themes.

Examples...

Light fluffy stuff:
* Ranma 1/2
* Tenchi Muyo (esp. the TV series)
* Sailor *gak* Moon *gak*

Tech/supernatural stuff:
* Spriggan
* Neon Genesis Evangelion
* 3x3 Eyes

Space opera:
* Some Tenchi Muyo (esp. the OAVs)
* Macross Plus (and other Macross, which isn't nearly so good)

Techy/action stuff:
* Anything by Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed [although the anime sucks ass, read the manga instead])
etc.

Drama: [in the sense of stuff that relies on emotion for impact, rather than action or concepts]
* Ah My Goddess
* Battle Angel Alita

Now, those aren't necessarily recommendations - just an illustration that really, it depends on what kind of style and subject you prefer. If you let us know what you're interested in, the real anime geeks (I'm only a proto-otaku) can help you out more. (And I'll be interested to read their recommendations myself.)

Also, note that some series have quite different names - 3x3 Eyes is also called Sazan Eyes; Battle Angel Alita is aka Gunnm (I think), and so on. That can be confusing until you know what's what. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

We all know I could go on for days about anime stuff.

Step 1 - figure out what kind of movies you like
Step 2 - Visit www.animeondvd.com and take a look at the AoD Recommends section
Step 3 - Tell me and the others here what movies you like and we'll give you some suggestions.

Straight off-hand, I'd recommend Cowboy Bebop and the Ah! My Goddess movie as both have a wide range of involvement and extremly good production values. Everything else that's out depends on what you like.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

What I'd really recommend is my all-time favourite: Ninja Scrolls. Soo coo' words can hardly describe its coo'ness. :D
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Ninja Scroll is what I tell all newcomers to anime to watch.

If you can find a copy, I also recommend "The Professional: Golgo-13". A very adult James Bond type movie. Also in the hard to find category is "Neo-Tokyo" but that one has been out of production for almost 7 years now.
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Thanks for the link Toryu. Looking at that 2 questions.

I've heard of Princess Mononoke (but only since Neil Gaiman is doing the film adaptation) is the original any good? Also I saw Crying Freeman on a friends shelves once which he said was good.. opinions.

All of this is, of course, dependent on me getting hold of the videos/dvds at some point...

Sorrow what was the name of the D&D plot oriented one you mentioned?
It's a pleasure reading your posts in the morning over a cup of coffee. “ – JetPlane</font>
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I enjoyed Crying Freeman a great deal (both the anime and film versions). Princess Mononoke was pretty good if a little slow in parts.
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

*racks brain*

Record of Lodoss War (?Spelling). I think. As I understand it, the plot was someone's D&D campaign.

I'm pretty sure my sister was raving about Mononoko, too.
<hr size=1 color=#5c7898><font face=font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#6600FF>The more I overcome, the stronger I become
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

Thanks, Daki. It bugs me when I can't remember stuff like that. I ran into a couple of reviews for the video releases, I'll have to see if I can find the mags anywhere.
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Reading the review on AoD I /have/ to see this film...

the God of Light is named Falis
and one of the party (the thief) is named WoodChuck.

:lol
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

RoLW is one of my favorites, actually ^_^

I wouldn't direct people new to anime to Ninja Scroll simply because its got three things that can majorly turn people off anime forever, 1)Graphic violence, 2)Explict sexual scenes, 3) Coarse language. True, it has excellent story and georgeous animation, but I wouldn't say it was a good choice as a first anime film.

Okay, a brief summary of my top five intro films/series:

Record of Lodoss War OAVs
- A very easily related to series for anyone's who ever played or knows about D&D. Excellent music, outstanding animation detail, belieable characters for a high fantasy setting. Unfortunatly, the dub is one of the worst out there, it hacks a good deal of the story apart, and changes the feel of the characters a great deal.

Slayers TV
- Absolutely nothing but straight up fantasy comedy. Laugh until it hurts and watch some more. Magic, swords, big huge plot, but funny antics in the interium. Also an excellent, excellent dub cast, one of the few shows where the dub is equal to if not better than the subtitles.

Castle of Cagliostro
- Lupin III in style. Miyazaki's direction plus traditional Lupin gags and just a big can of whoop ass style to boot. Funny, cool, weird and just great all in an hour and a half, sub or dub.

Macross Plus
- Commence drooling. Absolutly stunning animation, fantastic georgous songs from Yoko Kanno (composer for Cowboy Bebop as well), a completely character driven plot that is the focus but doesn't take anything away from the coolest action sequences I have seen to date. This was the first anime I ever bought, and I bought it dubbed because it was so well done. I'm wearing out my tapes :)

Oh My Goddess!
- For those who don't like the action so much, another excellent OAV series with beautiful characters, a very different plot, and just all around goodness. The english dub is good, but even if you don't watch the whole thing, at least listen to the sub cast, all of the 3 female leads have expressive voices, and all three are also Japanese singers independant of their voice acting. The Ah My Goddess Movie is also truly excellent, but you get so much more out of it if you have seen the OAvs first, and/or read the (still ongoing in Japan!) manga.
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

I'm not a hardcore anime fan by any means, but I know what I like:

-Ranma 1/2 is ferkin' funny shite at times. Good stuff.
-Ghost in the Shell, if you can get by the arbitrary nudity ;)
-Patalabor wasn't too bad.
-Princess Mononoke was fun. Good voice acting.
-The Guyver stuff might be your game. Wasn't mine, but not bad.
-Fist of the North Star. Considered "classic" but too cheesy for my tastes.
-For a particularly laughable example, "The Crystal Triangle." God is a caterpillar! :D
-Jeezum Crowe. What's the one with Uni and Anna Puma? That one was pretty good.

And last but not least...

/Motherfucking/ Vampire Hunter D, baby. Sweet, sweet stuff. D is hella cool, and it has the atmosphere of a Castlevania game. Fun, fun stuff.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Ryan Murphy wrote: -Jeezum Crowe. What's the one with Uni and Anna Puma? That one was pretty good.
DOMINION:Tank Police!

It still wins as my favorite 'goofy' anime. Ghost in the Shell is the shiznitz for me.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Harley667
Bulldrekker

Post by Harley667 »

*Harley waves his brand new limited edition 2 DVD boxed set of Akira*

TESTSUOOOOOOOOO!

Absolutely cracking film. Ghost in the Shell rocks also. :)
Last edited by Harley667 on Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we all love napalm...theres one thing we've learned...that we all love napalm...its the way that it burns...
~Apprentice Thread Slayer~
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Make sure you get the original Dominion Tank Police movies... not the New Dominion Tank Police.

Just wait till you see the *ahem* tank mines the kats use.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Ack!

I totally forgot about the Akira re-release. I need a copy, at least to watch.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Harley667
Bulldrekker

Post by Harley667 »

Caz: Whaooor! Its dead good. All shiny and everything. In a black box. And its shiny. And it goes 'TetsUOOOOO!' at you a lot. :)
And we all love napalm...theres one thing we've learned...that we all love napalm...its the way that it burns...
~Apprentice Thread Slayer~
Anaka
Tasty Human

My contribution

Post by Anaka »

Trigun! 1st 13 episodes are silly, second 13 are pretty dark. It's another space western themed series, but that's really about all it has in common with Cowboy Bebop. Still, that genre is a lot of fun. I really enjoyed Trigun, and I'm not a huge anime fan generally.
_ "If you didn't want everyone to wish they could own a little piece of your universe, you probably should have thought of that before you manufactured all those lunch boxes."
--Thorn, purveyor of cool quotes
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Really, it's hard to go wrong with Space Western/Film Noir genre Anime.

That said, I'd recommend the following:

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
The Big O
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Thanks for the recomendations guys. By the way (non-anime guy being thick here) what does 'OAV' stand for? I keep seeing it mentioned.
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Memory wrote:Thanks for the recomendations guys. By the way (non-anime guy being thick here) what does 'OAV' stand for? I keep seeing it mentioned.
Original Animated...er...something.

It's the anime equivalent of a made-for-television movie or miniseries or straight-to-video production within an existing series. Usually an hour or two long.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

OAV = Original Animated Video = Original Video Animation = OVA

Basically, direct to video, usually much higher production budget, but shorter series. About a half to 2/3 of anime licensed is movies or OAVs. Anything with less than 26 episodes is usually OAV material.
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Hear ye, hear ye! Let it be known that Wild fire is a 'True Gem' (tm)! (Ok I nicked that off Mr. Shultz but don't let on ;) - However WF is spot on in her descriptions of Anime.)

So on several people's recomendations I bought

- Oh My Goddess! Vol 1
- Akira
and
- Castle of Cagliostro

on DVD. (I'm also going to aquire Record of Lodoss War, Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop as soon as I can find them on DVD)

CoC - is funny. Stupid, action packed but above all funny. I couldn't help grinning most of the way though.

OMG! - is cute and fluffy and also has a grin etched on my face. (Haven't got to the end of it yet - I've bought Volume 1 I may pick up Vol 2 tomorrow)

Akira - I haven't got around to watching yet. Needless to say it's the same box set Harley has just purchased.

Also on the shelf I saw 'X' and 'Blood' anyone watched them? Aswell as 'Bubblegum Crisis' but that looked tacky (pardon the pun)- I could be wrong.

So basicly what I'm saying is thanks for all the reviews guys (and girls), keep them coming. :D
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

I was watching the "extras" on the Cowboy Bebop and I have to say, I really am glad this was the dubbed version. If I had had to listen to that high pitched, choppy voice they had for Faye, I would have put my foot through the TV screen.

...or pressed the "STOP" button. <grin>

Evan
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

EvanMoore wrote:I was watching the "extras" on the Cowboy Bebop and I have to say, I really am glad this was the dubbed version. If I had had to listen to that high pitched, choppy voice they had for Faye, I would have put my foot through the TV screen.
Here's a fun thing to try with the Bebop discs- Turn on the english subtitles, then turn on the english audio at the same time. The subtitles are not the same as the dubbed dialogue :)
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

They never are. They wouldn't fit.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Eva wrote:They never are. They wouldn't fit.
In this case, the subtitles are the literal translation, while the dub actors are given a bit of freedom to translate idioms and the like. The effect is quite amusing, as the literal translations are fairly clunky, but the voice actors for Bebop do a damned great job of making the dub make sense.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Always the sign of a good dub, which is why I also rate Slayers and Macross Plus as good dubs. Not only arte the voice actors doing a good job of not sounding like they are reading from a book, but the script authors let them have some freedom without letting the script deviate too radically froom the translated dialogue.

For Memory, Blood I have not seen, but the reviews all say it is excellent, but leaves you with the feeling that you just watched the first half of a potentially interesting series. YMMV on how much that would bug you. X is a little weird, its another cramming of tons of manga into an hour and a half, and it ends up leaving me with the feeling that they kind of hit the high points and said screw the plot development, but a lot of people really like it. BGC is tacky, but its also mid-eightes(?) and the first real power armour suit type show. Its worth a watch just because you see a lot of its influence in later stuff, but I don't know its its worth a buy. BGC 2040 is just wrong IMHO, but then again I don't like rewrites :)

More good stuff:

El-Hazard: The Magnificant World - A druken martial artist, magic, a demon, and romance in all the wrong places :) Also a great dub, absolutely astouding compared to the other dubs of its time. (Can we tell I'm trying really hard to not let my sub bias show here?)

Sol Bianca: The Legacy - A very different style of mostly cel over CGI, eye candy all the way plus kick ass weapondry and cool characters. The dubs just eh compared to the sub, but the sound balance sounds funny to me.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Caz said:]/b]
It still wins as my favorite 'goofy' anime. Ghost in the Shell is the shiznitz for me.

Are you kidding? Have you forgotten Demon-Hunter Yoko??

We once, on a seriously misguided whim, rented Weather Report Girl 2 (1 was no available). When we took it back to the video store, I attempted to tactfully tell the clerk that they may want to consider putting one of their "Only for 18 and older" stickers on it. The clerk looked at me like I was a freak. I should have just told her to play it - the lesbian oral sex scene at the beginning would have made her see the "light". sigh.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Hmm speaking of 18 or older, no one has mentioned one of my favorites::

Wicked City.

Heh.

As with anything Anime is dependant on your tastes. I personally hate the Macross stuff. It drives me ape shit. I loved Black Magic M66, which a lot of people I know hate. Other familiar titles might include::

Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, and Jin Roh-a title I want to see.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Wicked City is only for those who like that style. Otherwise it could really turn someone away from anime. I like it, but that's just me.

Oh, and Evan, that high pitched voice? It's common. VERY common. To the point where receptionists are often sent to classes to learn to speak that way. It's considered sexy.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Daki wrote: Oh, and Evan, that high pitched voice? It's common. VERY common. To the point where receptionists are often sent to classes to learn to speak that way. It's considered sexy.
<shudder>

<SHUDDER>

Evan
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Update #2:

My Anime DVD colection has increased again. It now consists of:

- Oh! My Goddess Vol 1 & 2
- Akira
- Castle of Cagliostro
- Ghost in the Shell
- Princess Mononoke

I've seen on the shelf, and may get:

- Ninja Scrolls
- The Professional: Golgo-13

(Both of which were recommended by Daki)

I want (Read I'll buy as soon as I see them):
- Cowboy Bebop
- Macross Plus
- Record of Lodoss War

Reviews:

- Oh! My Goddess Vol 1 & 2

Watched Vol 1 enjoyed it imensly althought I also found it cringe worty in places and kept wishing the lead char would develop a backbone.

- Akira

I'm 20 mins in. It looks good I intent to finish it this weekend.

- Castle of Cagliostro

I absolutly love this movie. I watched it sub'd the first time and am going back thought it dub'd. Which is actually more enjoyable. *shrug*

- Ghost in the Shell

Haven't watched it yet. But I remember a few bits of it from watching Harley's copy.

- Princess Mononoke

Also 20 mins into this. I love the animation.

So, any other recommendations?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Memory:: You saw Golgo 13 - The Professional at the store?!? *FAINT*

You're sure it wasn't "The Queen Bee" tape?
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Daki wrote: Memory:: You saw Golgo 13 - The Professional at the store?!? *FAINT*
Yep. *throws a glass of water at Daki* :)
Daki wrote: You're sure it wasn't "The Queen Bee" tape?
If I knew what you meant I'd be more sure ;) but it DID say 'Golgo 13' on the box. And the cover looked like this:

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/img/video/co ... /78/29.jpg

[EDIT: Replaced picture with link]
Last edited by Memory on Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatWendigo
Bulldrekker

Post by ThatWendigo »

I'm about as unpretentious about anime as it gets. I watch what looks good to me, and I don't research how much of a departure it is from the original manga/japanese dialgue/what have you.

As such, my current collection looks something like this:
Princess Monoke
Vampire Hunter D
Demon City Shinjuku
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell

I used to like renting and watching the Macross videos, but they're not worth buying, imo. Oh, and just as an addition to drive wild up the wall, all of mine are dubbed. :D
_"Men are never convinced of your reasons, of your sincerity, of the seriousness of your sufferings, except by your death. So long as you are alive, your case is doubtful; you have a right only to your skepticism. "<br>
-Albert Camus
Glyph
Tasty Human

Post by Glyph »

I would also recommend the Project A-ko series, but only after you have watched a lot of other anime. It is essentially a parody of a lot of elements from other anime, so if you watch it before you have seen a lot of anime, you won't understand the things they are ripping on (space battles, including a captain based on Harlock, school girls with super-powers, giant mecha, annoying girls with squeaky voices, etc.).
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Memory: for OMG, don't worry Keiichi(sp?) does good in the 2nd DVD, you'll love it :) CoC is good either way, I just have bad memories of the first dub by Streamline with was really awful. The new one is definitly good.

Other things, like I said El-Hazard - The Magnificent World is really great. There's a few other series (Alternate World, El-Hazard 2) but for once the go chronologically, so they would make no sense without watching the first series. Sol Bianca is very neat, if nothing else for extreme eye candy. Hmmm....Sorcerous Stabber Orphen looks good, but its just now finishing up a release here, so I don't know if you could even get it. Crest of the Stars if you like hard sci-fi, its based on a series of prize-winning novels, again I don't know about availablility. And Slayers for comedy of course.

Wendigo: Well, none of those have atrocious dubs :) Really, I have no issue with dubs, I'm glad they're out there for most things. Its just the occasional series like Record of Lodoss War where they completely miscast characters or Orphen where they literally re-wrote key points of the story that I don't like.

I just prefer subs, but with DVDs, I'll usually check out both tracks. The other thing usually is continuity. When they make a movie for a series, they get the same actors for the roles if possible, but US companies often pick up rights differently(You're Under Arrest TV is AnimEigo, while the movie is ADV, Cowboy Bebop is Bandai(?) and the movie is Columbia/TriStar). Rarely will the lisencor of a movie make an effort, or listen to the fans suggestion, to have the actors from the series reprise their roles. That break in character sound is hard sometimes. (And manditory yay ADV for listening to everyone's petition and signing the original Coastal Carolina YUA team for the movie as well.)
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Update #3:

I've just finished Princess Mononoke - WOW! :eek

I can see why it toped the Japanesse charts for so long. The animation, the music, the depth. It was amazing. I'm VERY glad I bought it. :)

You may tell from this that I was impressed. ;)

I'm now starting on the Sci-Fi titles (Ghost in the Shell and Akira).

And I'll probably end up getting Golgo & Ninja Scroll.
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

Don't forget Vampire Hunter D! ;)

And Keith David rocked out as the wolf in Mononoke :)
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

Update number whatever: CoC was hysterical. Princess Mononoke was quite simply stunning ... and Memory now has Ninja Scroll. We got as far as watching the trailers yesterday, I think he's actually watched all of it since.

Harley looks at the trailers: "This is wrong. This is very wrong"